• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Do you like pit bulls

One of my dogs is an amstaff and she’s the sweetest dog I’ve ever met. She’s got a bowling ball for a skull though.

Not a big fan of dogs (don’t hurt me). I don’t like them any more or less than other breeds!

I know several people that have been injured due to pitbulls biting them. They're an awful dog breed.

if anyone blams the bread and not the owner then they can screw right off,
Every dog has a breaking point. Even my families sweetest dog, a Cavi King Charles Spaniel. Known for being the most chillest, and friendly breed. And she is literally the most loving and sweetest dog anyone has ever met.

At my wedding, she got kind of overwhelmed with the loud music, and the amount of people later in the night, and she ended up biting one of our guests because the guest stepped on her paw. She literally, never does that, and hasn't ever done it again.

The thing is, she couldn't even break blood when that happened. And she was super small, so we scooped her up, tucked her into bed. And she was able to rest. And we all were able to laugh about it.

If she was a Pit Bull though, that guest would have been majorly injured because of the pit bulls strong lockjaw. And there wouldn't really been anything we can do about it.

It doesn't really matter if you subscribe to the belief that pit bulls are inherently agressive or not. Any dog, has the potential to be agressive. The thing that makes pit bulls so dangerous, is when they do, the results get disastrous. The moment a pit bull bites down, it will cause a tremendous amount of damage on any human, dog, or other animal that is unfortunate to be in that situation.

Every dog has a breaking point. Even my families sweetest dog, a Cavi King Charles Spaniel. Known for being the most chillest, and friendly breed. And she is literally the most loving and sweetest dog anyone has ever met.

At my wedding, she got kind of overwhelmed with the loud music, and the amount of people later in the night, and she ended up biting one of our guests because the guest stepped on her paw. She literally, never does that, and hasn't ever done it again.

The thing is, she couldn't even break blood when that happened. And she was super small, so we scooped her up, tucked her into bed. And she was able to rest. And we all were able to laugh about it.

If she was a Pit Bull though, that guest would have been majorly injured because of the pit bulls strong lockjaw. And there wouldn't really been anything we can do about it.

It doesn't really matter if you subscribe to the belief that pit bulls are inherently agressive or not. Any dog, has the potential to be agressive. The thing that makes pit bulls so dangerous, is when they do, the results get disastrous. The moment a pit bull bites down, it will cause a tremendous amount of damage on any human, dog, or other animal that is unfortunate to be in that situation.
The lockjaw thing is a myth fyi

Considering how when there's usually a report on a fatal or mauling dog bite and the dog is revealed to be a pitbull... no. Here's a study by a pediatric plastic surgeon on child dog bite victims, with pit bulls implicated in half of the case studies. He loves dogs but does not generally recommend pitbulls to be in the same house as young children.

This may not be the best place to argue over the topic though

I recognize that it is the owner and not the breed, and yes the pitbull ban is stupid as shit and has absolutely no basis when dogs that are trained to be vicious can be vicious, but it is admittedly hard to let go of a traumatic experience where a pitbull decided to lunge at me when I was maybe all of 8 years old walking home from school. To be fair the dog was unsupervised outdoors, the owners were running a grow-op in the neighbourhood and one of them was in and out of jail constantly, but it's still hard to separate facts from the memory of an open mouth of a pitbull snarling and bearing down on me. Truthfully it's the same reason why I'm uneasy with bull mastiffs as well.

If I trust the owner, I'll trust the pitbull, but I simply cannot bring myself to be in proximity of one otherwise.

Dale.
Pitbull_6%2C_2012.jpg

Science Versus: Pit Bulls Bad to the bone?

Timely subject here as Science versus - Gimlet Media is putting out some of the best podcasts this side of NPR - just put out an episode dispelling some of the myths of pitbulls.

Quick Summary:
More Violent than other dogs: Myth,
Smaller dogs are more violent.

Pit bulls negative tendency is that they are more apt to want to sleep in owners bed (Yes, this is seriously what the scientific study found)
However pitbulls have stronger bites thus getting bitten by a pitbull might become more of a story.

It's a real shame that they sometimes attract a certain type of owner, who wants to use them as an extension of some macho identity. I'm sure they can be lovely dogs, but I avoid that group of breeds, especially with my kids. Too many dog deaths in the UK lately.

They were bred to fight other dogs historically but can be very soft given the right upbringing. Depends on the owner. If I see one with a gang member on a small leash that looks hungry and has obvious injuries all over its body, I'm staying away from that but if it's with a family and jumping around happy, those are two completely different types of dogs.

I live in a country where they're banned (lots of Caribbean nations do this) and frankly they should be banned everywhere.

Exactly how many more children have to be mauled or killed before a ban makes sense? What's the acceptable number annually?

The arguments that some are sweet-natured or that because some people can handle them / train them then anyone should be able to have one is straight from the NRA / gun rights discourse imo. They are too powerful and too dangerous to be wandering around with idiots as owners, and some owners will invariably be idiots. Fuck 'em.

I live in a country where they're banned (lots of Caribbean nations do this) and frankly they should be banned everywhere.

Exactly how many more children have to be mauled or killed before a ban makes sense? What's the acceptable number annually?

The arguments that some are sweet-natured or that because some people can handle them / train them then anyone should be able to have one is straight from the NRA / gun rights discourse imo. They are too powerful and too dangerous to be wandering around with idiots as owners, and some owners will invariably be idiots. Fuck 'em.
That they thing too. They've a very popular dog breed so a lot of the irresponsible dog owners are gonna have them just as a matter of odds. And that not including the people who get/breed them for the sake of having scary dogs.

The lockjaw thing is a myth fyi
Not really.

Now, the fact that they have certain shape of skull that locks their jaw? Of course. Myth.

Now, does a pit bull have absolutely unbelievable strength, and are ridiculously powerful that a bite can be fatal or require surgery? Yes. This is because of the shape of their mouth has far more surface area than say, a German shepherd, which have elongated snouts. And with about the same amount of strength too.

Again. I am not really making an argument that they are more agressive than other dogs, I just want to make that clear. But pit bulls do far more damage than other dog breeds when they do, and that is proven fact.

love them.

a neighbor of mine had a brown pitbull named Luna and she was THE sweetest. she unfortunately had her life cut very short but she was a treasure while she was here.

i know that's not the case with every pitbull but I've only ever had good interactions with them.

Last edited:
They can be very sweet, but I would not get one. My friend had one and she excitedly jumped on me as a greeting and she knocked the wind out of me. I don't want a dog that could knock me over.

Also, I remember talking with a woman in college who had a pit bull, and she said her pit bull got excited on a walk and sprinted away, causing her to slam her head into a tree.

Tf? An dog is completely different from a gun. One is a domesticated animal, the other is a weapon built to kill. Absolutely ridiculous.

Let me put it this way. I used to have 10 chihuahuas. They were a LOT more violent than any pitbull I have seen.

I'm a delivery guy and I've been attacked by several though thankfully gotten away from getting bit. I have coworkers who were mauled by them though. People in the countryside just leave them outside untrained and unattended with no fence, leash or anything. I've been attacked by plenty of dogs though and actually bit by some other breed last week so just in general I strongly dislike dogs, would never have a dog and the amount of people I believe have actually trained their dogs is possibly like 1%.

Tf? An dog is completely different from a gun. One is a domesticated animal, the other is a weapon built to kill. Absolutely ridiculous.

Let me put it this way. I used to have 10 chihuahuas. They were a LOT more violent than any pitbull I have seen.
A dog also has its own agency so it is less predictable than a weapon. I don't think we should assign violence levels to certain dog breeds, but something as small as a chihuahua isn't going to maul someone to death. Meanwhile some pitbull owners breed and train them specifically as weapons because they can kill.

Back
Top Bottom