• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Disenchantment Season 4

Samurai Goro

Sushi Kamakaze Fujiyama Nippon-Ichi
Is anyone watching this?

Honestly, I'm torn.

Look, I'm a long-time Futurama fan, and that probably warped me going in. I probably tried more than I should have, defeneded more than I should have....I couldn't help it.

And, look. There's a part of me that continues to think that this show has potential. It's like.....almost there.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut....

I really feel like this show can't figure out what it wants to be. If it's a joke-a-minute comedy? It's failing. If it's a long-form fantasy epic? It's failing. If it's something in between? Well....

It has severe pacing issues, severe reset-the-plot issues, and severe "well then, give me the answer, already" issues that are all compounding. Everything gets to "almost-mitgated," status and then reverses. It's frustrating.

We now have a show that's less funny than ever (you can't force the references or catch-phrases nearly as hard as this show does), less progressing than ever (they undid everything about the S3 finale in one episode.....again) and less repeating (just how many times do we need Bean to be saved by Mora to get it?) than it was previously.

Disenchantment Season 3 made me believe. Disenchantment Season 4 made me doubt.

....and that's a terrible fate for a cliffhanger-ending of an un-renewed show's season finale.

Thoughts?????

That was my same opinion by the time I finished the first season

Unfortunately the serialized story arc format does not serve the type of comedy that Futurama has, which is mile-a-minute joke fest.

Simpsons
- no serialized story arc
- plot serves the jokes

Futurama
- no serialized story arc
- plot serves the jokes

Disenchanted
- serialized story arc
- jokes serve the plot

You know, it's funny because I tried to justify the difference between Disenchantment and Futurama the exact same way to a friend that bailed early, but I would have trouble telling them to come back for that.

If you bailed after the first season, I can say - it gets way better. It never reaches the level of humor of Futurama, but it does get interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't maintain that level anymore, imo.

And given the status of the plot....I can't recommend wasting time until it goes somewhere....

i enjoy it so far. its different and much less funny but the story is going somewhere. i do prefer simpsons and futurama though.

When I heard that Weinstein and Oakley were executive producers on this show I had high hopes but they don't seem to have panned out. I guess lightning doesn't strike thrice (though a big part of the success of Futurama was poaching golden age Simpsons writers at their peak).

I watched 8 of the 10 new episodes the other day and while I don't think they're so bad I did find them kinda boring. It's sad because I enjoyed the first season a lot back when it was first released but I feel like the show only got worse since then

I am just watching this out of boredom in the background at this point. Absolute shame cause I actually like the characters and some of the visual gags (the owls flying against the bell) but the weird pacing, the almost placeholder feeling to the sound design with weird rythm and mixing.

It just feels like a rough draft that got released.

Back
Top Bottom