• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Disney Illusion Island, new co-op platformer, announced for Nintendo Switch (UPDATE: new free 'Mystery in Monoth' update announced, see threadmarks)

Yep. Played it back when it released. It’s a very simple Metroidvania with some cool boss fights, good cutscenes, and genuinely funny humor. I enjoyed my time with it.

Did anyone end up playing this one?
I did. I ended up dropping it after the first few hours. I was playing solo, so that might have affected my experience. Personally, I felt the world was too big and/or the characters moved too slowly, and I found myself getting bored. I wanted a snappier experience more densely filled with meaningful upgrades. I don't think it's a bad game, and it seemed like the developers achieved their vision. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I'd be open to retrying it in co-op, especially with someone who is less familiar with Metroidvanias or a big Mickey fan.

It is a bit too simple, but that was the aim I think. Intro to metroidvanias right?I think it is one of the smartest exclusives Nintendo secured alongside Fae Farm for 2023 on the console side.

Not tried the new update yet.

There have been a few updates on this game since this thread was last active.

1. The Keeper Up update released on 12/13/23 as announced. Patch notes are available.

2. A documentary on the game was released by DualShockers on 5/28/24.

3. A second, narrative-focused update called "Mystery in Monoth" has been announced. It's teased in the below post and detailed starting at 32:44 in the documentary.

It seems like this DLC was started in earnest right as the game was wrapping up in June 2023 which explains the timing, but I'm still surprised that this game continues to get updates. I wonder how it has sold and if Disney has any other plans for the title. I'm unsure if this game could/would be ported to other platforms or if Nintendo has exclusivity. Between Epic Mickey: Refurbished this year and this game last year, it appears Disney is leaning into Mickey as a gaming character more heavily.

Back
Top Bottom