• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Do Nintendo still own Devil's Third?

NantenJex

Rattata
Pronouns
he/him
Hi all, I have a question and I thought people here might have looked into this more thoroughly in the past. Do Nintendo own the Devil's Third IP in any way?

There are articles saying Itagaki has the rights to the IP but these are all from before Nintendo picked the game up. It did get a PC, multiplayer only, version after the Wii U release but Nintendo has allowed games they own (like Fatal Frame 4 and 5) or licensed out IP they own (like Picross and Cruis'n) to developers in the past so it could just be this situation again. I wasn't able to find anything either way, so thought I would make a thread about it.

they probably do. the multiplayer portion that went to PC was probably licensed out much like the other listed games

though DT still lives on under a new name, Rockshot

This trailer for Devil's Third Online doesn't mention Nintendo at all in the copyright info, so either Nintendo sold back their share or Nintendo only co-owned the code for the Wii U release specifically.

It looks like Valhalla always owned the "Devil's Third" trademark (the name itself) after THQ imploded, but it has since been abandoned. Probably because Valhalla doesn't really exist anymore.

This trailer for Devil's Third Online doesn't mention Nintendo at all in the copyright info, so either Nintendo sold back their share or Nintendo only co-owned the code for the Wii U release specifically.

It looks like Valhalla always owned the "Devil's Third" trademark (the name itself) after THQ imploded, but it has since been abandoned. Probably because Valhalla doesn't really exist anymore.

Yeah, that would be it then. And if they sold it back before Valhalla went under then it wouldn't even default back to them I am assuming

Rip a drum solo for Devil's Third if you can, it's cooked

KxZC3V6.gif

Tbf, since then we’ve had the Nintendo owned Fatal Frame games go multiplatform and those lack Nintendo being mentioned on other platforms, though it seems that Nintendo retains ownership. Could be a similar deal here.

That shut down too lol
Wanted: Dead is another successor to it, and since it’s a fully single-player game. you can still buy it.

regardless, it’s surprising there hasn’t been a proper re-release of Devils Third’s single player content yet. like with Wonderful 101.

Can't have a Devil's Third thread without dropping my favorite Itagaki quote: "I'm a mathematician but I'm no good at counting."

Anyway, yeah, I can't see this game getting re-released anytime soon.

Can't have a Devil's Third thread without dropping my favorite Itagaki quote: "I'm a mathematician but I'm no good at counting."

Anyway, yeah, I can't see this game getting re-released anytime soon.
Yep, just rewatched the Wha Happen on it and saw. Legendary.

Anyway, honestly I'd love to see Nintendo get Turn Me Up (who's experienced with UE3 ports on Switch) to port it directly to Switch. Get it at native 1080p docked/720p portable. Locked 30fps. Gyro aiming. Polish the fuck out of it. See if Soleil and/or Itagaki can consult on QoL improvements if possible. Remove all MTX from the multiplayer. Charge a budget price. I think it could work.

Wonderful 101 was at least a colourful, original idea with some fun mechanics, even if it never gained widespread appeal. Devil’s Third was an immediately forgettable and generic action game, I’m not surprised nobody cares enough to untangle the rights and rerelease it.

Yep, just rewatched the Wha Happen on it and saw. Legendary.

Anyway, honestly I'd love to see Nintendo get Turn Me Up (who's experienced with UE3 ports on Switch) to port it directly to Switch. Get it at native 1080p docked/720p portable. Locked 30fps. Gyro aiming. Polish the fuck out of it. See if Soleil and/or Itagaki can consult on QoL improvements if possible. Remove all MTX from the multiplayer. Charge a budget price. I think it could work.

I don't think anyone from Nintendo is going to show much interest in a rerelease of what is literally in the ten lowest metascores of games on the Wii U.

It's Kind of a testament to how much trouble Nintendo was in around the time of this game regarding the Wii U that they agreed to have their name on it

I'm friends with Itagaki-san on Facebook. He has said the odd questionable thing, but he did wish me a happy birthday once or twice.

I mean, Nintendo paid to port TMS. They clearly don't mind a good cash fire in the winter.
Difference is TMS was good and also facilitated good relations with a company that can still produce high value products.

Itagaki's brand is less than worthless. Soliel has value in a partner studio, but not for IP.

Difference is TMS was good and also facilitated good relations with a company that can still produce high value products.

Itagaki's brand is less than worthless. Soliel has value in a partner studio, but not for IP.
I mean, the same team went from TMS to Soul Hackers 2 and wider the company's been skipping Switch more and more (P3 Reload, Metaphor RF). So from that perspective I'd disagree this was a good example of fostering partnership, it may have even damaged relations given SH2.

Along these lines, Nintendo also offered to fund the W101 remaster, PG just turned them down because they wanted to selfpublish and go multiplatform. Nintendo's not afraid of backing a bomb, why not throw Soleil a bone too?

ngl, i never jumped on it but this game always looked like janky fun. especially that multiplayer.

I mean, the same team went from TMS to Soul Hackers 2 and wider the company's been skipping Switch more and more (P3 Reload, Metaphor RF). So from that perspective I'd disagree this was a good example of fostering partnership, it may have even damaged relations given SH2.

Along these lines, Nintendo also offered to fund the W101 remaster, PG just turned them down because they wanted to selfpublish and go multiplatform. Nintendo's not afraid of backing a bomb, why not throw Soleil a bone too?

Tokyo mirage sessions was critically successful even if not a commerical heavyweight. Devils third is one of the worst reviewed games in Nintendo history, and on top of that, would have been lucky to have sold a tenth of what TMS did.

Atlus have also released plenty of games on Switch, and in fact, have more console exclusives on switch than games since 2018 when they finally moved on from the 3DS that aren't on switch. That list being TMS#FE Encore, Etrian Odyssey Collection and SMTV, vs the 2 games that you mentioned which are the only two games out right now that aren't on Switch. And there's a very good chance that P3 Reload/Metaphor end up with Switch (2) ports some time down the line.

Last edited:

That presumes Soleil wants anything to do with a game that floundered on Wii U and a PC release of the multiplayer that tanked. The game's ship has sailed and without Itagaki around, the studio probably just wants to move on from something that was a messy, protracted development from the very start.

Sometimes, devs just want to wash their hands of a project and leave it at that.

Wonderful 101 is a great game. Devil's Third is considered one of the worst ever.
W101 also doesn’t have a great reputation overall, which is why it did so poorly on rerelease. Fans of the genre seem to like Wanted Dead so I think Devil’s Third could have some cult success like W101 with a re-release.

because Devil's Third isn't that liked by anyone. it wasn't even a critical success, seemingly worse commercial success than either TMS and W101, had mild controversy with publishing duties in NA that threatened to derail relations, and was headed by someone who has questionable pull and isn't affiliated with the development staff. there's pretty much no value here

and despite missing those games from atlus, it still facilitated better relations with the million seller SMT5 and Persona 5R, in addition to ports of the old versions of Persona 3 and 4.

W101 also doesn’t have a great reputation overall, which is why it did so poorly on rerelease. Fans of the genre seem to like Wanted Dead so I think Devil’s Third could have some cult success like W101 with a re-release.
W101 has a metacritic score above 70%, with many video game publications ranking it at 9/10. Devil's Third has a 43% metacritic score, with those same publications ranking it 3-to-3.5/10.

Back
Top Bottom