• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Digital Foundry || Pikmin 4 - DF Tech Review - An Unreal Graphics Boost For Nintendo?

I think it has to do with the co-development with Eighting as they're very proficient with Unreal Engine
Eighting didn't co-develop the game. They were a support studio. Every game in existence including every Nintendo game have support studios as well.
It's like saying Tose co-developed Splatoon 2.

Co-development=/=support

only MY definition of graphics is valid smh
Well, taste in art style, character design etc. is pretty subjective but technical things are pretty objective, that's exactly what Digital Foundry look at and appreciate the improvement in, in Pikmin 4.
You can prefer the original Final Fantasy 7 to the remake but arguing the it has "surpassed" the remake's graphics is pretty unconvincing to day the least.

Eighting didn't co-develop the game. They were a support studio. Every game in existence including every Nintendo game have support studios as well.
It's like saying Tose co-developed Splatoon 2.

Co-development=/=support
It wasn't just support, and that is just evident with the fact that the Chief Director for Pikmin 4 is from Nintendo and the Director for Pikmin 4 is from Eighting.

RDT-20230719-0929569023229228663536842.jpg
Not directly related but had to quote it lol.
I really miss the transparency effects, and I don't think you can have cool sci-fi style without transparency. I've noticed this absence in most of the Switch-era games I've played.
Transparencies are a notable weakness of the Switch GPU and I hope the successor improves on it greatly in that department.

It wasn't just support, and that is just evident with the fact that the Chief Director for Pikmin 4 is from Nintendo and the Director for Pikmin 4 is from Eighting.
That doesn't explain why Eighting appears as a special thanks in the credits. Support studios appear on the special thanks section, while co-development gets full credits. Eighting was a support studio. Not a co-development.

Well, taste in art style, character design etc. is pretty subjective but technical things are pretty objective, that's exactly what Digital Foundry look at and appreciate the improvement in, in Pikmin 4.
You can prefer the original Final Fantasy 7 to the remake but arguing the it has "surpassed" the remake's graphics is pretty unconvincing to day the least.
i think you missed the sarcasm of my comment

That doesn't explain why Eighting appears as a special thanks in the credits. Support studios appear on the special thanks section, while co-development gets full credits. Eighting was a support studio. Not a co-development.
hell nintendo sure didn't drop eighting's name anywhere VS mercury steam which was very well mentioned by them with dread, very clearly they didn't do the same things lol

I can't explain how they do credits, but looking at the "Nintendo Staff" and the full staff listing on Kyoto Report, saying they're just "support" is about as inaccurate as saying Nintendo made Yoshi's Crafted World

Loved the DF praise, the game deserves it. Also got a little surprised the game has TAA because the shimmering and pixel noise is so apparent in some sections that it looks like it doesn't.
All those dynamic effects are sure as hell very taxing on the hardware and super impressive they got all in the game.
Hopefully we see more Nintendo UE efforts(inb4 the next 3D Mario has a UE5 logo in the beginning of the trailer).

Going by the credits on Kyoto Report, Eighting was the primary developer; with Nintendo staff providing overall game design and art direction. That explains the move to UE4.

Transparencies are a notable weakness of the Switch GPU and I hope the successor improves on it greatly in that department.

It's true. Alpha transparancies are very bandwidth intensive, which is why almost every Switch game uses dithering for its transparancy effects on 3D objects. It's a feature built right into the SDK that you can flip on with a switch.

Funnily enough, both BOTW and TOTK do not use this feature though... probably because of their Wii U lineage...

BTW, did you know that the Switch actually has a special "32-bit" mode that runs the Arm CPU in a "backwards compatible" 32-bit mode instead of the standard 64-bit? It's almost exclusively used for 3DS and Wii U ports; and any game that uses it is a dead-giveaway for being originally built for a previous console... They also tend not to use the alpha transparancy dithering mode.

Last edited:
BTW, did you know that the Switch actually has a special "32-bit" mode that runs the Arm CPU in a "backwards compatible" 32-bit mode instead of the standard 64-bit? It's almost exclusively used for 3DS and Wii U ports; and any game that uses it is a dead-giveaway for being originally built for a previous console... They also tend not to use the alpha transparancy dithering mode.
Didn't ARMS run in that 32-bit mode?

Didn't ARMS run in that 32-bit mode?

Yes it does. It was almost certainly originally developed for Wii U before being cancelled and moved over to Switch instead (and wouldn't you know it, they already had the Wii Remote Plus, that had the same motion controls as the Joycons, ready to go).

Kirby Star Allies is another one, as is Luigi's Mansion 3 IIRC (That one being a cancelled Wii U game is already public knowledge though).

Cancelling late-generation games and moving them over to future consoles is pretty standard fare for Nintendo though. It's the only way that you could reasonably get games out so soon in a new system's lifecycle. ARMS being a feature-rich and polished title available so soon in the Switch's life would only be possible if it was originally a Wii U game... and that would make perfect sense given that the development team (same one as that which made Mario Kart 8) wrapped up that game and its DLC in mid 2015, giving ARMS two years of development time before getting a quickie port to Switch.

Going by the credits on Kyoto Report, Eighting was the primary developer; with Nintendo staff providing overall game design and art direction. That explains the move to UE4.

Nintendo was definitely the LEAD developer and Eighting was LEGIT co-developer. Nintendo had lead roles in all aspects (Direction, Design, Script, Program, Sound). But the overall EPD team was maybe 20-30 people . They had other developers contributing significantly like PLANETA CO., LTD

Nintendo definitely did game program and sound here for example. The progamming is interesting since it was done on UE4..

Programming Director:
Yuji Kando (EPD)

Graphic Programming Lead:
Atsushi Haneda (EPD)

Player Programming Lead:
Akira Mizukami (EPD)

Sound Director:
Mitsuhiro Kida (EPD)

Music Lead:
Kenta Nagata (EPD)

Music:
Asuka Hayazaki (EPD)
Soshi Abe (EPD)

Sound Design Lead:
Taiyo Furukawa (EPD)

I can't explain how they do credits, but looking at the "Nintendo Staff" and the full staff listing on Kyoto Report, saying they're just "support" is about as inaccurate as saying Nintendo made Yoshi's Crafted World

I mean Nintendo definitely made this game.. with Eighting. They also kind of designed and did sound for Yoshi's Crafted World, they didn't have programmers though.

Nintendo was definitely the LEAD developer and Eighting was LEGIT co-developer. Nintendo had lead roles in all aspects (Direction, Design, Script, Program, Sound). But the overall EPD team was maybe 20-30 people . They had other developers contributing significantly like PLANETA CO., LTD

Nintendo definitely did game program and sound here for example. The progamming is interesting since it was done on UE4..

Programming Director:
Yuji Kando (EPD)

Graphic Programming Lead:
Atsushi Haneda (EPD)

Player Programming Lead:
Akira Mizukami (EPD)

Sound Director:
Mitsuhiro Kida (EPD)

Music Lead:
Kenta Nagata (EPD)

Music:
Asuka Hayazaki (EPD)
Soshi Abe (EPD)

Sound Design Lead:
Taiyo Furukawa (EPD)

I mean Nintendo definitely made this game.. with Eighting. They also kind of designed and did sound for Yoshi's Crafted World, they didn't have programmers though.

Nintendo staff lead the development, but the bulk of the programming and art was done by Eighting (with other developers also contributing art and other bits & bobs). Not unlike Bandai Namco's previous co-development work back on the Wii U/early days of the Switch.

Stands to reason then that this was the reason why UE4 was chosen over Nintendo's own internal engine. The Eighting staff would've been much more familiar with UE4.

That being said though... I wonder why the initial version of Pikmin 4 was cancelled... the one that was apparantly "very close to completion" back in 2015 and was reported to have been "rebooted" in 2019. Perhaps it was just too entwined with the Wii U Gamepad and they weren't able to port it over to Switch without redesigning the whole game from scratch? Hope we get to see that version resurface in some form eventually! Would love to see what it was originally meant to be!

Either way, I'm glad to see Nintendo work with Eighting again. Let's hope that they get round to reviving Kuru Kuru Kururin now :D

Nintendo staff lead the development, but the bulk of the programming and art was done by Eighting (with other developers also contributing art and other bits & bobs). Not unlike Bandai Namco's previous co-development work back on the Wii U/early days of the Switch.

Stands to reason then that this was the reason why UE4 was chosen over Nintendo's own internal engine. The Eighting staff would've been much more familiar with UE4.

There are other EPD programmers not involved with Pikmin 4 that are also working with UE4. So I don't think it was chosen just so EPD programmers could work with Eighting -- but maybe as a co-development structure in general for certain projects.

There are other EPD programmers not involved with Pikmin 4 that are also working with UE4. So I don't think it was chosen just so EPD programmers could work with Eighting -- but maybe as a co-development structure in general for certain projects.

Yeah maybe. That would make sense since they're gonna need to work with a wider variety of outside development partners going forward. They're probably also responsible for liaising with Epic and ensuring the the Switch/Switch 2 branches of the engine continue getting optimised as well.

Yeah maybe. That would make sense since they're gonna need to work with a wider variety of outside development partners going forward. They're probably also responsible for liaising with Epic and ensuring the the Switch/Switch 2 branches of the engine continue getting optimised as well.
Nvidia should be pushing their own branch to Nintendo since it has a lot of neat stuff. Pikmin 5 on NvRTX branch would be bonkers

This was bothering me so much, each time it happened I just kept saying to myself that there was no way a real person would pronounce it like this. Surely it had to have been to drum up engagement by forcing people to comment on the video about it?? The way this narrator pronounces "Unreal Engine" is wild, too.

I’m glad I’m not the first to comment on the bizarre pronunciation of Oatchi, lol. Like, how does that even happen?? If you’re making a professional review for a game for a notable outlet like this, how the hell don’t you know how to pronounce the name of the game’s most prominent and important new character? Sure, the name isn’t actually pronounced in game, but not only is “Oh-aht-chi” a bizarre pronunciation to assume is correct without checking (maybe they thought it was supposed to “sound Japanese” or whatever, but it takes little effort to check a wiki to see what the Japanese name actually is and how it’s pronounced, and it’s certainly not that), but the name has been pronounced in official videos from Nintendo, at least one of which I believe was featured in a Nintendo Direct. How do you make supposedly professional content about a game and then get something like this so wrong without even questioning it (especially when it’s something that you should already know, and if not it’s such an incredibly easy thing to check)??

Last edited:
I’m glad I’m not the first to comment on the bizarre pronunciation of Oatchi, lol. Like, how does that even happen?? If you’re making a professional review for a game for a notable outlet like this, how the hell don’t you know how to pronounce the name of the game’s most prominent and important new character? Sure, the name isn’t actually pronounced in game, but not only is “Oh-aht-chi” a bizarre pronunciation to assume is correct without checking (maybe they thought it was supposed to “sound Japanese” or whatever, but it takes little effort to check a wiki to see what the Japanese name actually is and how it’s pronounced, and it’s certainly not that), but the name has been pronounced in official videos from Nintendo, at least one of which I believe was featured in a Nintendo Direct. How do you make supposedly professional content about a game and then get something like this so wrong without even questioning it (especially when it’s something that you should already know, and if not it’s such an incredibly easy thing to check)??
It's a lazy but the focus of these videos are technical details, not "serious" journalism, so I personally don't care much.

I mean... I have seen many multimillion dollar movie productions were actors play people from a foreign country and should supposedly speak the foreign language but obviously are no native speaker. For example when "Germans" appear in Hollywood movies they often speak with a heavy accent and often say nonsensical sentences.

A funny little example is the show Grimm, were they use many German words. They pronounce every one of them wrong every time and even use them in the wrong context.

He clearly thought it was a Japanese name a defaulted to a japanese-like prononciation. DF make a lot of videos, he for sure didn't watch a lot of pre release material but as long as the technical analysis is good that's not a big deal. At least he made the effort of going back to Pikmin 3 to compare.

Haven't seen the video, but I know there are several non-native English speakers at digital foundry. In that case the English pronunciation of Oatchi is the bizarre one.

Quoted by: SiG
It's really not a big deal, it's harmless and definitely not worth questioning their professionalism over. Get over yourself.

Haven't seen the video, but I know there are several non-native English speakers at digital foundry. In that case the English pronunciation of Oatchi is the bizarre one.
I think they were confused as to if they should follow the Japanese pronounciation or the official Anglicized one.

In Japan, Oatchi is called "Occhin" or "Otchin", so I'm guessing the localized name was supposed to ressemble something more like "Oatchy".

It's really not a big deal, it's harmless and definitely not worth questioning their professionalism over. Get over yourself.
I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t even think to check the pronunciation, and you’d think the kind of people making this type of content would ideally be informed enough to have watched Nintendo Directs and other official videos where the name has been properly pronounced. It’s just surprising and kinda odd. That’s all I’m saying.

I know it’s not a huge deal, but don’t act like a bunch of people here wouldn’t be picking them apart if they had given other misinformation about the game in the review that actually had something to do with gameplay or content.

Last edited:
I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t even think to check the pronunciation, and you’d think the kind of people making this type of content would ideally be informed enough to have watched Nintendo Directs and other official videos where the name has been properly pronounced. It’s just surprising and kinda odd. That’s all I’m saying.
Personally, I don't think the priority of a channel dedicated to analyzing the technical aspects of a finished product would necessarily care about pre-release promotional material. It's quite literally the definition of missing the forest for the trees.

Personally, I don't think the priority of a channel dedicated to analyzing the technical aspects of a finished product would necessarily care about pre-release promotional material. It's quite literally the definition of missing the forest for the trees.
Heck, I watched the pre-release material and constantly question whether or not I'm saying it right.

Side Note: This is giving me real "Tee-dus or Tie-dus" vibes. Pedantry never died.

Side Note: This is giving me real "Tee-dus or Tie-dus" vibes. Pedantry never died.
lol which of these is right? I played that game for the first time last year and it suddenly hit me about halfway through that (of course, since you can name him anything) they wrote the dialogue so they literally never have to say his name lol.
tie-dus feels more correct to me both phonetically and in relation to the word "tide"

lol which of these is right? I played that game for the first time last year and it suddenly hit me about halfway through that (of course, since you can name him anything) they wrote the dialogue so they literally never have to say his name lol.
tie-dus feels more correct to me both phonetically and in relation to the word "tide"
I always fell pretty hard on the Tee-dus side, and I'm pretty sure Wakka says as much in Kingdom Hearts.

Back
Top Bottom