• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Digital Foundry || Exclusive: DUSK On Nintendo Switch - A Brilliant Port Of An Exceptional Game!

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight

One of the best of the new breed of retro modern shooters, DUSK combines pitch-perfect aesthetics with brilliant gameplay - and now it's on Nintendo Switch, delivered via a brilliant port. John has all of the details.
  • running in Unity, which has caused some issues with ports in the past
  • the early dev version barely hit 20fps
  • 720p/1080p
  • has a pixel-size adjustement to mimic low resolutions
  • retro palette limits amount of colors
  • fov slider
  • lower particle density
  • fewer dynamic lights, no particle lighting on enemies gunfire
  • runs on a new version of Unity (2020.2.0)
  • every level was went over, better occlusion, mesh combining to reduce drawcalls, overdraw prevention for alpha effects
  • changed to Unity's job system to rework coding for lots of elements
  • changed the menu to be better
  • loading is quick
  • 99% stable 60fps for the first three episodes
  • can dip as low as 50fps when there are a lot of enemies on screen
  • might be better in portable mode
  • audio quality is high
  • an example of the work that goes into an exceptional switch port

Last edited:
Dusk is indeed great. I already finished it this year but I encourage everyone to try it out.

Going to get this. Another good port and you can tell they really put a lot of effort into it.

One of my favorite FPS on PC ^^

Hm, on the EU eShop the price is 16,66 €… That’s some HELLISH price !

Sounds like awesome Switch port.

Old school retro FPS are my butter & jam.

Quake was already really good on Switch.

Good news to those who have been holding out after hearing about the lack of gyro options: A new patch just got released and it allows you to not only invert gyro aiming separately from the Right Stick look, but also allows you to select which JoyCon to use should you prefer to do split controllers. Other gyro options include reading the motion as Roll instead of Yaw. (I'm guessing the former option is for people who play handheld mode with their Switches held right up to their face...)

Just played it with gyro sensitivity set to max (2.0) and it's basically one of the best gyro aiming games out there.

Last edited:
I just started this one yesterday and not only is it just a superb game in general, but its nice to see the developer made the effort to get it running really well on Switch.

The speed and smoothness is a big part of what makes Dusk feel so amazing to play, so it would be substantially diminished if the framerate was all over the place. As it is, its like a hot knife gliding through butter.

Back
Top Bottom