• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake new trailer, coming to PC and consoles on November 14th, Dragon Quest I&II HD-2D Remake coming 2025

box art New
GQXwucTXcAAv2wp

I suspect they will add stuff from later entries, like monsters, spells etc. Because we know they're adding stuff like this new vocation and the new story scenarios.

I expect them to expand and rebalance the vocations and their abilities as well.
Yeah, too much to think about! I'm also happy they added voice acting

Alright SE you just sold me three DQ games. Now please do 4 and 6 as well. I also want FFIII and FFVI with this art style.

Uh, an interesting tidbit. Artdink (of Triangle Strategy fame among HD-2D enthusiasts) is the co-developer of the DQ Remakes.

It's very much possible the games took so long because of a change of developer then, on top of having to work on I&II. Amata K.K. might not have been up to SE's standard while on the other hand Artdink had already proven themselves and had amassed a decent amount of experience making games of this ilk. They're a pretty big studio though iirc, and after the 2 year anniversary tweet I don't think folks should worry about a possible TS2 being impacted because of this.

Also yeah that's Ikushima's style. Pretty unmistakable at this point. Fun to see it applied to a franchise as established as DQ.

My preview embargo for this just lifted so enjoy!

November is gonna be PEAK!

Thank you for mentioning the platforms you played this on! I watched/read multiple previews, some of which mentioned performance dips, and none of them stated what platform(s) the game was demoed on.

Do you have any Switch-specific impressions beyond what you shared in the video? I'd probably want to get this for Switch and I'm hoping it's a solid version.

That cover art, my god.

What makes DQ III special?

I know it’s a beloved series but why is this specific game held in such high regard?

DQ 1 was a very short game, and 2 had it's quirks, too. You could say that 3 was the first "proper" DQ game, a (for that time) beefy RPG.

And while it's the third DQ game, regarding plot and story, it's actually the "first" game. Directly connected to DQ 1 and 2, so there's some thought why they're doing this trilogy remake approach.

Though personally, i wouldn't say that 3 is held in a "unique" high regard. Basically all games after 2 are quality and have many fans.
For example, i actually love the trilogy that came after 3, Chapters of the Chosen (4), Hand of the Heavenly Bride (5, this one especially!) and Realms of Revelation (6).

Last edited:
Still in awe at that new art, ngl.

dragon-quest-1.jpg

If it weren't for Zelda, this would be my most anticipated release for the rest of the year. Hope 1&2 is earlier in 2025 rather than later.

Team Asano engaging in some Xitter drama?!

Translated via DeepL:
Some people said that it took too long from the announcement of the start of development, but in fact, all of our past titles have taken 3 to 4 years in development, so it is not something special.

However, it was just that the announcement was made earlier than usual (reflection).

So, thank you very much for your cooperation.
RT

Jokes aside I still think they changed co-developer. The original YouTube upload couldn't have had Amata K.K. there just by a mistake, so I'd guess they switched over to Artdink pretty quickly.

I passed on the I-III pixel remasters from a few years back because the graphics were too different from the originals to hit that sweet spot of nostalgia, yet too similar to trigger my interest (and frankly they looked ugly). These new remakes are different enough to feel like a fresh experience, I'm on board.

I passed on the I-III pixel remasters from a few years back because the graphics were too different from the originals to hit that sweet spot of nostalgia, yet too similar to trigger my interest (and frankly they looked ugly). These new remakes are different enough to feel like a fresh experience, I'm on board.
If you're referring to what released on Switch, those weren't pixel remasters. Just lazy ports of the mobile versions.

Uh, an interesting tidbit. Artdink (of Triangle Strategy fame among HD-2D enthusiasts) is the co-developer of the DQ Remakes.

It's very much possible the games took so long because of a change of developer then, on top of having to work on I&II. Amata K.K. might not have been up to SE's standard while on the other hand Artdink had already proven themselves and had amassed a decent amount of experience making games of this ilk. They're a pretty big studio though iirc, and after the 2 year anniversary tweet I don't think folks should worry about a possible TS2 being impacted because of this.

Also yeah that's Ikushima's style. Pretty unmistakable at this point. Fun to see it applied to a franchise as established as DQ.
I will always associate Artdink with Tail of the Sun, in the early 2010’s Game Informer did a full playthrough series and it is probably one my favorite watches to this day.

Pretty much me as well. I went back and forth on them, but I never bought the games. These will be awesome for me. I've only ever played DQ4 and 5.

Anybody knows whether the physical will come out in Europe? I haven't seen it listed anywhere except Playasia, but they've been wrong in the past. I'll just preorder de US version if not, but it seems kind of weird since I believe all DQ games for Switch had been released physically in Europe (except I+II+III which was an Asia exclusive)?

Anybody knows whether the physical will come out in Europe? I haven't seen it listed anywhere except Playasia, but they've been wrong in the past. I'll just preorder de US version if not, but it seems kind of weird since I believe all DQ games for Switch had been released physically in Europe (except I+II+III which was an Asia exclusive)?

Since i just preordered it not even 10 minutes ago on Amazon.de ... i'd say yeah it will come out physically in Europe. ;D

But if you're interested in the Collectors Edition, that one is a SQEX Store exclusive if i got that right.

Since i just preordered it not even 10 minutes ago on Amazon.de ... i'd say yeah it will come out physically in Europe. ;D

But if you're interested in the Collectors Edition, that one is a SQEX Store exclusive if i got that right.
Thanks! I guess it'll take a bit for it to show up on other online shops.

Haha I can't ever justify buying Collectors Editions, I'll just be content with my trusty Slime plush. Although I really need to get myself the DQ Toriyama artbook before it completely disappears.

I know it’s a beloved series but why is this specific game held in such high regard?
III is a much grander and larger game compared to the first 2 games. III also gives you the ability to build/customize your own party and party members can change classes later in the game. The game offers a large world with a nice variety of locales and a great variety of weapons, armor, items, magic, monsters, etc... it was pretty big and engaging back in the day.

Don't know which country you live in, but also available on Amazon.fr now !

Up on Amazon UK now too

If this plus 1/2 does well, I wonder if Square will start to remake the rest of the series in HD-2D form.
I think that the problem is development time. It’s clear these are not just some tiny little project. DQ1 is a small game but the rest are going to take years. Is it enough to release IV and V and VI all three years apart, for example? Then once you get to VII the games absolutely balloon in length and content.

This'll be my first Dragon Quest game as well. I was wondering why they were starting with 3 before doing 1 and 2, but seeing above that this is the first part of the story (however that works) makes sense.

this is the first part of the story (however that works)

Dragon Quest III is simply a prequel to Dragon Quest I. You actually play through the events that the lore of Dragon Quest I - involving the legendary hero "Erdrick" - vaguely talks about. Furthermore, part of Dragon Quest III takes place in Alefgard (the world Dragon Quest I takes place in) but in an earlier state.

(And, for context, Dragon Quest II is a sequel to Dragon Quest I, so the order goes 3 > 1 > 2, hence why they're releasing 3 then 1 & 2!)

There's significant time gap between each game, so it's not like you're playing successive generations. That said, the connection between each is hammered into your face sooner or later.
Horii telling us that he's interested in the response of people playing in the order of 3-1-2 is interesting though. I interpret that to suggest some expansion/bonus callbacks added to the 1+2 remake.
Also, I've seen someone on reddit claim that Horii said on twitter that there's a save file bonus between 3 and 1+2. Can anybody find this tweet?

Thank you for mentioning the platforms you played this on! I watched/read multiple previews, some of which mentioned performance dips, and none of them stated what platform(s) the game was demoed on.

Do you have any Switch-specific impressions beyond what you shared in the video? I'd probably want to get this for Switch and I'm hoping it's a solid version.
Just that I enjoyed what I played on Switch and that the 30 fps vs 60 fps thing didn’t matter to me at all: I’ll be playing it on there myself!

This will be my November game.

It’s been a while since XI and I really enjoyed that. With the more modern QOL improvements, I’ll probably enjoy this one too.

Dragon Quest III is simply a prequel to Dragon Quest I. You actually play through the events that the lore of Dragon Quest I - involving the legendary hero "Erdrick" - vaguely talks about. Furthermore, part of Dragon Quest III takes place in Alefgard (the world Dragon Quest I takes place in) but in an earlier state.

(And, for context, Dragon Quest II is a sequel to Dragon Quest I, so the order goes 3 > 1 > 2, hence why they're releasing 3 then 1 & 2!)
It's also not the kind of prequel that treats the story as if you've played the earlier entries (because it is supposed to be a surprise twist). DQ3 stands alone very well, and it's link to the first two games isn't established until the very end.

This game had both momentum, timing, and scale on its side. And none of that gets in the way of its playability or accessibility.

Since DQ1 in 1986, RPGs had slowly been penetrating the mainstream Japanese landscape thanks in part to the trifecta of culture it was reaching (gaming, music, manga). DQ3's release was basically poised to deliver and explode upon its release. If you want an example, think of it like Mario 3 mania in the US; that was DQ3 in Japan. It's the game that everyone else followed the blueprint of in later releases, and even inspired non RPGs.

It's probably one of the earliest RPGs that did open world really well. Open world was an RPG staple in the early 80s, but DQ3 refined and polished it. It presents you with a small playground that quickly expands, but is always subtely guiding you through a linear experience, gated only by your strength and skill as a player rather than any hard locks. But instead of this open world coming at the cost of a coherent narrative, those geniuses as Chunsoft decided that each town would have their own mini narrative arc play out; so when you entered a new sphere of the map it was little vignette that fed into the grander adventure.

And I think the most remarkable thing about DQ 3 is just how finely tuned it is. It's a game that, for its age, has barely seen balancing, or story changes, through rereleases. Compare that to many early Final Fantasy games, which have been remade, rebalanced, reworked heavily through the years. (Just look at 1-3).

That doesn't mean the remasters and rereleases didn't fix things, but in comparison, not a lot has changed. Mainly just extra additions to the post game that don't impact the core experience of DQ3. This remake is probably gonna be the most extensive expansion since the SNES remake which was the last real jump.

Last edited:
This game had both momentum, timing, and scale on its side. And none of that gets in the way of its playability as well as accessibility.

Since DQ1 in 1986, RPGs had slowly been penetrating the mainstream Japanese landscape thanks in part to the trifecta of culture it was reaching (gaming, music, manga). DQ3's release was basically poised to deliver and explode upon its release. If you want an example, think of it like Mario 3 and the absolute mania that game garnered in the United States, and that describes what Dragon Quest 3 was. It's the game that everyone else followed the blueprint of in later releases, such as the concept of multiple worlds in an RPG.

DQ3 is probably one of the earliest RPGs that just did open world really well. Plenty of other RPGs also were open at the time period, but DQ3 managed to do what took Zelda decades to do. It presents you with a wide open world that quickly expands, but is always subtely guiding you through a linear experience, gated only by your strength and skill as a player rather than any hard locks. But instead of this open world coming at the cost of a coherent narrative, those geniuses as Chunsoft decided that each town would have their own miniature narrative arc play out; so when you entered a new sphere of the map it was little vingette that fed into the grander narrative of the adventure.

And I think the most remarkable thing about DQ 3 is just how finely tuned it is. It's a game that for the time period has barely seen balancing changes, story changes, in the many years since it released. Compare that to many early Final Fantasy games, whose number of balancing issues and system related glitches, has been extensively reworked and redone in very radical remakes. (Just look at 1-3)

That doesn't mean the remasters and rereleases didn't fix things, but in comparison, a lot has not changed. Mainly just extra additions to the post game that don't imapct the core experience of DQ3. The game is certainly, humbler, but it is still a wonder how smooth it is.
Wow, you completely sold me on getting this game!

Really looking forward to buying this on release. Alas, it does release rather close to Mario & Luigi: Brothership and ANTONBLAST, so it'll probably go onto the backburner for a few weeks until I beat both of those games.

That said, while I like the visuals, I do wish it looks a tad closer to how it did when it was first announced. A lot of the world looks really big - almost as if the main character sprites look too small. If there's one thing I do like about the visuals, though, is that it seems to be lending itself to more varied setpieces out in the world and in dungeons, which was always a weak point of earlier HD-2D games such as Octopath and Octopath II.

Back
Top Bottom