• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Dungeon Warfare (Switch, Steam, Mobile) - Shockingly Competent Tower Defense

(Late to the party)

Toma

Rattata
Good day everyone,

recent news had me registering an account here, so I have my precious user name :p Some of you might have seen me around for Indie game topics on other forums for the last 10 years and while enjoying Nintendo games and owning all Nintendo consoles since the OG gameboy, I rarely took part in the more Nintendo focussed discussions as they already seemed to get a ton of attention and focussed more on topics that I wanted to bring attention to. I'll use this thread as a careful foray to see if this type of content, or platform unspecific Indies in general is desired by this new community. :)

Over vacation I needed to desperately take my mind off one of some, though, so I looked for some games and genres that keep my brain soaked with pleasure and excitement, so I looked for a nice tower defense game to keep me addicted and not thinking as I havent played one in a while.

I stumbled over the recommendation of Dungeon Warfare on Switch, which I apparently already bought before, haha, and finally decided to give it a whirl:

Dungeon Warfare (7,99€ on Steam/Switch, 2,99€ on Mobile)
ss_5da5ee18d986ed8f759e3377e5345996c9073019.1920x1080.jpg

Okay, so I am just going to steal a Steam user impression I found for this: "Shockingly competent", which describes my overall feeling for Dungeon Warfare. It contains all the addictive genre basics: Upgradable towers, higher difficulty settings and a progression/campaign system.

Like if you wanted a classic Tower Defense game, this game hits all the right notes. The game does poorly on screenshots, but its immensely satisfying to observe during the gameplay. What put this game above the mid tier Tower Defense games in my opinion were a few smart design choices and focus points:

1. Map Design is simple, but rather fantastic for its purpose
I honestly forgot how important map design can be in these games, as most TD games just use the increasing amount of enemies/enemy abilities as their main focus point. Dungeon Warfare has some really cool ideas for its level design, which makes it more of a puzzle to figure out how to properly create a decent maze with the base setup or how to include level elements to their fullest potential. Its subtle, but that really made me excited to check out every new level.

2. An Adjustable difficulty setting that works
I am usually not a big fan of level modifiers as I never have much incentive to use them. You can add modifiers for increased enemy speed, health etc., which in turn raises a multiplier for the experience points you gain after finishing the level. Those levels directly affect the stats/upgrades you can put back into you towers, making it a very rewarding gameplay loop to find just the right difficulty level for your preferred playstyle and challenge. Other tower defense games do something similar, but what got me here was that using 4 multipliers on a level, unlocks the harder endless mode for each level, giving me a lot of incentive to play around with the most fitting multiplier setups and higher difficulties. Again, subtle but super neat approach.

3. The levelling system
I am not sure how much of it is just a neat illusion as I dont know if all people end up doing the same anyway, but you constantly get the ability to increase tower stats and upgrade levels, which was highly satisfying as I was able to decide on which towers to focus on for my preferred playstyle. Every upgrade felt like an impactful decision/development of my own capabilities.

4. Final Tower Upgrades with new abilities
I really like when tower upgrades dont just add numbers, but also offer choices for different gameplay styles/level approaches. Often I end up using the same tower upgrade for all purposes in other games, but once you unlock the final upgrade stage, all options are actually very handy for different map setups/gameplay styles. You could have a spike trap deal double damage for example at the end of a level as last resort, or have it spread some poison gas if you need it to the beginning of a stage and need to slowly whittle down enemies before the final kill setup. For every tower, you can only have one final upgrade on the map, but as these are so powerful, it makes it feel highly rewarding to plan your strategy around their capabilities.

Soooo tldr;
The game was surprisingly fun and I really enjoyed it even if it cant live up to the big series like Gemcraft. The game doesnt have any outstanding features/mechanisms and is rather low key with its looks, feature set and somewhat simple setup, but every system is finely tuned to give just the right sense of subtle enjoyment and satisfaction that it comes together as something much more enjoyable than the sum of its parts.

There are still many areas that it can expand on, so its a bit of a shame, the game never got a sequel to live up to its true potential... or did it now? INDIE GAME IMPRESSIONS TURNAROUND. Why yes, yes it did get a rather fantastic sequel. I might post them here as well if people are interested, as it unfortunately is unlikely to get to Switch and is stuck on mobile :(

On a somewhat unrelated note, I'd also love to see if any people here can recommend more Tower Defense Games, especially on switch, I get the impression there might be a few more small gems hiding there.

Also who thought square only profile pictures are a good idea? :D

Defence Grid 2 isn't much of a hidden gem (it's one of the more popular series) but it is a great tower defence game that is also available on Switch!

I haven't tried Dungeon Warfare but I will definitely give it a shot!

I was gonna ask about the sequel until I read the last sentence. Any specific reason why it won't show up on other platforms?

I've been mainly exposed to the genre through mobile and PC, some of which have made it over to the Switch. I think the most notable ones are Defense Grid 2 and the Kingdom Rush games, all of which are pretty good. I always wanted the Anomaly games on Switch but none of them were ported. Or the original PvZ.

I was gonna ask about the sequel until I read the last sentence. Any specific reason why it won't show up on other platforms?

I've been mainly exposed to the genre through mobile and PC, some of which have made it over to the Switch. I think the most notable ones are Defense Grid 2 and the Kingdom Rush games, all of which are pretty good. I always wanted the Anomaly games on Switch but none of them were ported. Or the original PvZ.
I was researching a bit around and its hard to find concrete input other than the dev stating that they want to do some bug fixes first before doing the port, but thats been 2 years already and apparently their development slowed down heavily that people loving the games dont expect much more development for the series after seeing how development and communication slowed down a lot.

DG2 and KR are good. If you enjoyed those you might get a kick out of this one too, as it feels a bit more distilled to the fun core of the genre. Really enjoyed it.

Defence Grid 2 isn't much of a hidden gem (it's one of the more popular series) but it is a great tower defence game that is also available on Switch!

I haven't tried Dungeon Warfare but I will definitely give it a shot!

I enjoyed the systems of DG2, but never could get into its art style, which was a bit of a bummer. I played a good bit of TD games, but I dont think I enjoyed most of the 3d ones as much as the 2d ones, which is a bit weird now that I think about it. Something about the 3d layer might make the genre a bit less easy to navigate/enjoy for me.

Back
Top Bottom