• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Digital Foundry: Metroid Prime 4 is not Switch 2 footage

I don't get it. Does the footage even look so good for a switch game?
For me the graphic style seems muted and the simulated gameplay looked so slow and not dynamic.
I guess the gameplay is like the other Prime games, but I had hope for some change there.

I still don't know how anyone could think this is Switch 2 footage. Graphically it is very similar to Prime 1 Remastered.
or do people that say this think Pokemon SV is the best Switch can do (conveniently ignoring every other game that supposedly can't run on switch)?

Why on earth would anyone think it was Switch 2 footage?
Apart from it being obvious technically, does anyone really see Nintendo showing off a game from a console they haven't officially announced?
Sadly a lot of people unironically think games like scarlet/violet are the best a switch game can look.

Why on earth would anyone think it was Switch 2 footage?
Apart from it being obvious technically, does anyone really see Nintendo showing off a game from a console they haven't officially announced?
Most people equate "looks good in an artistic sense" with "technically advanced" because they don't have the eye or the knowledge to tell the difference. And it is a technically advanced game, just not a generational leap over MP:R.

And game companies put out bullshots all the time, with games running at higher settings or on PCs, better than should be possible on the actual hardware. Even Nintendo has done it with early Tears of the Kingdom footage.

I don't think Nintendo would ever release footage running on an unannounced game console. But I understand the logic of "Prime 4 has to be a cross-gen game, so a Switch 2 version must exist. Game companies want to lead with the best looking version of your game. Prime 4 looks better than I imagined. Ergo, they're showing us Switch 2 footage"

I don't get it. Does the footage even look so good for a switch game?
For me the graphic style seems muted and the simulated gameplay looked so slow and not dynamic.
Technically speaking, the footage looks very good for a Switch game. If you don't like the style, that's fine, but from a technological perspective, it's boundary pushing.

MP:R was pretty impressive for doing PBR at 60fps, much less at decent-ish resolution. This game increases the number and quality of materials, and the amount of geometry, by a pretty decent margin, while holding those resolution and frame rate targets. It's a serious technical accomplishment.

no shit lol. sorry for sounding harsh but the switch 2/pro brainrot over the last 4 years has been so annoying. feels like i'm reading gamefaqs shitposts half the time.

I think that was pretty obvious, but I kinda like how people saying this means that the reception of the game's visuals is really positive. And I'm sure that they'll improve it even further.

Technically speaking, the footage looks very good for a Switch game. If you don't like the style, that's fine, but from a technological perspective, it's boundary pushing.

MP:R was pretty impressive for doing PBR at 60fps, much less at decent-ish resolution. This game increases the number and quality of materials, and the amount of geometry, by a pretty decent margin, while holding those resolution and frame rate targets. It's a serious technical accomplishment.
Seems I cannot tell the technical differences at all, if it is not really big.
I currently playing Monster Hunter Sunbreak on the switch.
Compared to the MP4 trailer I thought Sunbreak does not look much worse.
I know Sunbreak is only 30fps, but the framerate does not bother me since
I cannot tell the difference most of the time.

To me the game seemed technically good, perhaps excellent, for the OG Switch level. Other already released titles in my opinion are superior (LM3, for example).
I don't understand how anyone could have thought it could be a title that ran on Switch 2...

I can see why people might have been a bit surprised that it's a Switch game. Most Nintendo game are pretty cartoony and/or are smaller budget made by smaller/less technically capable teams that don't spend a ton of time on technical/visual prowess. Meanwhile the most technically impressive games on the platform also happen to be larger open world style, so you don't really quite get that same wow factor.

Metroid Prime is a lot like LM3 or Rabbids 2 where it's one of the few games that are not open world and push the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom