• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Dragon Quest Day Speculation Thread - May 27, 2024

Pronouns
he/him
Dragon Quest Day is fast approaching, which means series announcements are incoming!

So far there's been no information regarding a livestream event which they have done in the past.

What we can expect:
-Update on Dragon Quest III HD2D (release date for this year?)
-A proper cinematic or gameplay reveal for Dragon Quest XII
-A celebration of Mr. Toryiama's work

Wishlist:
-Dragon Quest IX remake/port to modern platforms

What Dragon Quest news are you hoping for?

I don't ask for much. Just give me some update on that Dragon Quest 3 remake, I don't even need a release date :LOL:

Also maybe we finally get the fabled DQ X offline western release?

Expectations: Some new mobile games and updates for DQX and DQ3 HD2D
Wishes: A reveal of a brand new Dragon Quest console game (whatever that is)

With no stream or anything announced, I figure we just get a tweet that says happy birthday dq and then silence for the rest of the year

Yuji Horii doing his best impression of Takahashi, has the sad news to report that DQIII HD2D has been rebooted.

Obviously, I want as much on XII and III HD2D as they are (finally) willing to talk about. I still have the vague hope that maybe the latter could hit this year.

As for a wish? While DQ gets its fair share of interesting spin-offs, it's never gotten something like a Dissidia-like crossover fighting game. Let FF continue taking a break while DQ gets the go ahead this time around.

Dragon Quest just really needs to release a proper full RPG that hasn't been developed on a shoestring budget. I had some fun with Treasures and Dark Prince, but it's time for another true adventure -- whether that's 3HD, XII, X Offline, another remake, whatever... I'm starving over here. Even Switch ports of the 3DS versions of VII and VIII would be acceptable at this point!

i really hope for some more remakes and ports of the older games:

of course, an update on 3 HD-2D, hopefully with a worldwide release this year
ports of the DS/mobile versions 4/5/6
an HD remaster of 8
less likely, i wouldn't mind them doing the pixel remaster thing to the early DQ games but it looks like they didn't end up being the definitive versions for some ff fans for some reason?

i think it's too soon for any update on 12, the earliest we'll hear about that is the switch 2 reveal event

edit: lol, forgot about 10 offline

Last edited:
I would love to be able to play the older 3D Dragon Quest games on modern consoles. Also Dragon Quest 10 offline western release would be appreciated.

I think the last time they had a livestream they announced it weeks in advance, so I think we'll just get some comments from Yuji Horii which might mention something about the upcoming projects, but I doubt anything substantial.

Also for the people asking for Dragon Quest X Offline - the game is launching next week in Asian territories outside of Japan, but for some reason it's on everything except Switch and I feel like if an international release were to happen it would be the same there.

Also for the people asking for Dragon Quest X Offline - the game is launching next week in Asian territories outside of Japan, but for some reason it's on everything except Switch and I feel like if an international release were to happen it would be the same there.
huh, that's very weird. maybe nintendo is handing publishing for the switch version outside of japan?

All I want is DQ3R releasing this year, that would be sweet. I wouldn't say no to a more substantial DQ12 teaser, but I don't really expect to get that this year.

I'm done asking for a DQ10 Offline localization, do whatever you want, SE.

huh, that's very weird. maybe nintendo is handing publishing for the switch version outside of japan?
The thing is, exclusives like Treasures and Monsters 3 were published by Square themselves, but a multiplat would be published by Nintendo? It doesn't really make sense.

Wishes: DQ3 2dHD news
Expectation: a twitter post with some images and a "we continue to work on our titles, please be patient"

Also still seeing a lot of hopium for DQX offline localization, I¡ll gladly eat crow if that happens, but that shipped sailed a loooong time ago

The thing is, exclusives like Treasures and Monsters 3 were published by Square themselves, but a multiplat would be published by Nintendo? It doesn't really make sense.
This is what happened with both Dragon Quest Builders games on Switch, though.

Predictions:
-DQ III HD2D release date
-At least 2 mobile games that’ll be shut down in a few years
-Dragon Quest XII teaser

Wishlist:
-DQ IX remake
-DQ X Offline English release
-DQ Builders 3

Maybe they could start out with the formal announcement of Dragon Quest Builders 3, then announce Dragon Quest X and Dragon Quest Walk for Western countries. When that's done they could show a trailer for Dragon Quest XII. Maybe a new mobile game or 2, I don't want to ask for too much.

Ok, Maybe another quickie then. Dragon Quest 9 remake.

Realistic expectation:

A new mobile game that will only be released in Japanese.

Realistically, I think III 2DHD news is pretty safe. Beyond that, probably some mobile game spin-off stuff.

And while I am definitely most interested in what XII is going to look like, I think all we'll get for it is "we're working on it".

In terms of wishlist...

I'd love to get some of the 3DS games on Switch or even PC as holdovers for the big stuff. Would love to play VIII again on the big screen with the added 3DS features.

Also... maybe I am in the minority, I am really not sure, but I'd also love to see another musou. They could even add some characters from XI. I love fanservice-y games like that.

In my perfect world, they date DQ3make for this year, announce ports/remasters of a bunch of the other old games (it's so weird how Switch has just 1, 2, 3, and 11), and announce DQ12 for Switch 2 because Horii don't give a fuck

Pragmatically, they'll say something about having more news for DQ3make "soon" and announce a Japan-only mobile game that won't be playable 5 years from now

This is what happened with both Dragon Quest Builders games on Switch, though.
Yeah, but early on in the generation Nintendo was just bending over backwards for publishers to get them on board with the Switch. It's only in the last 1-2 years that Square started self-publishing these "smaller" releases rather than relying on Nintendo. Previously games like DQ Treasures/Monsters, Harvestella or the Switch version of Octopath 2 would've been published by Nintendo, but instead they were self-published and so will future releases as well. (at least IMO)

And if Nintendo is publishing X outside of Japan, then why are they not releasing it at the same time as the other versions or at least announcing that it's coming soon, really bad move on their part.

Not sure, last two DQ announcements were on Directs. Treasures were teased on DQ day but revealed on a June Direct. I expect the same here. Some teases and full reveal at Direct few weeks later.

I’ve given up hope that DQX offline is coming west, but please god release the 3 remake this year.

DQ3 is one of my favorite games of all time and we’ve been waiting for updates on the remake for years at this point. I just want a release date.

I’m expecting concept art for DQ12 at most, anything more would be a genuine surprise.

Absolutely nothing for a DQ10 Offline localization. That ship has sailed a long time ago.

My totally reasonable expectations that are totally not wishful unrealistic dreams:

• Dragon Quest III HD-2D update and release date
  • Dragon Quest Zenithian trilogy port to modern platforms
  • Dragon Quest X (Online AND Offline) localisation
  • Dragon Quest XII reveal
  • Slime Mori Mori and Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime remake announcement
  • Dragon Quest Builders 3 baybeeeeeee
  • Theatrhythm Final Bar Line Dragon Quest edition. Includes all DQ mainline and spin-off tracks, DLC from Theatrhythm Final Bar Line carries over to this game
  • Dragon Quest IX remake reveal

This will 100% happen guys, screenshot this post

Dragon Quest XI turns 7 years old next month. Why exactly do you all think we won't see anything (or only concept art) for its successor that has been formerly announced three fucking years ago?

DQ XI S had some good representation, knowing you could have any male character during a "wedding training" quest (and Erik didn't mind).
Later in the game you can also choose who will share their life with you, and the S version added the possibility to choose any male character too.

Having this while sugiyama was an openly proud homophobic pile of human wastes that Square had to publicly apology for him.

Now that's the sac of vomit is dead, I hope Horii and his team can finally take a breath from all his other bullshit.

Realistically, DQ3 HD2D dated for this year and DQM3 comes to Steam (like Treasures last year). And some mobile collab. DQ12 will be a Switch 2 reveal event title.

Wishfully thinking, everything above + DQ12 trailer, DQ4-6 ports to modern platforms, and DQX Offline worldwide localization

Dragon Quest XI turns 7 years old next month. Why exactly do you all think we won't see anything (or only concept art) for its successor that has been formerly announced three fucking years ago?
I mean, Metroid Prime 3 is nearly 17 years old, and it's successor was announced 7 years ago, and still waiting...

Please just start porting old games. I want to play IV-VI on Switch. You can pretty easily do VII, VIII, and IX too.

I mean, Metroid Prime 3 is nearly 17 years old, and it's successor was announced 7 years ago, and still waiting...
Doens't matter how old Metroid Prime 3 is, as there hasn't been another game in development for a decade. Metroid Prime 4 is also a special case, because Nintendo only announced it this early (basically when they just started brainstorming, lol) to not upset the fanbase with the announcement of the Metroid 2 remake for 3DS. Also, after two years they started from scratch with a new developer and knowing Nintendo, they will only show the game shortly before its release. Square Enix on the other hand has no problem showing trailers or gameplay videos years in advance, like with the Dragon Quest III remake or Dragon Quest XI.

I want VII and VIII ported over to Switch and PS5..

For everybody wishing for DQX Offline, be careful what you wish for… It’s a horrible horrible game that killed my love for the series (and the two other DQ fans I know who have played it) to a point. I need another goood one to pull me back in.

For everybody wishing for DQX Offline, be careful what you wish for… It’s a horrible horrible game that killed my love for the series (and the two other DQ fans I know who have played it) to a point. I need another goood one to pull me back in.
Wait, what? I've heard nothing but praise for Dragon Quest X so far.

200w.gif

Back
Top Bottom