• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Do you care if the Switch 2 doesn't use OLED?

Do you care if the Switch 2 uses OLED or not?

• I care

Votes: 69 26.7%
  • I don't care at all

Votes: 189 73.3%

• Total voters
Do I care if the Switch 2 doesn't get an OLED screen?
Nope.

I bought mine launch, so I had the LCD for quite some time. Didn't bother me. I only invested in the OLED model because of the Zelda theme

It'd be a bit of a disappointment, but not enough to put me off buying. A large, quality, 1080p LCD could still result in a great experience.

Other factors - like backwards compatibility, poor battery life, the launch price for hardware being high, the potential for widescale price rises for software - are more important to me and if enough of those factors are problematic, then they'd be more off putting for me personally.

I do care about a good OLED screen, but I do not really care if the Switch's successor has one or not.
Sooner or later there'll be an OLED version anyway, I guess.

A little. It's obviously a bit disappointing but I'd rather they save money on some component so the innards are as good as they can be. If it's a good LCD screen I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

I'm ok with a 8 inch 1080p LCD screen. We can get bigger storage at 256GB or 512GB. If go with OLED screen maybe storage around 128GB only, 2x from Switch OLED 64GB

I do because it did feel like a substantial upgrade and made me play more in portable mode, but as I said in the other thread, I rather max other things such as ram or storage and then do a future upgrade with an OLED screen. So Iā€™m cool with it.

Can't care. The OLED screen is obviously better, but I already found LCD in the base model nice too, so to me it's "thing i like vs. thing i like too but not enough that i 100% need it"

No. Never bought the Swoled to begin with. It wouldā€™ve been cool but if it made it more expensive I wouldā€™ve been annoyed

I wouldn't care at all - if anything I think OLED screens are a bit overrated. Definitely wouldn't go out of my way to pay extra for one if given the option.
Although I share the sentiment, to an extent, that the OLED screen is a tad overrated, I do have to concur with the notion that the Nintendo Switch - OLED Model is the best handheld system of all time.

Honestly, yeah. I will probably end up getting it regardless if it releases without an OLED screen but it feels like a tremendous step backwards. Playing the OLED portably was a huge jump to me compared to the og launch switch.

The quality of a screen is absolutely not only relative to whether it's OLED or LCD.
People shouldn't worry about that, like at all, and will probably forget about it as soon as the console is revealed.

Never bought the OLED model and Iā€™m mostly playing on the TV so it doesnā€™t impact me much.

Itā€™s far more important that they keep costs down for the initial launch and have a good slate of titles for the first year.

That said, thereā€™s certainly a case to be made for waiting 2-3 years post launch for an OLED model which will almost certainly happen due to its popularity.

Last edited:
I do want a better screen for portable play, but the games are the most important thing in the end. As long as Switch 2 has games I want to play I'm not waiting.

It would definitely be a step down after the OLED model of the original Switch, but it wouldn't stop me from purchasing.

It really won't necessarily be a step down, especially when the current Switch OLED's screen quality is generally overrated.
And Nintendo's choice to make Vivid/inaccurate colors the default mode surely didn't help imo

I got the Switch at launch back in 2017, and I am a docked player; I may have played it portable maybe two or three times at most in the last seven years, and it will be the same for Switch 2, so I could care less about OLED.

I am curious to see how many people on Fami care if the rumour is true that the Switch 2 won't use OLED (at launch at least)?
no, i have far more concern/worries for Nintendo next console, then a fancy display, i can survive without a OLED display on Switch sucessor, but no backward compatibly that a issue i would not accept if theres no backward compatibly(both digital and physical)

I don't really care, and if it allows them to lower the price or inject the money into hardware that will make the console more powerful, I'll go down the production line myself and replace the Oled screens with LCDs.

Yes, I would care. Iā€™ve been playing my Switch in handheld mode 100% of the time in the past year, and every time I turn it on, I get a little bit of joy from that screen.

Eh, as someone who pretty much only plays in docked mode on an oled tv, and is still rocking a 2017 launch switch, it doesnā€™t really affect me

Wish there were a poll option for "medium care" - I am going to buy the new system regardless, but I have enjoyed the screen of my Switch OLED a lot. I'll probably upgrade when the Switch 2 OLED comes out and will give my OG Switch 2 to my husband. The perks of married life!

The game graphics are still going to look better probably, right? With DLSS or whatever, maybe the screen won't be as sharp and vibrant but the games themselves will look pretty good and won't stutter as much on the system.

I care, but some of the loose talk make it sound like it won't be as huge a loss.

1080p, 8 inch display with HDR on a higher quality LCD should be more than fine. And then they'll probably come out with another LED upgrade of that model some 2 years or so down the line, anyway.

I would greatly prefer an OLED screen, but I guess it's not a dealbreaker. It would definitely feel like a frustrating step backwards, though

I mean it would be better if it had one and Iā€™m not going to buy the eventual version that has it.

I don't. Even now having a Switch OLED, I don't have any issues also using my original LCD Steam Deck.

I never play my Switch out of dock. I would have appreciated playing it in handheld more so when I was younger and the only TV in the home was being split between my family of five. My generation had the GBA SP though so it was fine.

I cant really comment on that until I see how a Switch 2 LCD would potentially look. There's really good non-oled screens out there.

OLED on Switch was an absolute gamechanger compared to the OG screen (which was quite decent still) - but if it's somewhat close to the current OLED display I'm good.

I only play docked when there is no handheld mode, like with Ring Fit Adventure or WarioWare Move It and I'm not willing to go back to an LCD screen. If there isn't at least an optional OLED model of the new Switch at launch I'm simply not upgrading until there is one such model. I've got more than enough games I still need to play on Switch anyway.

I can't vote "I don't care at all" because I do love an OLED screen. The first time I saw a game on Vita was mesmerising. But considering I play docked 95%+ of the time, it'll be a fleeting annoyance that's quickly forgotten.

Put it this way - if I didn't care enough to upgrde from my launch-day Switch, it can't matter that much to me.

I use the dock the most so no.

Like others have said before me, I do wish they offered an OLED upgrade at launch. We all know they're going to release an OLED model a few years after launch anyway.

Not really. And even if I care, like some people in Hardware thread have said, modern LCD could have a chance to be better than some cheap OLED back in 2021 (or even before that since they have to planned it earlier than when they released it).

Last edited:
this doesn't really feel like a binary question. All other things being equal? I'd rather have OLED. But if LCD means we get more RAM? Or VRR? Or HDR? Then it gets tricky.

I do not care.

Being honest, in the second day of my OLED I no longer noticed the difference.

And in a business perspective, it makes sense to launch the cheapest version possible.

Back
Top Bottom