• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Eiji Aonuma wants to dig holes (official)

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
From the GDC 2024 dev talk:

WtVthr3.jpeg

Once again, thank you to Dardan Sandiego

Mr. president, let the man dig holes.

Because today shall be... OUR... IN-DIG-PENDENCE DAY!

I feel like this is going to be a great reaction image for when Nintendo does something dumb

Aonuma: "I want to dig holes"
Development team: "go ahead daddy"
Aonuma: "oh I found a giant bottomless pit here after digging a hole deep enough!! What about we make a whole new map as big as the Hyrule above??"
Development team: "here goes the time we'd save from using the world and assets 😭"

I won't lie. I did this once on the beach and did attract the curiosity of other guys.

But well, come on. Digging is fun.
Our water table is high (I mean rainy island go figure) so my dreams of hole digging as a young lass obsessed with the sea were thwarted by discovering that there was in fact water underground, everywhere, no matter what the ground was made of.

I have never forgiven the water cycle for making an island with a water table less than three feet beneath the surface. Though finding fresh water by digging into a beach is cool in its own way.

I need to learn the full context for this quote, but I have to agree with Mr. Aonuma here. Digging holes is fun! Especially when the smell of earth fills your nostrils.

If I could ascend. I would dig holes too
There's a clever metaphor in here somewhere

okay I already posted this idea in the other thread but now that I'm at my computer I decided to make a better one:

a3nQWTA.jpeg

I’m working a job right now observing a contractor dig holes, and fill them with compacted rock to stabilize the earthwork prior to digging foundations.

Their tagline is “Your hole is our goal.“

I think they, and Aonuma should work together as it could be a beautiful friendship.

Now that I think about it, this desire to dig holes is probably why we have sections like that one tunnel under Hyrule Castle, huh? It's the closest they could get to realizing his dream...

Digging holes in Link's Awakening to find rupees was fun, I want to dig holes too, commence the digging!

2017: Link can climb everything.
2023: Link has unlimited glue
2028: Link can dig holes.

Hmmm, I bet I could come up with a great gameplay loop that primarily uses digging and tunneling for traversal and battle! It might be too much of a departure for Zelda but what if like turning into a Zora or Goron you could turn into some kind of dragon or mole creature that could treat the earth like water almost. I don't want to be those ugly mole men from Skyward Sword but more like a Drilbur, Excadrill or something serpentine.

I could imagine some some Majoras Mask, Zora swimming(N64 style dagnabbit!) but through the earth tunneling around doing all kinds of neat things.

Ether that or give me a shovel to find Conch Shells again.

I feel the next Zelda game is just going to bring in full terrain deformation and make most puzzles be about cleverly modifying existing landmasses to solve them.

It will also reuse the same map, but by the time you're done with the game it will be unrecognizable anyway.

It will also reuse the same map, but by the time you're done with the game it will be unrecognizable anyway.

If we have to go through a 4th (including Age of calamity) game set in this hyrule, I definitely don't think I'm checking in early. Exploration really should be a big part of these games, and my opinion was the best part of BOTW,

I get that they're actually in a really tough situation because the limited upgrades hardware provides graphically any more does mean it may well end up being just another map that largely has the same biomes as BOTW/TOTK , but that's a problem they're going to have to face sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom