• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Elden Ring crosses 20 million copies

Yamanoi

I paid $70 for this tag
Pronouns
He/Him
Doesn't mention shipped / sold but it isn't included in any gaming subscription to inflate numbers.

That could just mean users, which I think would include other accounts per game.

Still, great achievement. Excited to get to this game later this year.

That could just mean users, which I think would include other accounts per game.

Still, great achievement. Excited to get to this game later this year.
Apologies, you are correct about what I said wrt numbers since the English Tweet didn't mention anything specific. I'll be sure to include the disclaimer next time.

FromSoft clarified that it "sold over 20 million worldwide" here so there's that:

Apologies, you are correct about what I said wrt numbers since the English Tweet didn't mention anything specific. I'll be sure to include the disclaimer next time.

FromSoft clarified that it "sold over 20 million worldwide" here so there's that:

You don't have to apologize. I was just wondering. It's cool to see it sold 20 million! From Soft stays winning!

I had some issues with Elden Ring, but there's no doubt it's a high quality game. Starscourge Radahn is my favorite boss in a FromSoftware game. Still remember finally beating him solo, after many attempts. Malenia too, and she was as much of a nightmare as everyone said she'd be.

I want a Bloodborne remaster and sequel so bad.

Going by the Gematsu article ER sold an additional 3.4 million copies since June 2022.

What happened to cause such a large drop in sales over a 6 month period? You would think the game would have sold well during the holiday period.

Bravo, that's a lot of copies. Well deserved!

It's the only From Soft game I've enjoyed, and since I never thought I would enjoy a From Soft game so that was pretty cool honestly.
Top 5 for me last year

Going by the Gematsu article ER sold an additional 3.4 million copies since June 2022.

What happened to cause such a large drop in sales over a 6 month period? You would think the game would have sold well during the holiday period.

It's still a hardcore game - it opened extremely high - way above expectations and maintaining such a pace is impossible. It has continued to sell well, it was the 7th best selling games in the US in December and 6th best in January. 3.4M additional copies in a 6 month period is still great, not every single game can contine a ridiculous pace for an extended time.

Still haven't played this yet but I might end up getting a Steam Deck soon and this is probably the perfect game for that. All I know is when this game came out discussion about it was everywhere and my friends were obsessed with it, in a way I hadn't seen since BOTW.

I still have a backlog of other From game to get to, so I dunno if I'll wait to play this after those.

Despite all the gripes I have with this game, it is undeniably a great game, and I am happy to see them succeed.

Happy, but also sad that the "classic" Souls formula is most likely dead with this massive success.

As BOTW was not afraid to borrow from both Skyrim and Dark Souls, and considering that Aonuma didn't shy away from admitting that his staff played a lot of RDR2, I sure hope that the staff of TOTK took a good look at what Elden Ring does in some aspects, and especially the way dungeons, lore and loot are part of the overworld in an almost organic manner. It may be a bit late for TOTK, though 1 full year is 1/5-1/6 of the dev time, but it could be a good inspiration for a future DLC.

How similar to the Dark Souls games is it? I.e., that slow lumbering combat? Dull gray environments? I enjoyed my 10 hours of DS1 playing online with a friend but boy was it a dull, boring world. I can't imagine making that type of gray world into an open world. Does it have a bit more color, variety, faster combat?

How similar to the Dark Souls games is it? I.e., that slow lumbering combat? Dull gray environments? I enjoyed my 10 hours of DS1 playing online with a friend but boy was it a dull, boring world. I can't imagine making that type of gray world into an open world. Does it have a bit more color, variety, faster combat?

You aren't going to enjoy Elden Ring. It's basically Dark Souls 4 in an incredible open world.

Well deserved for what is easily one of the greatest games ever made. Hopefully some DLC is in the works.

Elden Ring makes great strides in terms of making the combat more agile, and the general flow of the game much quicker. It's also a gorgeous game, with a variety of lush environments. I replayed Dark Souls recently, and this is all very apparent.

I love this game. It is the only other game to have given me the same feelings of excitement, wonder, scale, and discovery as BOTW.

I still have no shame about using mimic tear and hoarfrost stomp to beat Malenia. If she's gonna cheat, I will too. Otherwise the game is absolutely fantastic, the haligtree is probably one of the best designed areas ever looks wise.

Nobody else quite makes games like FROMSoft. I'm so glad to see them be successful. Elden Ring isn't perfect by any means, but I do think it is the most perfect open world game.

Thanks for the input. I like that it appears to have more lush environments. Since I'm still on the fence I think I'll wait for a decent sale, that way if it's too much like Dark Souls it won't be a huge loss. I just can't see 20 million people agreeing buying this game as a bad thing, so something must be amazing!

Well deserved. Far and away the best game of 2022, easily the best FS game, and probably in my Top 20 games ever. One of the few times when the game actually lived up to the hype.

Now if only more FS games came to Switch…

This game is great

I haven’t come close to beating it yet and need to start over at this point probably

But it rules. Well deserved

Well earned, every single sale! What a phenomenal experience.

I'm honestly surprised the saturation point wasn't several million units ago, I have zero predicting ability with this game.

when there is a switch successor, i really hope that from soft is fast to port Elden Ring to it. Heck, maybe as a launch title. That would be such a great start for the next platform. And since it also released on last gen, a port to switch 2 (or whatever) should not be to hard!

when there is a switch successor, i really hope that from soft is fast to port Elden Ring to it. Heck, maybe as a launch title. That would be such a great start for the next platform. And since it also released on last gen, a port to switch 2 (or whatever) should not be to hard!

Unfortunately, I don't think that technical limitations are the reason why From games haven't been ported besides DS1.
DS2 and 3 were low hanging fruits and we never received those. Hell, considering what's been ported to Switch, I'm pretty sure that Sekiro is feasible without too much compromising the experience.
I think that both parties are just not too interested by each other. I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, I don't think that technical limitations are the reason why From games haven't been ported besides DS1.
DS2 and 3 were low hanging fruits and we never received those. Hell, considering what's been ported to Switch, I'm pretty sure that Sekiro is feasible without too much compromising the experience.
I think that both parties are just not too interested by each other. I hope I'm wrong.

And yeah, FS just doesn't seem to be to interested in porting games after they are done, if the publisher is not pushing for it.
And seeing how even DS1 had to be ported as an ...almost port of the original, im not sure if there wouldn't have to be a looot of engine optimizations to get it onto the switch. Just look at how bad DS games did run on PC, and how even PS4 versions struggled a lot of the time.

Thats why ER on switch2 should not just be possible, it should actually be easy, since its already on a platform we expect to be bellow what the successor can do, meaning quick porting the baseline, and then seeing how far it can push is an option, instead of tediously optimizing till it works.

Im close to beating it. Its literally THE GAME that got my partner to explore outside of the Nintendo ecosystem and is thier current GOAT. They are about to beat it before me and now I feel pressured to wrap it up.

Thanks for the input. I like that it appears to have more lush environments. Since I'm still on the fence I think I'll wait for a decent sale, that way if it's too much like Dark Souls it won't be a huge loss. I just can't see 20 million people agreeing buying this game as a bad thing, so something must be amazing!
Anecdotally, I've had several friends that bounced off of Dark Souls but decided to give Elden Ring a shot. They ended up absolutely loving it, and then ended up going back and playing Demon's/Dark Souls after it and ended up loving those as well. I think it's the best entry point into the FROMSoft design philosophy at this point.

There's a chance you'll go into it and gain a new appreciation for what the older games are going for! And if you don't, that's okay too, plenty of people only like Elden Ring as well.

Crazy to see From grow from this little company that made weird games into what it is now. Elden Ring itself is excellent; the world is filled with interesting things to discover. I watched my GF play through it first, and I played after her. She ended up surprised at all the things I found that she didn't! There was a whole way to bypass the big lift that she never found at all. My experience reminded me a lot of when I played BotW, only it was way better since I could be a girl and get married to Ranni. While the game as a whole fails to live up to the PS3 version of Demon's Souls, few things can, so I can't fault it too much for that. Excited to see what's next in the Soulsbornekiring series!

Back
Top Bottom