• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Digital Foundry: Metroid Prime 4 is not Switch 2 footage

Lugia667

Darknut
Pronouns
He/Him

thought I would share this, not that this doesn't deconfirm it's cross-platform or anything, just that it's running on Switch hardware

Really Show's how easily Nintendo will impress people, when the Switch 2 arrives.

The expectation for it on other social media platforms is unbelievable small.
the expectation here is realistic, but higher than other places.

Still Prime 4 looks awesome.

I'm still just so glad that Metroid Prime Remastered dropped last year, because it gave a small taste to how amazing Prime 4 can look.

I was surprised so many people thought it couldn’t be Switch footage. The game looks great, but what’s been shown so far isn’t far removed from Prime
Remastered visually.

I was surprised so many people thought it couldn’t be Switch footage. The game looks great, but what’s been shown so far isn’t far removed from Prime
Remastered visually.
Most people sadly didn't play Prime remaster...

For the people who hasn't played or seen prime remaster this looks like NG Switch for them, even though prime remasters was an indicator of how Prime 4 would be shape up to look.

Nothing about the trailer made that seem unlikely at all. Do people remember what Prime 1 remake/Luigis mansion 3 and for that matter how many Ps3/Xbox 360 games can look like? Let alone what a newer platform like the switch can do? How many little systems TOTK needs to keep track of?

Much ado about nothing.

Schrödinger's Switch, people both underestimate and overestimate what Switch is capable of.

FYI, this is just a clipped version of their full Direct analysis. (below) Lots of interesting comments about other games shown at the direct as well.

Last edited:
Schrödinger's Switch, people both underestimate and overestimate what Switch is capable of.

FYI, this is just a clipped version of their Direct analysis. Lots of interesting comments about other games shown at the direct as well.

I'm mostly surprised about Horizon, since i was expecting the game looking way worse, but in reality it looks pretty good.

Everything we saw in the trailer looked like the linear intro, I want to see them use "the power of the Switch" for some actual open, labyrinthian spaces please. Even that little jungle pan over you could tell it's just a linear hallway, I know they can do more

I've been saying for ages that when they finally show Prime 4, people were gonna a) insist it looks too good for Switch 1 and b) pivot to downplaying its visuals and pretending they never thought that once it's confirmed to have actually been Switch 1 footage

Because Retro really is that good and most people aren't ready for just how much they're gonna cook with this game

Everything we saw in the trailer looked like the linear intro, I want to see them use "the power of the Switch" for some actual open, labyrinthian spaces please. Even that little jungle pan over you could tell it's just a linear hallway, I know they can do more
Not everything needs to be open world

I'm mostly surprised about Horizon, since i was expecting the game looking way worse, but in reality it looks pretty good.
Yeah, I was sure it was gonna look terrible visually with every aspect of the game being downgraded, like that Funko game they showed, but it looks quite good.

It had all the major visual flaws of all Switch 1 games that you would expect to be fixed for Switch 2 so it was weird that people thought it was a Switch 2 game.

Not sure why people thought a game with no anti-aliasing and low resolution textures was Switch 2 and not Switch 1.

Folks missed it, but Guerilla confirmed that the Switch version is actually made proper and not as merely a "port". It's clear that they made the Switch version seemingly from the ground up. Like, they CLEARLY want their proper debut on Nintendo systems with their own IP (as in, unlike MLB The Show) to make a fantastic first impression:

"For us, it's super exciting to make a Nintendo game for the first time, right?" Symons told me. He said that, rather than make the game for PS5 and scale it down, both versions were made simultaneously. "We do it actually all at the same time, in parallel, so we have a dedicated team of engineers optimizing all this for Switch, but it will be exactly the same."

With how people underestimate Switch 1 power, wouldn't surprise me that Switch 2 made from ground games are extremely impressive from a visual point of view.

The DF Clips initiative is paying off dividends for them :) This was taken from a much longer video going over the whole Direct, which was actually fun to watch if you're into Nintendo and like to know more about the technical underpinnings of your games.

Remastered visually.
Yea, the wall textures in particular didn't look out of place for a Switch title.

The DF video in particular highlights the likelihood that MP Remastered may have started out as an engine test of sorts given the technical similarities with the footage of Beyond that was shown.

What people always forget when it comes to cross gen titles, is that Nintendo always displays the graphics of the hardware properly unveiled. Example:

For Breath of the Wild, E3 2016's footage was all Wii U footage. Even when Switch was technically "announced" in October 2016, Nintendo still only shared Wii U footage of the game in the "Life in the Ruins" trailer at TGA 2016 in December. It was only after the Switch 2017 Presentation showcase that every following trailer/gameplay/ad was Switch footage.

Metroid Prime 4 will be the same if it's cross gen. Once the official showcase happens, then it'll be shown with Switch 2 graphics

I'm still sticking to my guns and saying there won't be a Switch 2 version of Metroid Prime 4. It will be playable on Switch 2 via backwards compatibility, but there won't be an individual Switch 2 release or any significant visual difference when played on Switch 2. I think people need to make peace with this now before getting their hopes up for a hypothetical version that has no smoke around it whatsoever.

Last edited:
It works because we are playing in tight corridors. Like FF XIII, artstyle such as the backgrounds and things are top notch. That last scene in MP4, that background is just an image AFAIK.

Something like Horizon Forbidden West for example isn't happening on a Switch. You can just tell this game is not that level.

Hopefully Nintendo utilizes Switch 2 power for their big franchises but I'm not sure if they will. Stylistic realism would be nice for Zelda.

I'm still sticking to my guns and saying there won't be a Switch 2 version of Metroid Prime 4. It will be playable on Switch 2 via backwards compatibility, but there won't be an individual Switch 2 release or any significant visual difference when played on Switch 2. I think people need to make peace with this now before getting their hopes up for a hypothetical version that has no smoke around it whatsoever.
We’ll see about that.

We’ll see about that.
The jump from Switch to Switch 2 is so massive that there's not much they can do to make Prime 4 look like a valuable purchase on Switch 2 later down the line.

I say they just give us a free upscaling for the game or via their online subscription or whatever they do for this. They aren't going to remaster it so soon and I don't think the game was being developed with Switch 2 in mind.

It started development way too long ago.

I mean maybe they just drop a Switch 2 retail version that has the upscaling.. but that would be it. It's not a true Switch 2 game.

and when you turn out to be wrong?

It's going to be very obvious when the first switch 2 game(s) are shown, the jump is going to be larger than anything nintendo has done since N64 --> GC

Late gen stuff usually look on par with next gen offering, Look at TLOU2 and GoT on Standard PS4 took awhile for games look good as that on PS5 minus Demons Souls ofc.

Late gen stuff usually look on par with next gen offering, Look at TLOU2 and GoT on Standard PS4 took awhile for games look good as that on PS5 minus Demons Souls ofc.
For the PS4-5 transition maybe, where diminishing returns bit hard, but for most generational transitions the new stuff absolutely smoked the old. Early Switch 2 games should be a big jump over even late gen Switch 1 titles.

It's going to be very obvious when the first switch 2 game(s) are shown, the jump is going to be larger than anything nintendo has done since N64 --> GC
The jump from Wii to Wii U was pretty huge.
We went from this:
90-A3YO5xsLn67ucI1urfQEJFlTt-b7tH7VEDcHu6io.jpg

7374-MKart1-1.jpg

To this:
images-4.fill.size_2000x1125.v1611686588.jpg

20130611213511MK8_Mario_Circuit.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom