• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Does anyone else want a Switch sequel to Nintendo Land?

pokeweeb3

Rattata
I put a lot of time into Nintendo Land on the Wii U. Recently, I went back to the game and I think it is still a lot of fun.

While a direct port of the game would be impossible, I think a sequel could work fine. There are a lot of Nintendo franchises they could add minigames for: Kirby, Star Fox, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, etc. While Nintendo Land was designed to show off the features of the Wii U Gamepad, it is also a celebration of Nintendo's franchises. It's the only game outside of Smash Bros. to do that. The concept does not have to be tied to the Wii U hardware.

The big thing missing from Nintendo Land was online multiplayer, so that would be a great addition. Luigi's Ghost Mansion and Mario Chase could even work on Switch with online.

And one more thing: Nintendo now have a REAL LIFE theme park. They could incorporate elements of the real park into the game.

If 1-2-Switch can get a sequel, I don't see why Nintendo Land can't. I think it deserves a chance to succeed on a high-selling console.

Anyone else want a Nintendo Land sequel? Or am I alone in my love for this game?

A new Nintendo theme park game would be cool, but I think "Nintendoland" is a name that shouldn't come back.

It just wouldn't be the same without the gamepad

Mario Chase was a god-tier party game. One of my cousins bought a used Wii U literally just for that

I would love a sequel to Nintendoland, bringing back the Luigi’s Mansion and Mario Chase mini games specifically. I am hoping that Switch 2 somehow allows the option of the Switch being able to stream to the TV without the need to always have it docked thus allow Wii U Gamepad-like functionality.

Nintendoland was actually really cool and fun.

Nope

Nintendo land was a huge example of inaccessibility, bad scope, and confusion as party game.

It was trying to do way too many things at once, so much so that it fails at pretty much everything it set out to do.

Don't think it will necessarily be Nintendo Land 2, as there is no gamepad and you can really replicate that with anything like in Maker 2 with normal controls in docked mode instead of Wii U GamePad.

I expect there are plenty other concepts like this in development at EPD though, that will utilize new hardware and not only from EPD4. Think of something like ARMS but with different game and genre.

Don't think it will necessarily be Nintendo Land 2, as there is no gamepad and you can really replicate that with anything like in Maker 2 with normal controls in docked mode instead of Wii U GamePad.
This is not possible for Nintendo Land though, because some games had asymmetric screens. For example, the Ghost in Luigi's mansion could see themselves on the gamepad, but for the others they were invisible on the TV screen. I don't think that's possible to recreate with a single switch.

I'd love to see a sequel though. Game was great fun with some friends. Mario, Luigi's mansion and Metroid were the standouts to me. I'm planning to go back sometime to give the singleplayer games a go, as I barely played them.

This is not possible for Nintendo Land though, because some games had asymmetric screens. For example, the Ghost in Luigi's mansion could see themselves on the gamepad, but for the others they were invisible on the TV screen. I don't think that's possible to recreate with a single switch.

I'd love to see a sequel though. Game was great fun with some friends. Mario, Luigi's mansion and Metroid were the standouts to me. I'm planning to go back sometime to give the singleplayer games a go, as I barely played them.
Oops, I meant to type can't, it really shows it's still a morning. I even added the Maker 2 example as that could have been replicated on TV Mode, with this title it will not work of course.

Nope

Nintendo land was a huge example of inaccessibility, bad scope, and confusion as party game.

It was trying to do way too many things at once, so much so that it fails at pretty much everything it set out to do.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more.

I think the only thing Nintendo Land really failed to do was appeal to super-casual gamers like Wii Sports did. The minigames were too complex compared to Tennis, Bowling, Golf, etc. Nintendo should not have expected the Wii Sports audience to love Nintendo Land.

But, compared to Wii Sports... Nintendo Land has way more variety, replayability, much better single-player content, and some genuinely challenging levels and achievements. The Metroid, Zelda and Pikmin minigames offer hours of content each. There's also a lot of fanservice for Nintendo fans, including the musical remixes and all the prizes you can add to the hub world.

I think a sequel could be great if it was just focused on being a fun collection of Nintendo-themed minigames, and not being concerned about launching a new console or showing off a new gimmick.

Definitely wouldn't mind a sequel. You'd have to have (mostly) brand new attractions since the Wii U gamepad stuff wouldn't carry over at all, but they could manage. They could also incorporate newer franchises like Splatoon, or even work with GameFreak and HAL to give Pokémon and Kirby representation respectively.

I'd also love to see an expansion of the park overworld itself. It was so fun using your coins to earn prizes and populate Nintendo Land with cool trophies of Nintendo memorabilia. It would be cool to see the concept taken to the next level, perhaps with options to fully customize and manage the park as your own.

Only condition is that they keep the Miis. This feels like it shouldn't even have to be said, but after Switch Sports shoved them aside I don't trust Nintendo with franchises that once used them prominently.

I loved the asynchronous gameplay so I’d be all in. The game select concept with the theme park wasn’t that appealing but some games really are worth a sequel!

Never played Nintendoland but asymmetrical gameplay/multiplayer always appeals to me

I'd definitely try a Switch (or new console) sequel

I have a friend who hates the WiiU and loves Nintendo Land. Every time we talk video games he asks about the next Nintendo Land lol.

I would love a collection of minigames like Nintendo Land with a good online mode.
I think it would be perfect to make them free for NSO+ subscribers (like a tetris99, etc) and release a new mini-game every three months.

Nintendo Land was great, but a part of appeal of Nintendo Land was indeed its asynchronous multiplayer. To replicate that, you need local play/LAN with two+ Switches, already increasing the barrier to entry. While you can do what Clubhouse Games does and have a separate app you download to facilitate Download Play, it's still a barrier to entry.

So what could you do with Nintendo Land 2? You could do that again, but the barrier to entry would be way too hard unless Switch 2 magically allows dual screen play with the dock, and that seems like a nightmare to deal with for developers. You could just have more traditional minigames which would be fine, but it would feel like a sidegrade at best.

So I would love another minigame collection like Nintendo Land (and Clubhouse Games), but for a sequel/spiritual successor to Nintendo Land? You gotta have a strong pitch with no GamePad.

People say NL is great but I remember it took like an hour just introducing me to the main hub. I never booted it again.

I feel like a sequel could move away from the lame theme park framing and do something more interesting with the core concept

I feel like a sequel could move away from the lame theme park framing and do something more interesting with the core concept

I think the most important theme / identity of Nintendo Land is the idea of making fun mini-games around the history of different Nintendo IP. Nintendo Land 2 could just as easily be an arcade that your mii walks into and it has different games based off dozens of different IP. Your character walks up to the Star Fox, Murasame, Mole Mania, Excitebike, Balloon Fight station and immediately plays a game based off the respective IP.

I think the most important theme / identity of Nintendo Land is the idea of making fun mini-games around the history of different Nintendo IP. Nintendo Land 2 could just as easily be an arcade that your mii walks into and it has different games based off dozens of different IP. Your character walks up to the Star Fox, Murasame, Mole Mania, Excitebike, Balloon Fight station and immediately plays a game based off the respective IP.
This is pretty close to what I was thinking. Specifically I had Rusty's Real Deal Baseball in mind

I really like the idea of Nintendo revisiting its own licenses in an innovative and user-friendly way. There's absolutely no need for asymmetrical or dual-screen gameplay to explore this, so I hope they continue to do so.

It's a great opportunity to experiment with unique ideas. Nintendo Land 2 would make a lot more sense than Bojack Horseshit. In fact, it would even make a more sense than creating ARMS while you let Punch Out sleep.

Back
Top Bottom