• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Do you prefer the look of Wind Waker or Wind Waker HD?

Favourite look?

• Total voters
OG looks much better and I’m saying that as someone who is not even a fan of TWW. However the visuals were one of the major things going in its favour. So, seeing them ruined in the HD version is just such a shame.

The overdone bloom and ugly color changes to some of the textures (The sky for instance looks hideous and blown out in the remake) Link looks like clay now when he's standing next to a light source, it looks bad in a lot of areas. Ghoma’s first appearance looks bad now while it was visually striking in the original, Hyrule's black and white color got changed to sepia for no good reason, it just looks like piss now. There are more issues but these are the really glaring ones.

The HD version doesn't really look like cel animation anymore. It's like they slapped on a bunch of photoshop filters to make the HD version pop more and called it a day while as the original was carefully considered. The HD version reminds me of those overcooked mods that you see of BOTW when played on CEMU by people who have no taste.

It's stuff like this that makes me glad when remasters just leave well enough alone. Skyward Sword HD got backlash for not doing enough but i would rather the original look be preserved than have cases like this. Where the devs completely change the look for the worse. It's like a bad movie remaster that gets a completely revisionist color grade. That’s what TWWHD is. When they re release this game in 4K or whatever they really should revert all these visual changes.

I really like both, and truly don't have a preference. The other has stylistic aspects that I prefer in one of them and vice versa. Truly, if they're doing a Switch port, I'd hope it's not a straight port of the Wii U version, but rather a happy medium that isn't as bright as the Wii U version but moreso than the GameCube version.

I find the HD version genuinely hard to look at sometimes and I find it kinda overproduced if that's the right way to put it. The OG looked really nice, it just needed higher res textures and some little bits of post processing effects. HD just went really overboard for my liking, to the point it doesn't feel like the same style anymore.

HD looks great most of the time, maybe even better in some cases, but there are certain situations where the gradient shading looks positively garish. A few times where the light source is directly from the viewer's perspective, such as when picking up key items if I recall, look horrible. Practically pillow shaded

Back
Top Bottom