• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews EDGE Magazine #370 review scores - Elden Ring, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Triangle Strategy, and more

mazi

picross pundit
fonuuu6wyailx0arjj3x.jpeg

Reviews:
Elden Ring - 10
Gran Turismo 7 - 9
Tunic - 8
Triangle Strategy - 8
Destiny 2: The Witch Queen - 7
Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 8
Martha Is Dead - 4
Total War: Warhammer 3 - 8
Norco - 7
Lost Ark - 7
CrossfireX - 3
Far: Changing Tides - 7
A Musical Story - 6

Cover - Flintlock
Hype - The Wolf Among Us 2, A Highland Song, Neon White, The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story, Nintendo Switch Sports, Animal Well
Hype Roundup - Card Shark, Lil Gator Game, The Wreck, A Little to the Left, How to Say Goodbye
Studio Profile - Uppercut Games
The Making of - Tales of Arise
Time Extend - De Blob
The Long Game - Hunt: Showdown

Last edited:
Man I just don't get the Elden Ring 10s. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. And in many ways a big step back for From Software (combat being outdated and much worse than Bloodborne and Sekiro, and the bosses being really repetitive and mostly bad). It feels like all the reviews are just reviewing the first half and not the second half of the game which is one of the biggest slogs ever

Man I just don't get the Elden Ring 10s. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. And in many ways a big step back for From Software (combat being outdated and much worse than Bloodborne and Sekiro, and the bosses being really repetitive and mostly bad). It feels like all the reviews are just reviewing the first half and not the second half of the game which is one of the biggest slogs ever

Well, this is all very subjective.
I love the combat, it's an evolution of the one in Dark Souls 3, which I vastly prefer over the combat in Sekiro or Bloodborne.

Triangle Strategy is one of the best in its genre. I don't get why so many outlets give it an 8. Must be because of the lower budget or something.

Tbh, i bought it despite not liking dark souls because it was a 10 game.
But I would put it at 8, already better than my past experiences thanks to the liberty to tackle things.

I completely disagree tbh. I think it's a step up at virtually everything.

But the second half has all the good bosses.

Honestly think Triangle Strategy deserved higher, not that an 8 is bad. It's just REALLY good.

Good score for Kirby. Glad they didn't go "meh, too easy. 6/10"

Its on basically everything but the switch though lol
Well my good laptop died a few months ago and I don't own any other console and don't really ever plan to buy one. The only thing I'm considering is a steam deck but it'll be impossible to even get one if I decide I want one.

Honestly think Triangle Strategy deserved higher, not that an 8 is bad. It's just REALLY good.

Good score for Kirby. Glad they didn't go "meh, too easy. 6/10"
TriStrat definitely deserved to be a high 80s-low 90s title. It's utterly fantastic so far

Elden Ring is one of two, maybe three times I think a game has legitimately earned a perfect score. I didn’t really enjoy my prior Soulsborne experiences, but I just can’t stop thinking about this game.

…too bad I am barely able to play it right now because of my newborn + the inability to pause…

Well, this is all very subjective.
I love the combat, it's an evolution of the one in Dark Souls 3, which I vastly prefer over the combat in Sekiro or Bloodborne.
Was the look-on this finicky in other From titles too? I have read that the range is magnitudes larger than in other Souls games, but it is so easy to lose track of enemies in Elden Ring, because the look-on in many cases just stops after they set one foot behind a pillar or other obstacle. Or I had to activate it multiple times manually before the system finally worked, even with some big guys right in front of me. Combat is the bread and butter of Elden Ring, so it is kind of perplexing to see just how wonky it is in some parts. And for a game that loves to mete out punishment for every tiny mistake... I don't know.

Was the look-on this finicky in other From titles too? I have read that the range is magnitudes larger than in other Souls games, but it is so easy to lose track of enemies in Elden Ring, because the look-on in many cases just stops after they set one foot behind a pillar or other obstacle. Or I had to activate it multiple times manually before the system finally worked, even with some big guys right in front of me. Combat is the bread and butter of Elden Ring, so it is kind of perplexing to see just how wonky it is in some parts. And for a game that loves to mete out punishment for every tiny mistake... I don't know.

I heard this complain a lot, so I think it's true. I personally don't really have problems with it, but yeah ... it seems like that could need some adjustments.

It's weird to say this about a group of reviewers I don't know personally, but im genuinely glad Edge enjoyed a lot of games this month. Lol! (No sarcasm intended). Says a lot when they score so many games so highly.

It's weird to say this about a group of reviewers I don't know personally, but im genuinely glad Edge enjoyed a lot of games this month. Lol! (No sarcasm intended). Says a lot when they score so many games so highly.
it's a great moment for the industry, indeed. and the year is still young if you think about it, lot of great games will be out soon (and sadly I'll still be locked on Elden ring lol)

Yes, that's what most of them did. It was mentioned at the other place by someone who works at a gaming publication.

The 10/10 experience ends not too long after the halfway point of the game. After that, it all depends on whether the early areas made enough of a positive impression on you to make up for the weak late game.

Last edited:
TriStrat definitely deserved to be a high 80s-low 90s title. It's utterly fantastic so far
People mention FFT for obvious reasons, but the series it’s really reminding me of as far as the gameplay loop is Shining Force. And that’s just fine with me.

I’m also surprisingly into unusual the story/battle ratio. It really builds the stakes.

Damn, Edge is getting a little soft here. Some pretty high scores. Nothing that'll cause any controversy, unfortunately 😔

For real though, this year has been off to a good start

Tbh, i bought it despite not liking dark souls because it was a 10 game.
But I would put it at 8, already better than my past experiences thanks to the liberty to tackle things.
Yeah, it's easily the best Souls game I've played simply because of that as well as the concessions made to make the game easier to go through, like having your healing items refill after taking out a mob of enemies or more frequent check points and fast travel from almost anywhere. I wouldn't personally put it at a 10 either, almost no game hits that for me, but it's a good low 8 for me so far. It just still needs some QoL improvements. As a man who hates Miyazaki's artistic dreams and aspirations, that's about as high of a praise as you'll get

Nintendo should try to get elden ring on the switch pro. Hire Virtuoso or panic button to do the port. Just don't repeat the lame sound compression like in dark souls.

Nintendo should try to get elden ring on the switch pro. Hire Virtuoso or panic button to do the port. Just don't repeat the lame sound compression like in dark souls.
If they made an effort for TW3 and Skyrim, I can see them doing the same thing here

Already pre-ordered Kirby but surprised at that 8! I expected a 6 or 7 going by the demo, a fun platformer but not top of its class. Even more excited to play further on Friday now

Surprising number of high scores from EDGE this month. Definitely a good start for Kirby.

Having not played any of the others yet, Triangle Strategy’s high score is well deserved, really enjoying my time with it.

I agree with this…to a degree.

Elden Ring is at its best and most intoxicating from Limgrave probably to Lyndell, but maybe not even that far. It doesn’t take long even in that journey to see how rote and templated the gameplay actually is - follow the roads, ruins/fort here, crypt there, cave here, minor erdtree there, and through it all your combat doesn’t fundamentally change (unless you respec and level new gear which isn’t really readily available until quite late). The novelty of navigating opaque quest lines starts to wane, and googling where to go next becomes all too frequent. Legacy dungeons are roughly all the same in how they navigate - the boss encounters remaining the highlight.

But at the same time this is the only From game which I’ve managed to play to (almost) completion since Demons Souls on PS3. If this comes at the expense of being bloated I’ll always take the beans. I cannot ignore how the game gave me at least 40-50 hours of outstanding experiences, or the fact that it’s the only From game I can personally recommend to others.

By my own standards it went from a 10/10 to a 9/10, but it’s totally understandable that it would get so many 10s.

The 10 from Elden Ring is expected, and it's personally my favourite video game ever. I've seen some complain that its too templated and suffers in the second half, but I just don't see it. If anything, the game most closely resembles its predecessors in the final areas - linear, tough, and unforgiving (especially when people flat out refuse to use the tools the game gives you like spirit ashes).

An 8 for Kirby is a welcome surprise. I didn't find much to like about Star Allies (the 30fps and movement flow killed it), but this one is sounding like the real deal!

Also keen to give Triangle Strategy a go after so much positive feedback, but mostly play games after work so not sure if all the story sequences will put me to sleep.

I think you're just in the minority when you say those things. You're speaking as if they're fact (combat is worse than.... boses are bad... etc). As someone with over a thousand hours across FromSoft titles I just disagree.

Regardless, maybe those things aren't what those scores are scoring for. Accessibility, ease of entry, high skill ceiling, open world, amount of content... all amazing and worth the high scores

I think you're just in the minority when you say those things. You're speaking as if they're fact (combat is worse than.... boses are bad... etc). As someone with over a thousand hours across FromSoft titles I just disagree.

Regardless, maybe those things aren't what those scores are scoring for. Accessibility, ease of entry, high skill ceiling, open world, amount of content... all amazing and worth the high scores

Please use "approachability" instead of accessibility because in terms of actual accessibility Elden Ring has literally nothing. They have combat options and ideas that make situations more easily approachable by the player and that's what people mean to say.

There's too much saltiness re: Elden Ring on this forum. Kind of embarrassing. Posts which give nothing but praise get no likes but those that criticize it get likes.
negativity thrives when something good comes around. It happens all of the time I think with great games. People see the high scores and the well reception and want to be negative. They're more inclined to support the negativity too than those who like the game and agree with those who like it. The latter isn't as pressed as the former.

There's too much saltiness re: Elden Ring on this forum. Kind of embarrassing. Posts which give nothing but praise get no likes but those that criticize it get likes.
I'm pretty sure I'll love it but since I haven't played it yet I usually tend to refrain from participating in Elden Ring discussions. But it's common enough when games are popular, especially to the extent of Elden Ring, that people are very vocal about the fact that they don't like it. Happened with BoTW as well.

I'm pretty sure I'll love it but since I haven't played it yet I usually tend to refrain from participating in Elden Ring discussions. But it's common enough when games are popular, especially to the extent of Elden Ring, that people are very vocal about the fact that they don't like it. Happened with BoTW as well.
Some of the Elden Ring discourse online is uncannily similar to what happened with BotW to me lol. I guess a game hitting it off with a larger audience + doing very well critically just causes that happen.

Back
Top Bottom