• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News El Shaddai ASCENSION OF THE METATRON HD Remaster coming to Nintendo Switch on April 28th (out now!)

mazi

picross pundit
A Switch version of El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron is in development, director Sawaki Takeyasu revealed today. That news was shared in a message posted on YouTube.

Additional information will follow on April 28, 2022. That day happens to be El Shaddai’s 11th anniversary.

Awesome game, well worth checking out if you haven’t played it before :)

This game is really cool, great to hear it will be playable on Switch.

Oh boy this game.

Wearing jeans, armor that's as protective as tissue paper. Lucifer with a phone.

The sword is cool though I like that.

It doesn't get much weirder than Japanese cartoon action transliterated from obscure ancient Hebrew theology. And I'm all for it!

Once you learn that among the accepted possible interpretations is one that means "God of Breasts" everything falls into place.

Huh.

So, El Shaddai is not a good game. It is, in fact, blatantly unfinished. I'd go so far to call it the "low-budget action game version of Xenogears." But like Xenogears, it is kind of a work of art, in some weird sense.

The game was basically a tech demo for what the PS3 could achieve in terms of abstract visuals. It has some great imagery, especially near the beginning. Sadly, the best part of the game is literally the opening credit sequence.

"Progress report" doesn't sound good. Feels like it won't include a release date. Though I still expect the game in Q1 2024.

Sigh...
Wasn't this game supposed to release like April 2023?
April 24 will be totally lost into either switch 2 hype or "who need switch game, just announce switch 2 already"

I'd like to play this game but it's sad that they're so late.

Port looks good though. I'll buy this.

reviews New
a few switch reviews are out

CGMagazine (9/10):
If you missed it back in 2011, El Shaddai ASCENSION OF THE METATRON HD Remaster is a second chance to experience a MUST PLAY in gaming.

Nintendo Life (8/10):
El Shaddai feels genuinely more creative and interesting than a lot of the titles it would consider bedfellows today. It shares a place with the likes of ICO, Nier, and Panzer Dragoon in its arcane design and historically inspired symbolism. Elsewhere, it borrows from the likes of Okami and Mizuguchi's Rez for its abstract, acid-trip beauty. It's true that the combat can become routine, the platforming occasionally frustrate, and some of the boss encounters appear slightly samey, but it runs smoothly and assuredly across 11 visually astounding stages. El Shaddai, more than anything else, is a game of moments, and a lot of them. It's certainly one of the most intriguing titles in the action-adventure, hack-and-slash genre, and deserves the attention this time around that it never achieved on its original release.

Last edited:
Sigh...
Wasn't this game supposed to release like April 2023?
April 24 will be totally lost into either switch 2 hype or "who need switch game, just announce switch 2 already"

I'd like to play this game but it's sad that they're so late.

Port looks good though. I'll buy this.

It's funny reading this on April 27, 2024.

I totally forgot this came out! Will hunt down a physical version though.

Back
Top Bottom