• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Discord users: everyone is going to need to choose a new username

Illusionary

Piranha Plant

Discord is taking away the four-digit tag that it puts after its usernames as it looks to make it "easier to connect" with other users. As noted in a post on Discord's blog, this change will force most users to change their usernames, as Discord will no longer have the four-number tag that distinguishes one person with the same username from another.

Instead of having a four-number discriminator appended to your username, you will now have a unique alphanumeric username with the "@" symbol in front of it. You'll also get to choose a non-unique display name that can include special characters, spaces, emoji, and non-Latin characters, making the platform a lot more like other mainstream social networks, such as Twitter and Instagram. It also makes it less like the gaming platform it started life as, with suffixes similar to the ones used on services like Steam, Battle.net, and Xbox.

Unfortunately, this process means everyone on Discord will need to select a new username.

According to Discord, you can update your username gradually “in the coming weeks,” and the platform will notify you when you’re able to do so. The company says it will prioritize longtime Discord users, which means the longer you’ve been on Discord, the sooner you’ll be able to choose a new name.
More at the link. As I'm sure that everyone will be thinking, I hope that I can get in early enough to need minimal change.

Saw someone on a server I'm on speculate that the US government forced them to do this because of that one guy who leaked the documents about Ukraine.

Saw someone on a server I'm on speculate that the US government forced them to do this because of that one guy who leaked the documents about Ukraine.
Nah they've been adding random ass features no one wanted for years, how would this even help that issue

Edit:Also isn't being able to choose your stuff one of the big perks of Nitro? This just seems annoying not to mention the specifics of numbers make it easier to identify for forums that ask for social media accounts as proof

I think it kinda make sense, like remove the random numbers and just have a username, or even add them when you update your user if one is attached to them.

I think it kinda make sense, like remove the random numbers and just have a username, or even add them when you update your user if one is attached to them.
But everyone's just going to add their own 'random' number when they inevitably find that their desired username is taken.

Well that’s shit, I change my username a lot.
I’m going to have to just add the 4 digits in the end manually or something anyway lmao.

But everyone's just going to add their own 'random' number when they inevitably find that their desired username is taken.
yeah but reading at the post, that's why they added the display name, that can include anything, so in the example the display name can still be phibi#8936 even if the username changes. Also according to Discord the discriminator is still going to work as an alias after the process

In addition, your previous username and discriminator will continue to work as an alias after the conversion process is done, so old friends who don’t know your new username yet will continue to be able to add you.

yeah but reading at the post, that's why they added the display name, that can include anything, so in the example the display name can still be phibi#8936 even if the username changes. Also according to Discord the discriminator is still going to work as an alias after the process
We already have the display name/username distinction, that's not a new addition here.

That's just a better system, tbh.
I'm not seeing how. What do you see as the significant benefits?

It started as a platform for gaming but it's way beyond that now. But yeah, it sucks. They always do these random updates.

I haven't been a fan of whatever discord has been doing for the last couple of years.

Not-so-secretly wishing we just collectively went back to IRC.

Yeah, this is a very weird decision. The Discord username system has been so much better than most other social media applications imho and I think conforming to the majority here is a step backwards.

Back
Top Bottom