• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Dragon Quest |ST|

This HD-2D remake is so boring to me. I don't love the look and the games are already available everywhere. Should've been 4 onwards. But we all know they just want to milk III's Japanese success
But those versions look like shit. And this will probably get a physical release too

This HD-2D remake is so boring to me. I don't love the look and the games are already available everywhere. Should've been 4 onwards. But we all know they just want to milk III's Japanese success
I think it’s more likely that 4/5/6 already had decent DS remakes, and while III is available as a remaster, when choosing to remake one they settled on one that hadn’t already been remade.

Personally I love HD2D and haven’t played this one, while I have played the DS games, so am looking forward to the remake.

I'd love there to be a way to play... any of the entries on modern consoles, outside of the recent spin-offs. Switch can play, what, I-III and XI currently? Other consoles and PC only have XI. I guess X is on Switch if you live in one of the regions that got it... IV-IX are just not an option anywhere outside of mobile ports. Which is weird because that isn't the case for something like Final Fantasy. I can boot up like... any of those on Steam or my Switch right now.

It'd be nice if III HD2D was a sign of more to come, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

DQ3HD2D coming this fall along with Metaphor and Ys X would be a nice JRPG-heavy end of the year (for an already JRPG-heavy year, lol)

I still need to get back to 11S and continue past where I left off from the original PS4 version. I also have 7 and 8 on my 3DS which I bought before the eShop closed. I'll get to those...one day.

I think it’s more likely that 4/5/6 already had decent DS remakes, and while III is available as a remaster, when choosing to remake one they settled on one that hadn’t already been remade.
Well, it has been, actually. The SNES remake that the dodgy remaster is based on is still one of the best-looking games in the series. Every Dragon Quest game before VIII has been remade at least once.

1.jpg

If I had to say which entry was most in need of a remake, it would probably be VI or IX. VI's remake being an upgrade is pretty debatable from what I've heard. And IX is the only game to never have any sort of port and is still stuck on the original DS, and is really showing its age. I think every other entry is available in some form via at least mobile or PC except for this one.

Still, as much as there is no love lost between me and HD2D, I'm not too bothered by DQ doing it because they've been blending sprites and 3D models like that since the PS1. This has a shot at being the definitive version. I just hope they go easy on the effects, Dragon Quest has plenty of vignetting already.

I knew Dragon Warrior II had a huge difficulty spike at the end but good grief. Playing on GBC which I thought was made easier.

I was 26 when I made it out of the Cave to Rhone and it was not bad. But I am getting my ass kicked and using a ton of resources. I know they did not play test this but still getting wiped because enemies choose to use Firebane or Explodet multiple times in a row (or multiple times in one turn with Firebane) and I just get wrecked. I'm level 30 now and feel like I have quite a ways to go. Still really fun but I hope they rebalance the game a bit if they are remaking it with DQ3. Still enjoyable and I hope to have the game finished by the time the Nintendo Direct comes this month!

Feel like we should revive this thread. Here’s the recently released trailer for Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake, releasing November 14th, 2024:

Here’s the boxart for the Switch version:

Dragon Quest I&II were also confirmed to be getting HD-2D Remakes in 2025 in the latest Nintendo Direct.

Early impressions of the game from people who played it at SGF are out (can’t find all of them, sorry)

So how we feeling?

Feel like we should revive this thread. Here’s the recently released trailer for Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake, releasing November 14th, 2024:

Here’s the boxart for the Switch version:

Dragon Quest I&II were also confirmed to be getting HD-2D Remakes in 2025 in the latest Nintendo Direct.

Early impressions of the game from people who played it at SGF are out (can’t find all of them, sorry)

So how we feeling?

Really looking forward to this. Along with Zelda and Metroid Prime, this was a major highlight for me from the Direct. I'm also excited to see how I & II turn out using this graphical style.

I apologize for not updating the thread, I haven't been at my desk and don't want to do it on my phone.

Goes without saying I'm very excited for this and the trailer makes me emotional every time I watch it. It is utter excitement mixed with somber melancholy as I look at the beautiful cover art, the first Toriyama wasn't able to do. This franchise is entering a new era and I can't help but be excited for the future while also looking to the past with a tinge of sadness.

I apologize for not updating the thread, I haven't been at my desk and don't want to do it on my phone.

Goes without saying I'm very excited for this and the trailer makes me emotional every time I watch it. It is utter excitement mixed with somber melancholy as I look at the beautiful cover art, the first Toriyama wasn't able to do. This franchise is entering a new era and I can't help but be excited for the future while also looking to the past with a tinge of sadness.
thank you again for doing this ST — I can't think of a more perfect shepherd for the franchise on our humble boards!

the new trailer is thrilling and bittersweet all the same. I look forward to jumping into the series more fully when this beautiful rendition of III drops.

I initially came here to post "wait wtf I thought DQ stood for Donkey Qong" but your heartfelt post totally capsized the shitpost ship and left me on an earnest little lifeboat

thank you

I'm really excited, the main issue was I had a very bad week at the job. But yeah, this weekend I'm hitting the pen and working on the draft of the ST.

thank you again for doing this ST — I can't think of a more perfect shepherd for the franchise on our humble boards!

the new trailer is thrilling and bittersweet all the same. I look forward to jumping into the series more fully when this beautiful rendition of III drops.

I initially came here to post "wait wtf I thought DQ stood for Donkey Qong" but your heartfelt post totally capsized the shitpost ship and left me on an earnest little lifeboat

thank you
Thank you for the kind words and checking out the thread!

I'm really excited, the main issue was I had a very bad week at the job. But yeah, this weekend I'm hitting the pen and working on the draft of the ST.
Looking forward to it! You'll do a great job I'm sure, who could better than you for this game!!

Back
Top Bottom