• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Diddy Kong Racing is 25 Years Old!

Nathan Little

Paratroopa
Pronouns
He/him
What kind of Diddy Kong fan would I be if I didn't make this thread? 😄🐒

Happy birthday to one of my favorite racing games of all time! I couldn't be more proud that they not only chose Diddy to star in the game (sorry Timber), but it was also the first game to introduce the goofy and loveable Banjo the bear and the drunk and depressed Conker the squirrel.

Here's a nice wonderful article from Kevin Bayliss himself on the development of DKR.

Any nice memories of the game you would like to share?

Unlocking T.T. is still one of my all time proudest gaming achievements. Spent a good chunk of one summer as a kid defeating all of those time trial ghosts.

It's still one of my favorite kart racers. It would be a long shot but would love for it to come to the N64 NSO app.

Happy Birthday Diddy Kong Racing!!!

One of the best Kart racers ever made. It is wild to me Nintendo never attempted a story mode in their own racing games cause it worked so good in DKR.

Here's hoping they eventually add this to NSO!

This game was amazing to me when it came out. Having a full 3D world to explore with items to collect in a racing game blew my mind as a kid.

Unlocking T.T. is still one of my all time proudest gaming achievements. Spent a good chunk of one summer as a kid defeating all of those time trial ghosts.

It's still one of my favorite kart racers. It would be a long shot but would love for it to come to the N64 NSO app.
That dang clock gives me nightmares to this day.

TT theme plays "Hi, there! I'm TT!"

😰

It's funny. For games like these that were called upon to fill in the gap while Ocarina of Time continuously got delayed, I'd have to say this: In the long run, Star Fox 64, Diddy Kong Racing and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon not only really made my 1997, I'd be amiss if I didn't say they didn't leave more of a mark on me than even OoT itself did.

Didn't help that Diddy also had a hilarious promotional video attached.

"I MISS MY MONKEY!!!"

:(
Rare was intending to make a direct sequel to the game on gamecube with a focus on riding the animal buddies, but it was partially canned after the MS acquistion.

i say "partially" because the concept attempted to evolve into a new Sabreman game, Sabreman Stampede, but even that was eventually canceled in the end.

the planned GBA spin-off, "Diddy Kong Pilot". faired a bit better, eventually resurfacing in the form of "Banjo-Pilot". which unsurprisingly replaced all of the DK elements with Banjo-Kazooie content.
DDP03TitleScreen.png
Banjo_Pilot_title_screen.PNG

diddy-kong-racing-nintendo_64.gif

Hell of a game, can/will nintendo put it and dk64 out on nso? Or will weird licensing issues stop that from happening, like mario rpg?

I played this game so much as a kid (I wasn't very good at it though 😅). What sticks with me the most after all of these years is the absolute banger of a soundtrack the game has. The whole thing just slaps.

And now that I think about it, was this the game that had the CD soundtrack shaped like Diddy's face that would fuck up certain CD players?

diddy-kong-racing-nintendo_64.gif

Hell of a game, can/will nintendo put it and dk64 out on nso? Or will weird licensing issues stop that from happening, like mario rpg?
I'm hoping so. Hopefully after the current wave is ended they will go third party. DKR with online would be glorious, expansion pack would be worthy to me just with it

I listened the Kongversation episode on why Diddy Kong Racing still matters from DK Vine, and I highly recommend (well, if you're already familiar with the tone of DK Vine, for sure); great reminiscing of how the game impacts and establishes everything Rare/Playtonic does next and makes Diddy a way more recognizable character, as a lead star!

Back
Top Bottom