• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Disney Illusion Island, new co-op platformer, announced for Nintendo Switch (UPDATE: new free 'Mystery in Monoth' update announced, see threadmarks)

Timppis

Boo
Pronouns
he/him
Disney just unveiled new platformer co-op game titled Illusion Island at the Disney and Marvel showcase stream.

It was announced for Switch and features Mickey, Minney, Goofy and Donald on their 2020 art style.

I'll check with pics and link as soon as they become available.

edit: Thanks to Dardan Sandiego for the trailer link.

edit 2: Link to the games official Nintendo Website https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/disney-illusion-island-switch/

Last edited:
mickey.gif

I was already sold by the leaks, but it's tied to the Illusion series? HOLY SHIT! I'm so happy!

Hideous artstyle

Why not have it look like those newer Mickey Mouse shorts instead of a shitty, unfinished version of them
I was going to say this. The new shorts are so amazing and that art style would translate well to a game

You cannot tell me TerminalMontage is not behind this art style.

I'm in 100% day one

I don't mind the artstyle but it looks kinda slow.

From the Battletoads 2020 studio. I liked that one, I actually appreciate that modern CN cartoon artstyle. Probably will love this one and main Goofy.

Looks good to me if a bit slow-paced! I hope it will have some good challenge to it, some well-crafted level design and a balance between playing in SP vs. MP. Rayman Origins and Legends were really terrific on all of those fronts. I'm really delighted to see a new exclusive major 2D platformer. Granted it may feel like small potatoes for a lot of folks but it's a new original game starring one of the most popular characters in the world, exclusively for Switch, in his first major gaming outing since the Epic Mickey series about a decade ago. Neat to see this happening and it's going on my wishlist with an optimistic eye!

Looks kinda bland and slow. Need to see more though, that was barely enough to whet the appetite. I love the old Illusion games so I hope this turns out good.

I don't think the developers are obliged to do it, but it would be great if there are more characters than the four they shown here. Like maybe I guess Daisy Duck or if they are allowed to go deeper, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

Thank you for reading.

It looks great! I love the art style. I really like the concept too - a four-player co-op platformer with the Mickey Mouse crew is a fantastic idea. I selfishly wish it was single-player though, multiplayer games are kinda hard to fit into my life. Even if you can play it single-player, it’ll probably be a lesser experience, like Trine.

But still, this game looks great for sure!

Kinda surprised. It's Switch exclusive apparently?? Also being a Disney game that isn't the same bland art style is cool to see.

Looks very Cuphead and Rayman Legends inspired to me tbh.

It looks great! I love the art style. I really like the concept too - a four-player co-op platformer with the Mickey Mouse crew is a fantastic idea. I selfishly wish it was single-player though, multiplayer games are kinda hard to fit into my life. Even if you can play it single-player, it’ll probably be a lesser experience, like Trine.

But still, this game looks great for sure!
I'm hoping like the Rayman games that appear to inspire it, the SP experience will be just as great as the MP.

Phew, I'm probably unrealistically hyped for this lol but I love the Rayman Origin/Legends games and the movement is quite evocative of those. I have big big nostalgia for the illusion games on Master System and Mega Drive and also the cartoon shorts related to this version of Mickey are phenomenal lol exciting! I believe the devs are the same that worked on battletoads too and I thought that was a perfectly solid game

I would've preferred the more traditional Mickey Mouse look of the games of yore (Castle of Illusion, Magical Quest, Mickey Mania, etc), but this could be a really fun four-player experience like Rayman Legends was.

The Mickey Mouse shorts Disney have been making recently look great, but the "Great Value™ Mickey Mouse shorts" art style this game is using does not in my opinion. Nothing about it really makes me think of the "Illusion" series either, but there was less than 90 seconds of footage shown so it's too early to say for sure. I'm not writing it off but the trailer did not leave me with a great first impression. Hopefully the gameplay is there, we'll see.

??? This is primarily single player amigo.
From the eShop page: "Play solo or grab up to three friends to save the island of Monoth in 4-player couch co-op. Team up with friends and utilize unique skills such as Rope Drop, Leap Frog, and a heart gifting hug." You can play it by yourself, but this is a co-op game.

The Mickey Mouse shorts Disney have been making recently look great, but the "Great Value™ Mickey Mouse shorts" art style this game is using does not in my opinion. Nothing about it really makes me think of the "Illusion" series either, but there was less than 90 seconds of footage shown so it's too early to say for sure. I'm not writing it off but the trailer did not leave me with a great first impression. Hopefully the gameplay is there, we'll see.

From the eShop page: "Play solo or grab up to three friends to save the island of Monoth in 4-player couch co-op. Team up with friends and utilize unique skills such as Rope Drop, Leap Frog, and a heart gifting hug." You can play it by yourself, but this is a co-op game.
Oh God LOL. I just realized where I posted this. Ignore that post, I thought this was the Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope discussion.

I would've preferred the more traditional Mickey Mouse look of the games of yore (Castle of Illusion, Magical Quest, Mickey Mania, etc), but this could be a really fun four-player experience like Rayman Legends was.
Hey um, so if you see a post before I edit this saying this is primarily single player, don't pay it any mind. Lol my dumb self didn't realize where I was posting, thinking this was the Mario+Rabbids Sparks of Hope discussion🙃.

Well, the Illusion games were already diluted in many different iterations.. with the only thing in common between all of them, is the Butt Bounce move, which this game does have;

World of Illusion, for example, was already a simultaneous co-op game, and it was very slow paced (in fact, all Illusion games are, maybe to a fault.. with the 8-Bit titles being a little snapier); So this being a 4-Player version of this concept is not too shocking;

I'm sure it will be perfectly fine playing solo though;

On the matter of arstyle, of course is subjective, but I feel they made it just close enough of recent Mickey shorts, while still managing to achieve their own personal take, and I quite like it.

Since there was no eShop logo in the trailer, I assume this is getting a physical release?

I really want it! Especially since the Castle of Illusion remake SEGA made didn't have one

I'll be buying it just for the co op. Wife and kids and all. Should be fun to finish this with the family.

This game makes me feels like a boomer, I want to complain about how Mickey doesn't look like Mickey anymore and the blame is on those damn kids and their cellphones.

This game makes me feels like a boomer, I want to complain about how Mickey doesn't look like Mickey anymore and the blame is on those damn kids and their cellphones.
Yeah, the new Mickey shorts are good but they don't feel like the Mickey I love.

The Donald of your avatar is by Daan Jippes, right? I wish they built a Mickey/Donald universe in animation and videogames using the comics books by Barks, Rosa and Gottfredson and those from Italy and North Europe as a base. They planned a very Barks-inspired "Epic Donald" years ago, but it was cancelled after Epic Mickey flopped.

The Nintendo Life review is promising, but ultimately it just seems a bit too easy for my taste based on the reviews.

Back
Top Bottom