• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews EDGE Magazine #389 review scores - Baldur's Gate 3, Blasphemous 2, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, and more

mazi

picross pundit
Reviews:
Baldur's Gate 3 - 10
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon - 7
Blasphemous 2 - 8
Fort Solis - 4
Immortals of Aveum - 4
En Garde - 7
Gord - 5
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk - 7
Goodbye Volcano High - 8
The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood - 8
Astronaut: The Best - 6

(source)

Last edited:
Nice Edge 10! An 8 for several Indies is good to see, and makes me interested in both Volcano High and Cosmic Wheel. Lol at Immortals.

Please refrain from conspiratorial posting of this nature. Critique reviews on their own individual merits rather than look for an "unnatural push" behind them. -xghost777, MondoMega, PixelKnight
Hot take: BG3 is too buggy to be getting scores like this. It's not silly little bugs either... it's bugs that hamper progression. The game is great even though I personally didn't feel like I was playing a 10 during my time with it but the bugs are not something that should be looked past... especially when we consider that this games initial media hype was largely due to its technical polish.

I sense an unnatural push for BG3 that doesn't seem to be letting up. It began with a game that was being lauded for its lack of micro-transactions, technical polish and the alleged message that it was sending to publishers to get their shit up to the same standard... when that was in fact a false narrative based solely on the initial chapter of the game... it seems most didn't play beyond this point or didn't account for it if they did. The PS5 version is a fairly big step down from the PC version as well yet the tens keep rolling in... it's interesting how some games are raked through the coals while others are not for similar short comings.

The author below outlines some of the things I also took issue with. There may be some minor spoilers:

Edit note to mods: Since launch, there was undeniably a narrative that BG3 was a new measuring stick for the state in which games should be released of and that publishers should take note. This proved to be false and many consumers who thought they were buying a consistently polished experience throughout were ultimately mislead. Regarding: Critique reviews on their own individual merits... how should these merits not be called into question when collectively such a substantial portion of said critics failed to even mention this to potential buyers when it's in their very job description to inform them about such blatant shortcomings that drag down the user experience?

Saying that I think there is an unnatural push for this game is directly a result of the aforementioned and is far too vague of a statement for you to claim I'm implying anything conspiratorial. I used such vague terminology because quite frankly I don't know what's going on... so there's not even a conspiracy being cooked up here to call out... but as it stands the aggregate is telling me this is the best game of all time and given the circumstances, this should be met with a healthy dose of both scepticism and scrutiny.

Last edited:
The reviews on Immortals of Aveum have been brutal. Didn't expect to be that bad when it was announced months ago.

Baldur's Gate 3 gets a 10? Would've scored lower if it was called Zaldur's Bait 3. Typical media bias.

Really disgusting for Edge to show their bias like this. Given Baldur's Gate 3 a 10 ... the same score as game of the year Tears of the Kingdom ... just because it's a PS5 timed exclusive? Talk about vindictive. I mean just listen to what the developers have to say. Baldur's Gate 3 = shit. Tears of the Wild = Game of the Generation. Edge has really been caught with their pants down ever since they gave Pikmin 4 a 7/10.

BG3 is not the kind of game I would ever really play but these reviews, even for PS5, are so high that I am becoming genuinely curious about giving it a shot.

For the record, here's the full list of games (26 total) that have received an Edge 10 since they started back in 1993

Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Halo: Combat Evolved
Half-Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV
LittleBigPlanet
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Rock Band 3
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto V
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Dreams
Elden Ring
Immortality
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Baldur's Gate 3

4 in the space of 18 months (Elden Ring to Baldur's Gate 3), definitely one of the most prolific periods of rewarding 10s in their history. Think it's behind only the 5 they gave in a 13 month period between Halo 3 and LittleBigPlanet

Last edited:
swen.jpg

I don't know about y'all but I do NOT trust this man and the 10/10's he's collecting, something sinister and unnatural indeed is going on here and we should be careful lest video games die forever.

For the record, here's the full list of games (26 total) that have received an Edge 10 since they started back in 1993

Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
Half-Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV
LittleBigPlanet
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Rock Band 3
The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto V
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne
Super Mario Odyssey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Dreams
Elden Ring
Immortality
Baldur's Gate 3

4 in the space of 18 months (Elden Ring to Baldur's Gate 3), definitely one of the most prolific periods of rewarding 10s in their history. Think it's behind only the 5 they gave in a 13 month period between Halo 3 and LittleBigPlanet
Itā€™s funny how much Skyward Sword always sticks out on this list.

Wow Baldur's Gate 3 a 10 even though it's a buggy mess. I guess the reviewer hasn't played it through and only gave a first impression.
Tell me this is sarcasm please. Because reviews are based on the overall experience, design, story, gameplay, UX etc etc., which might merit a 10. But you have to actually read the review for that of course, which nowadays seems to be a lot to ask for people in the age of metacritic.

Why tho? It's great.

Because it's pretty much an iterative sequel which doesn't bring much if anything new to the table in a genre greatly represented already. In fact, it gets closer to the standard Metroidvanias than the first entry, which had some clunky controls and heavy penalization ala Souls (not a fan of that myself but whatever).

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's a deja vu feeling with the first one which at least surprised because of its theme.

Because it's pretty much an iterative sequel which doesn't bring much if anything new to the table in a genre greatly represented already. In fact, it gets closer to the standard Metroidvanias than the first entry, which had some clunky controls and heavy penalization ala Souls (not a fan of that myself but whatever).

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's a deja vu feeling with the first one which at least surprised because of its theme.
When did we start demanding sequels to reinvent the wheel each time? Especially for very small indie devs. I think that score represents it well.

When did we start demanding sequels to reinvent the wheel each time? Especially for very small indie devs. I think that score represents it well.

I didn't demand anything, just saying what the tendency of Edge is with scoring sequels.

I disagree with the Bomb Rush Cyberfunk score (at least should be an 8) but otherwise sure.

Immortals of Aveum is pretty average but it definitely shouldn't be that score either. They shat on it big time damn.

Hot take: BG3 is too buggy to be getting scores like this. It's not silly little bugs either... I don't know what's going on... so there's not even a conspiracy being cooked up here to call out... but as it stands the aggregate is telling me this is the best game of all time and given the circumstances, this should be met with a healthy dose of both scepticism and scrutiny.

Baldur's Gate 2 also got universally very strong reviews and ended up a lot of "best of" lists. It was a strong effort of a game but not what I would consider the most fun or anything. So the series does have that history of landing very well with critics.

I think many reviewers try to be kind of lenient about bugs, knowing that many studios actively continue to work on patches as the game rolls out (like Larian is currently doing.) The big hook for this game seems to be its tremendous player choice and intricate systems. I haven't read the review yet to know what specific points they're making yet. Have you read it?

Baldur's Gate 2 also got universally very strong reviews and ended up a lot of "best of" lists. It was a strong effort of a game but not what I would consider the most fun or anything. So the series does have that history of landing very well with critics.

I think many reviewers try to be kind of lenient about bugs, knowing that many studios actively continue to work on patches as the game rolls out (like Larian is currently doing.) The big hook for this game seems to be its tremendous player choice and intricate systems. I haven't read the review yet to know what specific points they're making yet. Have you read it?
Only the snippet from the Era thread:
Upon finishing a game such as this, there can be a feeling of listlessness, of not knowing what to do with yourself. That's not the case here. As the credits roll, you'll think less about the experience you had, and more about the one you didn't. How would the adventure go if you made this decision, or played as that class? What would happen if you tried this, or did that? Baldur's Gate 3 leaves you with as many ideas as it does memories. That, surely, is the soul of roleplaying.
Basically, it seems like they are impressed by the ambition of the systems and storytelling.

Are these magazines worth paying for the digital edition? Low-key interested in The Plucky Squire feature but while print would be cooler it would take a while to arrive and be more expensive

Are these magazines worth paying for the digital edition? Low-key interested in The Plucky Squire feature but while print would be cooler it would take a while to arrive and be more expensive
I think Edge is always worth it considering the quality of the written content, but if you can, pick up a physical issue :)

I am strongly against bg3 winning goty because it's dungeons and dragons and my system of morals cannot condone dungeons and dragons šŸ˜¤

Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
Half-Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Super Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV
LittleBigPlanet
Bayonetta
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Rock Band 3
The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto V
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne
Super Mario Odyssey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Dreams
Elden Ring
Immortality
Baldur's Gate 3

They also went back in 2013 and rescored 7 games into 10s.

Goldeneye 007
Advance Wars
Resident Evil 4
Drop7
Red Dead Redemption
Super Street Fighter IV
Dark Souls

Itā€™s funny how much Skyward Sword always sticks out on this list.
It's in good company with GTA4 and LBP.

Itā€™s not particularly well written, but I fail to see the problem with someone sharing their experience.
There are a lot of things you can choose to write about... but this is not in any way relevant as the games are in no way comparable and the point of comparison in itself is clearly done to rile people up and generate metrics.

There are a lot of things you can choose to write about... but this is not in any way relevant as the games are in no way comparable and the point of comparison in itself is clearly done to rile people up and generate metrics.
Mate, you recently posted a thread praising RDR (which there's nothing wrong with, to be clear), but going into how you initially didn't think you'd enjoy it much, because TotK is just so much better. 2010 game versus 2023 game, and the only thing they really have in common is an open world setting. I'm glad you're capable of enjoying both, but if you can draw comparisons between superficially similar games released over a decade apart, why can't this individual compare two RPGs released a month apart? Is it just because they write for a website? Why can't the article simply consist of sincere expression on the author's part?

The games are quite comparable, as they are both massive AAA western RPGs that have come out within the last month, even if they have differences of course. And especially if you're looking at the RPG elements (focusing specifically on role playing and player choice) then I have heard this exact sentiment from multiple people recently in the games industry - discussing how much more choice, path-splitting, interesting decisions to be made, and such is in BG3 versus Starfield, and how BG3 coming out so soon beforehand really made that part of Starfield seem lackluster. It's not just this guy saying this kind of thing, even if that article is definitely a bit hyperbolic.

Mate, you recently posted a thread praising RDR (which there's nothing wrong with, to be clear), but going into how you initially didn't think you'd enjoy it much, because TotK is just so much better. 2010 game versus 2023 game, and the only thing they really have in common is an open world setting. I'm glad you're capable of enjoying both, but if you can draw comparisons between superficially similar games released over a decade apart, why can't this individual compare two RPGs released a month apart? Is it just because they write for a website? Why can't the article simply consist of sincere expression on the author's part?
Ultimately, while Red Dead is dated in some aspects, I realized while playing it numerous years later that it still held up regardless of my preconceived notions. The thread I started praising the game was me admitting I misjudged the games value in 2023... I mean I always thought it was fantastic at the time of release, but as with many open worlds, I go back to them and many feel very lifeless and sterile all these year later. Mechanically speaking, TOTK is so brilliant and ahead of the curve (imo of course), I thought it would make RDR too jarring to go back to... but in doing so I realized the value of what the game did bring to the table, why I loved it back in 2010 and why I still do.

Regarding your other point, TOTK and RDR are a lot more comparable as games than Starfield and BG3. As former gaming media, I would have no problem writing an opinion piece comparing two open world titles that released around the same time, but BG3 is a command-based strategy game and there is very little grounds for comparison. I think that the author knew exactly what he was doing when he was writing this piece. It's obvious that Starfield has become ground-zero for console wars and console wars sell. From my time working in the gaming media, I don't they believe they deserve to be held to some standard where they cannot be questioned as a collective, and believe me I have very sound reasoning to feel this way. I'm only bringing this up again after the warning because you questioned me directly so I felt this response would help clarify my position.

The games are quite comparable, as they are both massive AAA western RPGs that have come out within the last month, even if they have differences of course. And especially if you're looking at the RPG elements (focusing specifically on role playing and player choice) then I have heard this exact sentiment from multiple people recently in the games industry - discussing how much more choice, path-splitting, interesting decisions to be made, and such is in BG3 versus Starfield, and how BG3 coming out so soon beforehand really made that part of Starfield seem lackluster. It's not just this guy saying this kind of thing, even if that article is definitely a bit hyperbolic.
One is an open world action game with rpg elements and the other is a DnD-inspired command based strategy game. We are at a stage in gaming where games have so many elements of different genres and sub-genres within them that you can make an argument that nearly any two games can be compared, but for me the two games play nothing alike and there is no grounds for comparison other than the timing of their release.

Last edited:
You jest, but people on here have been absolutely awful to me for not liking it as much as they did. As if that alone isn't enough of a bummer!
Sorry to hear that.
I know what it's like to be disappointed in something you were looking forward to only to be shat on for expressing your opinion. It's super shitty. Just keep expressing yourself how you want, and if other people are being shitty, ignore and report. I'll always call it out whenever I see it.

I've reported every single post of @Yamanoi and @AngryAlchemist for their crimes against Nintendo fans. Ever wonder why some people don't post as much once they become mods? They're still working on reports from March.
Officer @Aurc dragging me into Sonyland

"For your crimes of loving Sunshine and criticizing Pikmid 4, you will be punished"

"Officer, NO! I DON'T WANT TO PLAY MOVIE GAMES!"

"Then you'll have to pay the fine..."

"Please sir, I'LL DO ANYTHING"

"$70"

Back
Top Bottom