• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews EDGE Magazine #388 review scores - Pikmin 4, Exoprimal, Remnant II, and more

mazi

picross pundit
f3j12fowiaaxl4tbbdmy.jpeg

Reviews:
Exoprimal - 7
Pikmin 4 - 7
Shadow Gambit - 8
Atlas Fallen - 6
The Banished Vault - 5
Jagged Alliance 3 - 7
Remnant II - 6
Videoverse - 8
Viewfinder - 8
Stray Gods: The Roleplaying Musical - 6
Sludge Life 2 - 7

Cover - Alan Wake II
Hype - Lords of the Fallen, Forever Skies, Bounty Star, Laika: Aged Through Blood, Despelote, Lorelei and the Laser Eyes
Studio Profile - Dambuster Studios
The Making of - Hardspace: Shipbreaker
Time Extend - Dragon’s Lair
The Long Game - High-Fi Rush

Last edited:
Pretty good scores all around. And damn, that cover is beautiful!

Edge tends to be more harsh on things so a 7 doesn't really surprise me. Among more hardcore Pikmin fans I definitely do see some who are less than enthused by the inclusion of stuff like RPG elements, the mostly easier difficulty until post game, etc. (though I'd personally rank the series 3>4>1>2 with 3 4 and 1 all being pretty great)

That's a fantastic cover. Kinda low score for Pikmin 4 tbh.

I'm surprised Exoprimal is that high of a score.
Apparently Exoprimal is actually a decent game, it just suffered from the marketing being laser focused on the GAAS bullshit that isn't even that bullshit-y.

That is the slickest game magazine cover I have ever seen! Stunning. Excited for Alan Wake as well, might need to pick this one up

I didn't realize there was a Sludge Life 2, I'll have to look into that. Also, Alan Wake II is looking great. It's coming out at a busy time, but I hope it succeeds as counter programming.

I didn't expect a 7, I'j like to see their reasoning, I can assume it's the lack of challenge.

Yeah, even as a big fan of the series and the game itself I understand the 7 - would love to see the text though

7 would be fine if the others weren't 8. Pikmin 3 is so much worse than 4 it's insane. Just played 3 and 4 destroys it.
Opinions and all that but can't agree there - different reviewers and different gaming landscapes at the time of review (10 years ago) means scores are a bit meaningless to compare.

I prefer 4 to base 3, but 3 Deluxe with all the DLC was a much better experience overall for me - the main campaign is much more replayable and Mission Mode is a slight step above what's on offer from Dandori Challenges

They would give Exoprimal a 7 lol, the early parts do reflect that.

Perhaps the reviewer just doesn't resonate with Pikmin series as much as others, but just enough to play each entry.

Can't believe I forgot about Viewfinder. Still gotta get that and knock it out.

Pikmin 4 is very much a 7/10 game. Don't know why it's surprising. Even daddy Nintendo can make something thats just merely really good sometimes.

My copy arrived today

Cover does indeed look as good in print as it does in pictures

Some snippets from the concluding paragraph on Pikmin 4, which are very positive:
'a largely tranquil collectathon', 'some of the most creatively conceived enemies and beautifully realised enivronments you'll see in any videogame this year'; 'considerable charm';

That said, the writer also feels it does :'coast on its strengths' and 'could have used more dandori'

I'm guessing it's Chris Schilling who reviewed it, he posted on twitter saying he felt the game was too easy until the postgame. From the review: 'there's no time limit, and gone with it are the pangs of guilt when you get through a day having made little progress'

It's a good review (EDGE reviews are great regardless of whether you agree with their thoughts). Would recommend checking the magazine out

Pikmin 4 is very much a 7/10 game. Don't know why it's surprising. Even daddy Nintendo can make something thats just merely really good sometimes.
That score is 1.8 points lower than the average score for Pikmin 4, so I can see why people are surprised. I'm playing the game right now and loving it, whereas I felt Pikmin 3 was fine.

Back
Top Bottom