• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews EDGE Magazine #364 review scores - WarioWare: Get It Together!, Eastward, Lost in Random, and more

mazi

picross pundit
page_16zkc2.jpeg

Reviews:
Deathloop - 9
Jett: The Far Shore - 8
Sable - 7
Kena: Bridge of Spirits - 6
Life is Strange: True Colors - 7
Tales of Arise - 8
The Artful Escape - 7
Eastward - 7
Bonfire Peaks - 9
Lake - 6
WarioWare: Get It Together! - 8
Lost in Random - 6

Cover - Dying Light 2
Hype - DokeV, Tchia, Cantata, The Wandering Village, Storyteller, Cursed to Golf
Hype Roundup - Marvel's Wolverine, Forspoken, God of War: Ragnarok, Marvel's Spider-Man 2, Project Eve
Studio Profile - Kitfox Games
The Making of - Chicory: A Colorful Tale
Time Extend - Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies
The Long Game - Ghost of Tsushima

Last edited:
Kena: Bridge of Spirits - 6
After having read other reviews, I expected Edge to fall into the 5-7 range for this one. Actually thought they'd rate it even worse, as in giving it a 5, but yeah, not too surprised by this one.

I absolutely adored Eastward and it's probably a personal 9 lol but I completely see where someone could get a 7 out of it. The pacing is just not going to be for everyone. Nice to see Deathloop recognised so highly and that's a solid score for Warioware!

Edge goes for the full range with their scores, so a 7 is good.
I hoped Lost in Random to get there, because it's an incredibly charming little game.

I'm happy for Arkane though with that 9!

6 and 7 respectively is what I would grade Kena and LiS as well.

Playing Kena right now and I can see that score. Main points as gameplay, combat and bosses are improvable.

Bonfire Peaks - 9
As someone who is playing this game right now, this is well deserved. It's a very pure puzzle game and I can understand that's not for everybody, but it is a very good puzzle game.

Looking forward to reading the issue, the last one didn't have that many reviews that would have been exciting to me. Articles were fine as always.

I'm not surprised about Eastward. I've been mostly enjoying the slow pace and slice of life aspect (though New Dam City did drag on a bit), but I can fully see how this could be a bother for most.

Surprised Takes of Arise got better than Eastward though, although I've also been enjoying it, just less so

I just finished Kena today and I agree with that score. It’s a good game but being the studios debut title it definitely shows they have some room for improvement.

Main issue for me is that the combat just isn’t “tight” enough, and they’ve tried to do Dark Souls style boss fights but without Dark Souls’ perfectly tight movement and controls.
They should have kept the combat encounters simple and put more of a focus on the platforming than the action.

blurbs
blurbs from metacritic

Deathloop (9/10):
At the beginning of the game, and every morning since, Colt wakes up with a single objective: break the loop. But we're increasingly starting to sympathize with Juliana. Why would you want to do that, when there's still so much to play around with?

JETT: The Far Shore (8/10):
All that may dent its mass-market appeal, but for open-minded players The Far Shore could well be 2021's most captivating videogame destination.

Sable (7/10):
If at times Sable has a certain adolescent clumsiness about it, elsewhere it feels mature beyond its years.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits (6/10):
It is pleasantly diverting, the kind of game it's easy to gobble up in a couple of long sittings - but equally there's little to really stir the blood. It may have gorgeous particle effects in abundance, but what it's really missing is a spark.

Life is Strange: True Colors (8/10):
In its best moments (of which there are plenty), this is about as good as Life is Strange has ever been.

Tales of Arise (8/10):
One of the most memorable JRPGs in recent years.

The Artful Escape (7/10):
For players who find themselves similarly unsure of their own identities, it could well resonate long after the amps and stage lights have been switched off.

Eastward (7/10):
Even for those players who are too young to perceive the winds of nostalgia blowing through Eastward, this is a game that shows the endurance of the Super Nintendo-era RPG template as a vessel for storytelling across decades - and that is a magic of its own, too.

Bonfire Peaks (9/10):
The feeling of achievement and closure as the credits roll on this wonderful, soulful game is every bit as keen as the time we looked out from the summit of Celeste Mountain.

Lake (6/10):
We're very happy with the ending we land on, but it's hard to imagine anyone choosing to stick around.

WarioWare: Get It Together! (8/10):
A squad-based WarioWare? It's better than we could have anticipated.

Lost in Random (6/10):
It's worth rolling on to the end, but you might find yourself wishing it had more of the concision of its cinematic inspirations, rather than the drag of a family game of monopoly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom