• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Dying Light on Switch is Banned in EU/AUS/NZ on the eShop

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight
If you're talking about the digital version, then due to nature of content the digital version of the game is currently banned in Germany where European e-Shop is officially registered. This is making it impossible to officially distribute the game in European countries and also in Australia and New Zealand. We are currently working with our partner and local authorities to remove the ban as soon as we can.

The game is available digitally in the US and Asia, and the retail version is available worldwide (except Germany)

from a Techland rep on reddit

Wait, isn't this already avaliable in PS4? What's the difference??

It's banned in Germany and since the European eShop is just one eShop for all countries they can't sell it on there without it being available in Germany.

What about the UK? I'm guessing not if Aus and Nz are caught up in it.
UK may be out of the EU, but it's still Europe.

And this is kinda confusing... IIRC eShop can implement USK ratings, so banned/indexed games should be able to be made available on it outside of Germany as well.

Annoying and inconvenient, but pretty inconsequential with how easy it is to just change your region.

Nice that they are looking into solving the problem. If they fail, we can still buy the game on the US eShop.

I bought South Park: Stick of Truth on the US eShop, because the german/eu censorship is really bad. I get it that Trey and Matt tried to make the censoring as ridiculous as possible, but this time they over did it. Giant black bars over the whole characters made the game unplayable for me. I don't care if a game get's changed for germany, if the changes are well made. But a lot has changed over the last years. More and more games get released uncut.

I skimmed the reddit thread but what content exactly is the German market censoring?

There are zombies, and they must be exploded, I think every market understands that. So its gotta be something else šŸ¤”

I skimmed the reddit thread but what content exactly is the German market censoring?

There are zombies, and they must be exploded, I think every market understands that. So its gotta be something else šŸ¤”
Dying Light has a small number of child zombies and you do kill them (though not in a particularly gruesome manner). I wonder if thatā€™s the issue.

But Wolfenstein II The New Colossus was available uncensored in non German speaking European e-shop stores.
Sounds strange that there is no way around it.

I guess it makes a certain amount of sense that if they're trading from Germany they have to follow the local laws (as harsh as those may be). Still sucks though, I wonder how they get round it?

"In fact, the game was put on the index on the grounds that a brutal effect on children and adolescents could not be ruled out." Depictions of violence are the most common reason for indexing.

The game has always been "on the index" in Germany. You can't buy it on the German Steam storefront, for example. Games do get reappraised, but usually only after quite some time has passed. I do wonder if the publisher will be successful in getting it reappraised specifically for Switch if no changes were made to the content.

Yeah , i already wrote that in the dying light thread. Our germany is very backwards in a lot of things. In digitalization for example, we are on the last position of all EU Countrys. We dont have any major videogame- developer either.

We are ruled by old people for over a decade. It sadly shows on such things and much more.

Back
Top Bottom