• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Dragon Age Dreadwolf is now Dragon Age The Veilguard; 15mins of Gameplay on June 11th

ILikeFeet

Fox Brigade
reason behind the name change
Each of the seven unique characters that make up your companions will have deep and compelling storylines where the decisions you make will impact your relationships with them – as well as their lives. You’ll unite this team of unforgettable heroes as you take on a terrifying new threat unleashed on the world. Naturally, the Dread Wolf still has an important part in this tale, but you and your companions – not your enemies – are the heart of this new experience.

So, to capture what this game is all about, we changed the name as the original title didn’t show just how strongly we feel about our new heroes, their stories and how you’ll need to bring them together to save all of Thedas.
We proudly introduce to you Dragon Age™: The Veilguard.
read the rest here

I'm fuckin excited

Last edited:
What a bad namechange.

Not that "Dreadwolf" wasn't somewhat corny, too, but at least it was "cool corny".

I know nothing about Dragon Age, so maybe there’s more meaning behind these names, but Dreadwolf is such a cool name. The Veilguard, ehhhh.

I've never played a Dragon Age game so I don't know how much my opinion matters, but the new titles feels like a downgrade

Dreadwolf was much more bad ass.
This guy is the "Dreadwolf" by the way:
AU6rBkTSbLZDCSCM7XzHeY-1200-80.jpg

So "badass" isn't the first thing that comes to my mind.

Baldass

look. I don't have a rat in this race but I would take "Veilguard" over "The Veilguard" any day

IGN interview with more information:

One tidbit that does disappoint me a little:
“As an RPG, strategy in combat is important as you bring two companions to every fight. Each companion brings unique powers and abilities that have a direct impact on how you choose to take down the enemies at hand,” he says. “To add another layer to that strategic element, we’re introducing a new ability wheel where you can pause the action and set up your next move – whether it’s your companions’ abilities or your own.

Giving it a worse name at the last minute is such a Dragon Age thing to do. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing some actual gameplay after years of teaser trailers.

Well... can't say I really like this trailer... but we have an actual gameplay trailer on the 11th which will hopefully be better

I don't have strong opinions on the new art style or the new name, but I did like seeing the new companions, which are generally the highlight of Bioware's games.

the reception has not been pretty, but they might be able to claw back some good will in a couple days

I mean, there are two options.

1. The game is still doing GoW 2018 gameplay, which will piss off Dragon Age fans even more.
2. They rebooted the game again and went with another gameplay style, but this means the game is likely super super rushed (and not very good)

I don't know

Dragon Age is one of the very few big series left to appear on any Nintendo platform. Will this one change it? I mean, three of those series are from EA (others being Battlefield and Mirror's Edge), sounds more like a EA decision.

Well... can't say I really like this trailer... but we have an actual gameplay trailer on the 11th which will hopefully be better

Yeah, this trailer did not give me good vibes. I'd need to see the game in proper gameplay action, but this reveal really didn't impress me.

Also, one trailer impressions article I read said the characters reminded them of a hero shooter cast. 😂

That art style is definitely something considering the last games went for realism/hard fantasy.

I woke up this morning and redownloaded DAI and was gonna do another playthrough, but after I saw this trailer I stopped myself and wondered if this series even had a future for me to get excited about.

I need to see the gameplay trailer, because the one from the weekend honestly put me off the game.

The trailer was kinda bad but that 20 seconds of gameplay at least looks very nice. I will withhold final judgment now until after the full gameplay tomorrow, lol.

This looks a lot better. To the point I'm wondering why the trailer looks the way it does lol.

It was a companion trailer, which is a big part of the series, but like...
Surely there was a better way to deliver on the concept more in-line with what the series is?
Even if this trailer was trying to capture some new audience(let's be real, it's been a while since the last DA game) people are generally down on this kind of tone for a couple of years at this point. So even if that was the goal, it most likely did not work as intended.

That trailer was a strange choice.

To be fair, it's not the first time a Dragon Age/EA trailer has been questionable over the years.

The character trailer leaned too far into fun and lighthearted for its own good, SURE. But one promotional choice says nothing about the known quality of the team, the writers and their respect for the franchise's legacy.

I'm massively optimistic about this being a true, very enjoyable Dragon Age experience. And frankly you'd think the current state of studios and developers being treated like shit by their owners it would give gaming fans pause before the kinds of scorched earth, kneejerk negative reactions I've seen most places.

Reminds me about that quote that EA only like shiny exciting things and don't really understand why people like nerdy content. It seems the marketing team massively misunderstood the player base of this game and defaulted to a trailer you'd see at TGA.

You can clearly tell apart the people who have never played a Dragon Age complain about the dialogue in a reveal trailer

Dragon Age dialogue has always been tremendously cornball

You can clearly tell apart the people who have never played a Dragon Age complain about the dialogue in a reveal trailer

Dragon Age dialogue has always been tremendously cornball
Seems like an unfair generalisation considering huge chunks of fans didn't like it. It just sounded more Marvel-y than the usual DA quips.

screenshots from twitter

GPq2bawaQAEYZMZ

GPrD-qSawAAgpCC

GPrEJ-EaQAAYRTr

GPrESkeboAAuap5

GPrErekbIAA7rHF

GPvmiPZXMAAEkjc

I mean, they’re bullshots of course, but they’re doing a great job of making me feel excited for this game. I adored dragon age inquisition. It was the first and only da game I’ve ever played. I was always more mass effect than dragon age during that generation of consoles. But I’m glad I gave it a shot because I thought it was a really special game with great characters, art, and music. Hopefully this game continues that. Bioware needs a win 2 after the 1-2 reputation punch that was andromeda and anthem

these days? probably not. with all the ray tracing being thrown around it can definitely look like this in-game.

provided they're not cowards, of course
Thats true. I was just talking to my friend about this. Every game looks so damn good now that I’m no longer blown away by graphics haha. Like even the double a games look amazing.

I will say that rtx is a game changer though. Been playing alot more on pc in the past two years, and games with full path tracing were genuinely jaw dropping the first time I saw them

Neve is in the Tevinter Nights book and has a prosthetic leg, someone tries to stab her there and it just bounces off. Keen to see more of her!

Seems like an unfair generalisation considering huge chunks of fans didn't like it. It just sounded more Marvel-y than the usual DA quips
I don't care about that.

Or rather, I'm well within my right to call those 'huge chunks of fans' and their overreactions strange. Franchise is old.

Back
Top Bottom