• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Disney Sues Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, Alleges Political Effort to Hurt its Business

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him

Walt Disney Co. sued Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Wednesday, alleging the Republican governor has waged a “relentless campaign to weaponize government power” against the company amid a protracted fight over a controversial classroom bill.

The federal lawsuit alleges that DeSantis “orchestrated at every step” a campaign to punish Disney that now threatens the company’s business.

“The government action was patently retaliatory, patently anti-business, and patently unconstitutional,” Disney alleged in the civil complaint in U.S. District Court in northern Florida.

Suit was apparently filed 5 minutes after DeSantis dissolved the agreement around Reedy Creek. They were prepared.

monkey.jpg

Bro, this is legit suicide for DeSantis. They're almost certainly doomed, getting sued by a titan of a company such as Disney is essentially a death sentence 😂

Disney will be there long after DeSantis is gone. All they have to do is continue to make him look foolish, which they have, and his political career is over.

Oh.

Oh my.

Literally the same day DeSantis and friends tried to undo the Reedy Creek changes the company made before the takeover, Disney was ready with the lawsuit. Took them five minutes! Disney was ready for war and was waiting for DeSantis to take the first shot.

Not to cheer on the multi-billion dollar company here, but I want the fascist to lose hard.

Oh.

Oh my.

Literally the same day DeSantis and friends tried to undo the Reedy Creek changes the company made before the takeover, Disney was ready with the lawsuit. Took them five minutes! Disney was ready for war and was waiting for DeSantis to take the first shot.

Not to cheer on the multi-billion dollar company here, but I want the fascist to lose hard.
For as much as the term gets abused, DeSantis very explicitly violated Disney’s First Amendment rights, and Disney is objectively in the right here. There’s nothing wrong with cheering them on here.

Oh.

Oh my.

nah, I think this is sort of one of the few times where cheering for the multi-billion dollar company is the morally right choice :v

Meatball Ron tried taking on one of the biggest corporations in the world for saying they support gay people. Fuck around and find out.

both sides are bad
Lol no. DeSantis is trying to commit genocide on the LGBTQ community. It's gotten to the point where there's a travel advisory warning trans people to not come to my state. DeSantis can go to hell, I hope Disney sues him into oblivion.

Loving the energy this week. Allowing myself to hope that they ruin him, as a treat.
I'd say he's already destroyed. Trump will destroy him in the presidential primary with whatever nickname he comes up for him, and he's term limited as the governor, so once his term is up... where does he go? Both FL senators are way more popular than DeSantis.

Let me put it this way. If DeSantis pulls this shit with Disney and wins, then he'll do it to any other business that refuses to put up with his shit. No other business in Florida has the money and resources that Disney does. That terrifies me. He could get away with anything.

Everyone should be on Disney's side here.

First he got his ass handed to him by Donald, now Mickey's next in line. Good ol' greasy-fingered Ron ain't looking too hot at the moment.

Let me put it this way. If DeSantis pulls this shit with Disney and wins, then he'll do it to any other business that refuses to put up with his shit. No other business in Florida has the money and resources that Disney does. That terrifies me. He could get away with anything.

Everyone should be on Disney's side here.
Big if tho.

If I'm not mistaken, Disney has some of the best lawyers to exist on the planet.

This battle was already lost for him as soon as he picked a fight with them. Fighting Disney is automatic death trap.

These new Republicans are a special kind of dumb. Disney is whatever, I just hope they make DeSantis and his goons eat shit.

I will forgive Disney for many of their current and former indiscretions if they meticulously litigate everyone I hate to death.

both sides are bad
I’m wary of Disney being able to govern their own district in the first place, but DeSantis only went after that when Disney stood up for LGBT rights. The motivation behind Desantis’ actions here are totally wrong. Besides, don’t the Villages have a similar deal? Desantis isn’t going after them.

lmao good luck fighting the mouse, you piece of shit

The good thing about fascists is that they're stupid most of the time and get easily derailed by their own power fantasies.

I’m wary of Disney being able to govern their own district in the first place, but DeSantis only went after that when Disney stood up for LGBT rights. The motivation behind Desantis’ actions here are totally wrong. Besides, don’t the Villages have a similar deal? Desantis isn’t going after them.
Yeah one of the big things I noticed in this whole thing is DeSantis tries to frame his efforts as "standing up to all these businesses that are taking advantage of us" but then I think he waived a lot of the stuff he enacted where the other parks are concerned, and is just going after Disney. And only after they spoke up about the anti-LGBT legislation. It's blatant retaliation for simply speaking up against him. Which is the sort of stuff our previous president would do.

And I hope Disney fuckin ruins him.

The whole Disney self governance thing in Florida is actually an interesting case study. They have their own police and fire department. They can do any road construction on their property without waiting for government permits or labor. From what I've read, the only thing that they still needed to get outside approval/inspection on was the elevators.

At the end of the day, Disney was successful because it allowed them to maintain virtually everything on their property without government interference. It worked because they basically pumped millions and millions every year. For all the shit that Disney has received about their parks (especially in recent years under Chapek), no on can argue that they slack in maintaining their parks and property down to every detail. If there was incident after incident every year of Disney screwing up and people dying constantly at the parks, then there would have been government intervention for different reasons a long time ago.

So, as a hypothetical from a non-US citizen:

If Disney wins this, even through all instances up to SCOTUS (provided DeSantis takes it there), could this be precedence for any LGBTQ+ friendly company to tell a hateful government to fuck off?

So, as a hypothetical from a non-US citizen:

If Disney wins this, even through all instances up to SCOTUS (provided DeSantis takes it there), could this be precedence for any LGBTQ+ friendly company to tell a hateful government to fuck off?
We should technically already have precedence for any LGBTQ+ friendly company to do that, it's called the First Amendment and it's part of the foundation of the government. What DeSantis is doing is actually against the First Amendment, as he's a government entity blatantly punishing a private entity for the content of their speech. That's the new precedent being set here, and why this whole thing is such a big deal.

I mean the real First Amendment, not the way Trumpers have hijacked it to mean people can be hateful and destructive without being stood up to

Back
Top Bottom