• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Serious Do you believe the video game industry is heading towards another crash?

Do you think the video game industry is currently heading towards a crash?

• Total voters

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
So, I'll admit this topic has been on my mind for a while, but I've held off on posting it for a few reasons. I will always root for the industry to succeed; I love video games and feel happy that they've really come into their own as a dominant force in the world of entertainment. Having said that... can things keep going as they are now? Is the Industry sustainable, or will something have to give sooner or later? And if something does have to give, will publishers be willing and able to adjust?

As a disclaimer, I am well aware that the COVID-19 pandemic has been a rough time for video game development and has been very disruptive towards schedules. We've seen games have cycles for development extended by years that otherwise wouldn't have been. It is definitely something to keep in mind as I make some of these points.

Part 1: The Iron Triangle

Having said that, as expectations have increased for modern video games, game development has become increasingly resource and time intensive. Some of you may be familiar with a concept known as the Iron Triangle, or the Triple Constraint Triangle, a tool for project management that looks like this:

1*Su1bnrGz2WdTChT87HBhgA.png

The idea behind this diagram is that projects have three components that ultimately determine the quality of the product: Scope, Cost, and Time. If you reduce any of these components, it must be made up for by one of the others, or else the quality of the product drops. If you shorten the project's schedule, you must either increase the resources spent on it, reduce the scope of its features, or sacrifice QA and other quality measures. Reducing budget is a similar idea. Scope is perhaps the most important to manage, and can also be the most difficult. Scope Creep is a term used for when a project subtly increases in features as it is being executed, which will inflate the cost and schedule. In the world of video games, this is typically the reason for delays. One of the hardest parts of managing a project is limiting Scrope Creep. However, the AAA world of Video Game development is an arms race to outdo your competition. To have more features than ever before, larger worlds, more lines of dialogue, and of course, better graphics. The temptation to not limit the scope of your project seems almost antithetical to the idea of a world of video game marketing driven entirely by hype.

A good example of how this works is Call of Duty. Call of Duty is an annual game that is expected to have top of the line visuals and features. Time is the ironclad constraint. Because of this, Activision has had to pull resources away from many of their development studios to support Call of Duty. This is an opportunity cost for whatever else they have produced with those resources, but shipping the game on time is just that important. And of course, constraints on time and scope potentially take a toll on Quality. This isn't to say the games are buggy but Call of Duty is famously unoptimized for the platforms it is played on, taking massive amounts of memory to install, and often needing many patches. Another example in a similar vein we could look at is Pokémon, which is similarly time constrained (perhaps more so due to the media empire of anime, trading cards, and merchandise the games anchor). Pokémon's massive scope and tight schedule mean the games are often not on par even with other Nintendo series in terms of visuals or animation quality.

So why bring this up now? Well, you may have noticed that the Xbox brand has been having a very rough last 12 months, which is what got me thinking about all of this initially. You may recall that last E3 (RIP) Xbox had a showcase for many games that would all debut within the next year... and then failed to deliver. The game that we did get in that window, Redfall, was by all accounts an unfinished game. They've delayed Starfield until later this year because it is a game that absolutely cannot afford to let fail. These last 12 months have been absolutely brutal for Xbox, and there's a perception that the only way they can come back is to really impress with their upcoming showcase and the games it will feature. Schedule and quality are massively important for keeping mindshare in the gaming public, and Microsoft is now in a position where they need to recover from their prior shortcomings.

Part 2: Running out of GAAS

But this sort of feels like... foreshadowing? Xbox has tried to embrace the idea of it being an online multiplayer focused console and brand, and many of their flagship games (Halo: Infinite, Forza, Sea of Thieves, even Minecraft) reflect this. It's what they see as their value proposition. And that's certainly not a bad thing. And that is not to say they don't have a robust focus on single player games coming up. But something else has recently taken over the idea of multiplayer in the world of gaming. Something... bigger.

thumbnail-cinematic-1920x1080-fe7e748660c2.jpg

Ever since the explosion of the Battle Royale genre and other multiplayer hits, the industry has been in a gold rush to create the next big GAAS hit. If you have been paying attention to how this has worked out for some publishers... it often hasn't been great. Square Enix has had multiple attempts to try to leverage the Final Fantasy brand and to be fair, their MMO is doing amazingly well, but other offerings like Chocobo Racing, or the Final Fantasy 7 Battle Royale have been critically panned or outright canceled. Then they had the Avengers game, which bafflingly seemed to develop a narrative heavy introduction before giving way to a mission based, Destiny-like structure.

mar.0.png

Remember them?​

Well, that's not exactly fair, it's not like anyone else is going to try to make a mission-based superhero multiplayer game heavily supported by microtransactions, or season passes with fairly uninteresting gameplay that has had a rather tepid reception and seen delays and has otherwise wasted the resources of an acclaimed developer and...

-1598143030483.jpg

Oh... right...
And do we even talk about what is going on with Ubisoft? Like, exactly how many free to play games, or games with a significant amount of microtransaction supported multiplayer, have they announced in the last 5 years or so? Heck even before that? Does ANYONE remember Skull & Crossbones, the game that was supposed to come out before Sea of Thieves? Because it's supposedly still coming! And that's not even getting into all of the other issues Ubisoft has had with management, harassment, etc. There are legitimately valid reasons to be concerned for the future of the company.

And I can see why GAAS is so appealing. We've seen just how much money Fortnite has made, as well as Apex Legends and the very few others who actually reach that promised land of profitability. But it also exposed the underlying concern that a lot of developers have. That traditionally published games without a long tail of revenue earning potential are not seen as sustainable.

At least none of these companies would do something ill-advised like bank heavily on NFT integration into their future gaming projects in the hopes of some quick easy cash flow, right?

Right?

Part 3: Let's talk about Sony

So, I've been pretty critical of Xbox so far, and by comparison, Sony has been having an INCREDIBLE last year. The PS5 is seeing huge momentum, and major releases like God of War Ragnarök, Horizon Forbidden West, and The Last of Us Part 2 (and Part 1) have shown a commitment to high quality single player games. But... will it last? I'm not trying to be unnecessarily pessimistic; I think it's generally unwise to bet against Sony, but after Spider-Man 2 releases this year, we really don't know what's on their road map. With the news of the Last of Us Factions being delayed and possibly scaled back, is it possible that, with Xbox potentially poised to come clawing back with Starfield and other announcements, and the relatively muted reception to their most recent PlayStation showcase, the clean runway they've enjoyed for the last year might suddenly become a bit rougher? Of course, they can lean heavily on the partnerships they've secured with third parties (Street Fighter IV, Final Fantasy XVI), and they are still in a much healthier place than Microsoft at the moment.

But let's come back to Factions being delayed and scaled back. It's pretty obvious that Sony ALSO has a vested interest in GAAS and would very much like to be the home of that next big hit. This is of course the very reason they bought Bungie, and we've seen from their most recent financial report that they see live service games as a very important part of their future financial picture.

Current momentum will do a lot to keep Sony successful. But they are not immune to the Iron Triangle or the allure of striking gold, and their business relies on keeping ahead of Microsoft in the video game arms race, and Microsoft is becoming increasingly committed to gaming. The Xbox might not even be Sony's biggest worry. Game Pass, if it takes off, is a direct threat to Sony's premium release strategy, and it is growing more than ever in the PC space. There is a reason why Sony is fighting hard to try to make sure the Activision-Blizzard-King acquisition does not go through.

Part 3.5: What about Nintendo?

Also, where does Nintendo stand in all of this? While Nintendo has famously pursued a Blue Ocean strategy and largely avoided competing directly with Sony and Microsoft on their own terms, Nintendo is certainly a AAA developer and is bound by the same concerns I've outlined above. Tears of the Kingdom is a monster hit, but one that took 6 years of development. I am skeptical we see many more flagship EPD series (3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc) this generation. But they have a few factors working in their favor, most notably the absurd popularity of their IP, and traditional focus away from realistic graphics. I think Nintendo is going to face challenges like everyone else, but having somewhat side stepped the arena everyone else is competing in, I do think they are more insulated than others about a looming threat.

Final Thoughts

I do honestly think we are heading towards at least some form of reckoning in the AAA space of game development in the near future. Games are taking longer to develop, with larger budgets, to push an ever-increasing measure of quality, all while also trying to produce the next big thing to completely take over the market. And as we receive, fewer, larger releases over time, the mid-tier AA industry continues to dry up as well. Heck, part of the reason I'm somewhat more optimistic on Nintendo is because they are still a home to plenty of smaller Japanese developers who don't compete in the AAA space. Now, who can tell what form a crash would take. We aren't seeing a total market collapse like in 1983, but could we see more publishers go under? Could Ubisoft die in the next 10 years? Could publishers continue to consolidate to survive? Could increased demand on developers create striking conditions like we are seeing with the Writer's Guild right now? I don't have the answers, but I do think that something's gotta give eventually.

I don't think we'll see a crash in the same way it happened in the 80's, what I think is more likely is we see a repeat of what happened in the mid 00's when gaming went hd. A lot of storied studios went out of business because the cost/difficulty of hd development exceeded everyone's expectations and one bomb tanked a company. I only really see this crash impacting the AAA studios or the AA studios trying to pretend their AAA.

Not that I think an 80's crash can happen again, but in theory Sony and Microsoft are big enough with things outside of gaming that they can weather it. Nintendo is obviously much more vulnerable, but I feel like as long as they don't do anything dumb like the wiiu, the power of Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda will ensure their portable gaming devices are also likely crash proof.

I think Nintendo and most Japanese publishers are doing pretty well. Capcom in particular is just crushing it. Many indies are thriving as well.

What gives me pause is almost entirely western AAA games. This isn’t sustainable.

Nah it typically course corrects these days.

A lot of these GaaS games in development are being made alongside traditional single player experiences as opposed to replacing them. Some of them will fail but all 3 of the big 3 have had tremendous successes in their own ways despite some of their missteps.

No.

And THE 'crash' was pretty much an US thing, videogames were fine elsewhere.

I am going to lean towards no. Most third parties seem to be doing fine like EA and Capcom. Only Ubisoft is becoming a concern for me as they seem to consistently chase the trend golden goose and have been coming up short...which starts to have repercussions.

In the absolute worst case scenario, I just see even more remakes in the future that are harder to mess up and first party studios making more exclusive/marketing/gamepass deals to shore up their lack of output due to develop time. A prime example would be the rumor that Persona 3 remake coming to gamepass.

I feel like 2023 had alot of games and while anecdotal I have consistently seen comments on the internet about how people have too many games on thier 2023 wishlist and/or backlog already. I don't think 2024 will have a sudden lull.

Great OP WestEgg! When looking at the AAA space specifically, I do think we are going to see further contracting unless the mindset behind these games of always having the best graphics changes. These games are taking longer to make because they keep aiming so high and publishers putting all of their eggs in less baskets is a problem. Not every developer is at Naughty Dog’s level with pushing the envelope on graphics and that’s known to be at huge human cost with crunch and burnout.

The chase for GAAS is sort of destined to fail for a lot of people if only because there is only so much free time people have. I do think there is room for one or two more big games in that space, but who knows which game will be the one.

Will there be a crash per se? I don’t think so, but there’s going to be a lot of difficulty and heartbreak along the way.

I am going to lean towards no. Most third parties seem to be doing fine like EA and Capcom. Only Ubisoft is becoming a concern for me as they seem to consistently chase the trend golden goose and have been coming up short...which starts to have repercussions.
yeah I was thinking the other day Ubisoft seem to be on the verge of total collapse, and unless someone buys them for some reason, I'm 100% expecting to go under

I think it’ll be fine

But personally, I’ve been longing for the AAA industry to have an intervention on the constant chase to photorealism. Just personally, FOR ME, I’d rather have quality games made faster and with less crunch and less post release Twitter apologies if it means sacrificing visual fidelity and the power race. In a heartbeat.

I kinda don’t care how much this makes me sound like a fanboy, but it’s crazy playing something as inventive as TOTK - a fully complete game, focused on innovation in game design and managing to wow people on 7 year old hardware - and kind of watching the entire rest of the industry struggle with next gen around it in the past couple weeks. 3 apology letters for big games launching in a rough state in the past month, Sony still barely showing any first party games 2.5 years into next gen, the general homogenization of the AAA industry. The difference is staggering to me.

It’s nothing to spell doom for the entire industry, but diminishing returns are VERY much a thing.

As mentioned before notions of the gaming industry crashing was largely a U.S.-centric phenomenon and gaming is infinitely more popular than it was four decades ago. Studios will go bankrupt and more acquisitions will occur but gaming won’t “end” or anything.

Western AAA development is in dire straits for a lot of studios.

Keyword, Western. This is specifically a problem with the Western video game industry. Japanese AAAs (Nintendo, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, Bamco, etc) are doing fine. There truly is fundamental difference in design philosophy that's resulting in the Western industry putting out shitty games.

Western AAA development is in dire straits for a lot of studios.

Keyword, Western. This is specifically a problem with the Western video game industry. Japanese AAAs (Nintendo, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, Bamco, etc) are doing fine. There truly is fundamental difference in design philosophy that's resulting in the Western industry putting out shitty games.

Retaining staff is a huge part as well. Japanese publishers don't go through the huge layoffs and studio shutdowns that western ones do.

Short answer:

The AAA part of the industry, yes.

Overall? No.
Right here. Honestly, I see this as the perfect time for those AA games to make the comeback. Just need the big publishers to get onboard. Really this is more of an RPG niche right now with NIS/XSeed/SE (about the only big player that has these types of games). The problem is I think the games media is so infatuated with tech and graphics for the PS5/XSX that the publicity for something more manageable to develop isn’t there.

My other thought is that as more studios unionize and work hours/schedules/overtime pay/compensation get sorted out for the better in terms of quality of life, AAA development will have to shift because the studios won’t be able to force untenable labor practices on their workforce anymore. This will necessitate a shift mainly for profitability as I don’t think a studio that might have a couple games a generation is going to be able to survive when the added labor cost and time schedule is factored in (this is a good thing though because quality of employees lives and quality of games at launch should go up). I welcome the AA resurgence.

None of the options you provided. There won't be a crash as the industry is simply too big and established. However, some studios will have to come to terms with the fact that they can't just keep throwing more money and people at bigger games with cutting-edge graphics and expect even bigger returns.

Short answer:

The AAA part of the industry, yes.

Overall? No.

yeah budgets and dev times can't just keep increasing indefinitely, there's a limit there at some point and some studios probably won't be able to take the hit of reaching those limits gracefully

that's only a small fraction of the games coming out though

I think we will continue to see studios shutter, while the remaining ones take longer and longer to put out more and more complex games. But I don't consider that a crash. Video game sales are concentrating into fewer releases, but those that succeed are reaching higher numbers than ever before. The buyer side won't collapse

Nah, I could see a ton of unemployed devs though in the near future, replaced by AI generation in order to cut costs.
The Industry will perpetuate itself well enough.

Nope.

I do think the industry might rethink the AAA strategy if too many releases aren’t reaching their sales targets.

Well, that’s my personal hope. Just have a few series which have a big budget and other releases with a smaller budget, but you can fill up your release list with.

Much of the AAA industry is on an unsustainable path that's near its breaking point. We're in for some high profile failures if nothing changes.

I think we're in for choppy times in that soon only the richest of the rich will be able to afford to create the highly polished, blockbuster, graphical showcases that have driven engagement and growth in this industry since...well the turn of the century really. These games have not only got significantly more expensive, but much harder to make too. There's a war of attrition happening between the needs of the businesses and the needs of development, and at the moment business needs are winning out. The fact that even the huge third parties like EA and Acti-Blizz are struggling with their game development is a worrying sign.

The deal with the devil we as consumers of big budget video games have to make is accept that either the scale and scope of this industry has to be reduced to make things affordable, or we have to accept that soon these games will likely only be coming from a select group of super companies with deep pockets who get up to shady things. I think there's hope though that in this new world a thriving ecosystem of smaller titles could emerge, an Indie Scene + as it were, from which new franchises rise to prominence.

I know Nintendo are a special case but companies could do a lot worse then see how they're handling it. They get a lot of stick for working on low powered hardware, even on this forum, but it has allowed them the flexibility to release a lot of 'smaller' titles that are less cost intensive and turn a profit easier, while also working on a technical masterpiece in the form of TOTK. I think game publishers could do worse then following their example and diversifying their output, and not just chasing high end blockbusters or GAAS.

No.

And THE 'crash' was pretty much an US thing, videogames were fine elsewhere.

As mentioned before notions of the gaming industry crashing was largely a U.S.-centric phenomenon and gaming is infinitely more popular than it was four decades ago. Studios will go bankrupt and more acquisitions will occur but gaming won’t “end” or anything.
I know the 1983 video game industry crash was primarily in the North America. However, being the largest consumer market in the world, especially in the 80s, means that this had a massive impact on the future of the global industry that cannot be dismissed as only being relevant to North America. Resetting the board is what allowed Nintendo to gain their foothold internationally, and the rest of the console industry followed from there, and this of course had the knock-on effect on publishers around the world's strategies towards PC development and arcade. There's a reason why prominent European PC developers like Rare and Psygnosis shifted strategies towards the console market. There's a reason why Nintendo was famously conservative in their content and release strategy, even to this day.

When I say "Crash" I am not talking about a total collapse of the video-game industry. As mentioned, the industry is too large, too diverse, and too ingrained into world culture to simply go away, it would be like saying film or the music industry was gone. But what I do mean is a notable period where AAA development becomes consistently recognized as too risky or having too low of a potential ROI that development becomes massively scaled back in a way we have not yet seen, and we see many of the major publishers, such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sega, Capcom, SE, etc., either outright collapse, consolidate, or shift focus in a big way. I agree with the assessment that the western studios are the most vulnerable, but I disagree with the assessment that Japanese studios are not susceptible to the same risks. For example, we have already seen many Japanese developers diversify away from gaming and into other ventures. Konami is the poster child of this, having basically vanished from the industry years ago, and now really only flirting with it again. Sega to an extent as well, who in financial terms are the lesser half of the Sega Sammy merger and provide a PR friendly face to a corporation that largely earns its money from gambling. These companies have something very valuable that extends beyond video games, their IP. But once the IP gains presence outside of gaming, gaming becomes a marketing tool for them rather than the primary product.

So, one of the things that's going to shape the next few years of development is consolidation of tools and streamlining of the tasks that often require the most development man hours.

If you look at Unreal, for instance, Epic are currently leading the pack when it comes to implementing new features to make hefty tasks more manageable:

• Releasing Metahuman to allow developers to create photorealistic, engine ready human characters without needing to make anything from scratch
  • Releasing a new performance capture tool that allows developers to use a smartphone to do mocap, and apply it in real time
  • Nanite applying a real time LOD system that automatically scales object complexity to the number of pixels on display

All of this is just off the top of my head. These tools all take things that a few years ago would have been hugely complex and time intensive problems for studios, and massively simplify them.

Ray tracing offers similar potential. Once ray tracing hardware is commonplace, that will allow developers to forgo having to develop complex light maps and baked lighting textures, and just let the real time lighting do all that work for them.

The issue for modern AAA gaming lies more with poor studio management. Staff retention is poor, meaning developers with experience at studios are rarely incentivised to stay and develop that experience/apply it to future games. That then means studios have to spend more time and money onboarding new staff and trying to get them both up to speed, and able to deal with new or pre existing problems.

Poor studio management also means more instances of poor preparation and planning for games. Part of the problem with games like Mass Effect Andromeda or Halo Infinite is that the developers don't know what type of game they want to make, so precious development time is spent pissing about trying to find a direction, then changing direction.

The growing requirements of AAA games will certainly put more pressure on publishers for success but there naturally reaches a boiling point where things either get too big and everyone re-evaluates their practices or less risks are taken. There wont be any major crash.

The issue for modern AAA gaming lies more with poor studio management. Staff retention is poor, meaning developers with experience at studios are rarely incentivised to stay and develop that experience/apply it to future games
Yeah, it’s unfortunate that execs don’t think it’s important to nurture talent. They’re much more content chasing those short-term paychecks.

What about the risks to low budget developers posed by AI?
That’s an entirely different discussion, one which I frankly don’t feel qualified to weigh in on

I know the 1983 video game industry crash was primarily in the North America. However, being the largest consumer market in the world, especially in the 80s, means that this had a massive impact on the future of the global industry that cannot be dismissed as only being relevant to North America. Resetting the board is what allowed Nintendo to gain their foothold internationally, and the rest of the console industry followed from there, and this of course had the knock-on effect on publishers around the world's strategies towards PC development and arcade. There's a reason why prominent European PC developers like Rare and Psygnosis shifted strategies towards the console market. There's a reason why Nintendo was famously conservative in their content and release strategy, even to this day.

When I say "Crash" I am not talking about a total collapse of the video-game industry. As mentioned, the industry is too large, too diverse, and too ingrained into world culture to simply go away, it would be like saying film or the music industry was gone. But what I do mean is a notable period where AAA development becomes consistently recognized as too risky or having too low of a potential ROI that development becomes massively scaled back in a way we have not yet seen, and we see many of the major publishers, such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sega, Capcom, SE, etc., either outright collapse, consolidate, or shift focus in a big way. I agree with the assessment that the western studios are the most vulnerable, but I disagree with the assessment that Japanese studios are not susceptible to the same risks. For example, we have already seen many Japanese developers diversify away from gaming and into other ventures. Konami is the poster child of this, having basically vanished from the industry years ago, and now really only flirting with it again. Sega to an extent as well, who in financial terms are the lesser half of the Sega Sammy merger and provide a PR friendly face to a corporation that largely earns its money from gambling. These companies have something very valuable that extends beyond video games, their IP. But once the IP gains presence outside of gaming, gaming becomes a marketing tool for them rather than the primary product.
Thanks for this. The trend of folks downplaying the 1983 crash as just a US thing is annoying - it’s like saying the 2008 housing crisis was just a US thing. The video game industry was forever reshaped in the early 80’s, not just in the NA market.

Don’t think so. Every big company has at least one IP or dev team that can consistently be counted on to bring in good money. Add in the tolerance a lot of consumers have for underperforming products, and I don’t see it bottoming out anytime soon.

We’ll see a few studios shutter their doors or make big changes, and I fully expect the GaaS craze to blow up in Sony’s face, but I don’t think the ramifications will be severe enough to classify it as a crash.

There's a lot of mistrust towards Western AAA game companies at the moment and most people I know are avoiding some of the bigger ones (biggest offenders/hated being EA and Actiblizz). It wouldn't surprise me if some of these companies got bought out/restructured/dissolved

I see a lot of studios laying off lots of staff at the moment, from smaller indies, to veteran mid-size ones, to large ones, impacted by a variety of different reasons, from poor sales of recent projects to corporate restructuring.

While the failures and challenges facing the high-budget/multinational corp chunk of the industry are more well documented and visable, it’s fair to say that everyone is under pressure. Many indie studios are one project launching to tumbleweeds away from layoffs or closing down as there’s so much competition for consumer’s time.

I think that both Sony and Microsoft were in very good positions about a year ago and made many big gambles that have put them in a bad spot (Sony's focus on Gaas, and Microsoft's focus on the Activision Blizzard deal are the big ones, as far as I can tell.)

I think they'll both ultimately survive but will go through some turbulence when they should be thriving.

Nintendo will continue to miss opportunities but exist in their own lane. My heart tells me that they will ride the Switch until the wheels fall off.

It’s an interesting discussion point, the history of videogames industry in the 1980s and how things shook out, both through that crash but also the actions of a fairly small number of people too. I think the ‘crash was a US thing’ comes from the fact that the effects on the future of the industry worldwide didn’t really hit until a decade later in Europe as the home computer scene remained in good health here, so the crash didn’t happen here, but the consequences of Nintendo/Sega building a power base in NA obviously provided the template for Europe as next in line.

Even in the early 90s, the sales charts had Commodore and the home computers still wiping the floor with Nintendo and Sega here (probably down to games being £1.99 and so pocket-money prices rather than £40) before the shift really happened here due to developers pivoting to consoles, localisation deals and also the media really shifting towards it too.

The history of games in the UK in the late 80s and early 90s and the shift to consoles following the US crash and Nintendo settling in there 5-10 years earlier is really hard to seperate from the explosion of the UK publishing scene as influential writers moved to seeing the consoles as the future too. That then had the playground scene gradually pivot towards consoles, the platform wars pivot from speccy/C64 to Nintendo/Sega, and so did the TV shows covering it. Nintendo cartoons and merchandise only took off around then too, with games arriving sometimes years after Japan if they arrived at all (many of the top 16-bit rpgs never came out here and kids were only aware of them due to writers covering the extortionate grey import scene). TimeExtension had a good piece up today on it, essentially the US crash in 1983 didn’t even start to echo in the UK until 5 years later because the industry wasn’t as joined up as it is today and the continued dominance of of home computers over older consoles like Atari and co anyway. It took growing jealousy of the import scene from the US and Japan and another few years after that to really sound the death knell for the computer games industry in favour of consoles that carried on in rude health here for the rest of the 1980s.

(As an aside, it’s probably also why UK people of a certain vintage still refer to all games as ‘computer games’ rather than ‘console games’).

Last edited:
Personally yes. I think indies and aa will continue to thrive, but these triple a games taking over 5 years to make, each one demanding a bigger and bigger return on investment, chasing trends that were popular when they began development, but wont be popular by the time they actually release. Entire franchises missing out on console generations because they cant make the game before the next generation begins. Yeah, this is not sustainable

There won't be a big worldwide crash and I think everybody knows that, but there are going to be a lot of tears in the upcoming years.

I really think that nowhere in the history of entertainment has there been a bigger disconnect between audience and producer than the current day video game industry. A concerning amount of video game producers / executives around the world are completely clueless about what makes a game appealing and what people want in their products. Even darling japanese publishers like S-E and Sega have shown a lot of vulnerability to your usual grifts like NFTs and dA NExt fORtniTe. It really seems that many of the big projects being announced today are being made to please the investors rather than to appeal to an existing group of customers.

It's also not very sustainable that some of the main pillars of the industry are founded on sweatshop development: Fortnite content updates, Rockstar games and Naughty Dog games (not as big as the other two, but still big). If workers fight back against this bullshit, who knows what will happen to the quality of those products and, therefore the interest in those. (Yes, I know that it has been proved several times that treating employees well can increase the quality of the product, however I don't think anybody is sure what will happen when you take a studio that has been reliant on excessive crunch the last 10-15 years and force it to function under ethical standards).

Also a big portion of industry's cash flow relies on making children addicted to gambling (mainly talking about Fifa / EA sports). If regulation of this starts to gain traction and people start being educated on the predatory nature of many live service games, then the industry will take a hit for sure.

No. There's gonna be high profile failures, but those have always been a part of the industry.
The indie market could easily be flooded with garbage.
The indie market is already flooded with garbage

I think the battle of rushing out the next big GaaS or pushing for the most realistic graphics is starting to take its toll on many developers. Im glad Nintendo never got caught up in the graphics war and has prioritized gameplay over graphics, it's definitely paying off now

I don’t think like, hardcore market crash is gonna happen, but I do think the never-ending drive for “the most graphics” or “that Fortnite money” is going to end miserably for all those blind enough to chase it.

Almost everyone going after Fortnite money by making GAAS is doomed. Full stop. Not much to add here but this gold rush is going to end badly for almost all involved.

The photorealism death treadmill is actually the one I’m worried about most, because you’ve got underpaid artists working 80 hour weeks painting 8K dirt textures for 4 years followed by a layoff with no severance (and in some cases, no in-game credit), all for consoles and graphics cards with ballooning costs, progressively increasing rare earth mineral requirements (if you want to depress yourself look into where those are coming from) and environmentally nightmarish power requirements. And for what, a games-as-service shooter that’s going to shut down in 6 months?

I’m not saying I don’t want games to look good but returns are diminishing as the cost to users, the environment and the work-life balance of developers and artists. It’s also causing fewer, less interesting games to come out, because with games costing so much to make they need to be as safe as possible to appeal to as many as possible, which means the developers take fewer risks.

I dunno. I feel it’s all gonna crumble eventually.

Ill say this, i bought a super pc with an rtx 4090 in it earlier this year. Guess what the most engaging game ive played all year is? Tears of the kingdom on my 6 year old hilariously low tech nintendo switch. Pure graphical prowess can only get you far. The triple a industry needs to focus on engaging and innovative gameplay hooks like nintendo does. Everything else should come second

Crash is probably the wrong word for it. I think the industry is in for a mass contraction. The preliminaries are already happening with all these mass layoffs.

This focus on graphics is only ending badly. The industry should really focus more on broadening worldwide to places where games aren't as accessible.

Absolutely not. And I would not mix the technology race (graphics and perfomance) with budget and monetization as part of the same problem. Technological progress can't be stopped, although it could and should be optimized (that's progress too). The latter is the difficult part, but at this point the industry is big enough to survive even if some of its elements dies.
AAA, AA, indie, cloud gaming, mobile gaming, VR, suscription servicies, physical media, digital... If one of those die for economic reasons, the rest will be fine in my opinion.

Absolutely not. And I would not mix the technology race (graphics and perfomance) with budget and monetization as part of the same problem. Technological progress can't be stopped, although it could and should be optimized (that's progress too). The latter is the difficult part, but at this point the industry is big enough to survive even if some of its elements dies.
AAA, AA, indie, cloud gaming, mobile gaming, VR, suscription servicies, physical media, digital... If one of those die for economic reasons, the rest will be fine in my opinion.
The industry is really lacking in the optimization part. Everytime we jump in graphics FPS goes down, and not enough devs are focusing on accessibility options, (especially good ol Ninty). Instead of manageable pipelines, mass crunch is everywhere and then excess devs get laid off after the games are done. So much inefficiency.

The indie market could easily be flooded with garbage.
I'm not very worried about that, at least not yet. There are already tons of garbage Indies, and in a similar vein, lots of shovelware that fills the eshops. But that has very little effect on actual good Indie games being discovered and rising to the top. It might make it a bit harder for good Indies to stand out among the crowd super long-term maybe if AI continues to improve to a point that it can actually make a reasonably decent game, but I feel like that's both A) A long way off and B) Assuming that there's not some heavy regulation that happens around AI going forward, which I have a hard time believing won't come up at least at some point

I’d be happy for everything based around lootboxes and gacha to close down tomorrow, I’m just glad regulators seem to be slowly waking up to selling gambling to kids through ‘free’ games and peer pressure.

The industry is really lacking in the optimization part. Everytime we jump in graphics FPS goes down, and not enough devs are focusing on accessibility options, (especially good ol Ninty). Instead of manageable pipelines, mass crunch is everywhere and then excess devs get laid off after the games are done. So much inefficiency.
I completely agree. And I know the graphical race is sometimes guilty for those terribly huge budgets, it's just that I think the problem is related to the organization of those big projects.

I see a crush in US, but not in Japan. I think Nintendo will be in a better position in the next few years.

Controlling costs is essential. And they surely know how to do it.

I see a crush in US, but not in Japan. I think Nintendo will be in a better position in the next few years.

Controlling costs is essential. And they surely know how to do it.
It comes down to Nintendo never overhiring superfluous workers and thus avoiding the high turn over rates we see from other studios. They may be smaller than the other platform holders, but they make up for it with management. And the lack of "brain-drain" this industry is absolutely infamous for.

I don’t think we will have a crash like we had years ago, I do think however that spiralling costs of development need to be addressed. If your game costs so much money that it not selling as well as you expected results in a studio closing down/Mass layoff’s then it’s not being run adequately imo. I play mostly on Switch but do own a PS5/XsX and I am happy with the games Nintendo and indies put out and they don’t seem to cost the earth all the time. Maybe devs need to start scaling back and not be so fixated on the features that drive costs up.

We are also getting too many GaaS games, people only have so many hours a week to play games no one can play everything.

Back
Top Bottom