• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Did you know there was a real Bulbasaurus?

What was Bulbasaurus named after?

• Its bulbus nasal bosses

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • It is named after a Pokemon

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters

Sander RX

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He, Him
reconstruction-of-what-the-bulbasaurus-may-have-looked-like-while-alive.png

tumblr_inline_p9guiqZbSh1rkapbx_1280.png

Bulbasaurus was an extinct genus Dicynodonts from the late Permian South Africa. Dicynodonts were a clade of Therapsids (ancient mammal relatives which dominated the lands before the age of dinosaurs).

Bulbasaurus was smaller than its later Dicynodonts relatives who would later proliferate in early Triassic and lived a burrowing lifestyle. According to the scientists who named it, this hardy critter supposedly gets its name not from Pokemon, but from bulbous nasal bosses, which it may have used for attracting mates.

Bulbasaurus was described by Christian Kammerer and Smith in 2017. The description states that the generic name combines the Latin bulbus, referring to the very large and bulbous nasal bosses, with the common suffix -saurus. As for the specific name phylloxyron, meaning literally "leaf razor", it is derived from the Greek phyllos and xyron, and apparently refers to the keratinous covering on the premaxilla, maxilla, and palate that would have been used to shear plant material.[1] Thus, as published, the name of Bulbasaurus does not directly refer to Pokémon, or specifically the similarly-named Bulbasaur. However, Kammerer noted that "if one wished to read between the lines concerning certain similarities, I wouldn't stop them",[3] and later added that "similarities between this species and certain other squat, tusked quadrupeds may not be entirely coincidental."[4]
Whether you believe them that Pokemon had nothing to do with it is up to you, really.

Here's a detailed video about this creature:

If it is named after a Pokemon, it would still be better than when they named a random Abelisaur dinosaur Thanos

Thanos_simonattoi_f018.jpg

Or when they named a Trilobite Han solo

Han_solo_trilobite.JPG

All this information and the Paleontologists still can't even tell us at what level it learns Razor Leaf...

I love that scientists just love giving cute dumb and cool names to stuff
My thesis was on an olfactory gene called sonic hedgehog, giving me the perfect excuse to fill my presentations with Sonic renders. Thank you random Sega fanboy scientist.

My thesis was on an olfactory gene called sonic hedgehog, giving me the perfect excuse to fill my presentations with Sonic renders. Thank you random Sega fanboy scientist.
Did you know about this study

There is no way someone would call it that and include "Razor leaf" without being in on a Pokemon joke.

Bulbasaur is number 1 because it's the best, even if the flower toad evolution is a bit pants.

And it's as cute as the og Bulbasaur! GF should make it a Pokémon to go full circle.

As for the specific name phylloxyron, meaning literally "leaf razor", it is derived from the Greek phyllos and xyron, and apparently refers to the keratinous covering on the premaxilla, maxilla, and palate that would have been used to shear plant material.

Writer needed to do some more research here.

I love that scientists just love giving cute dumb and cool names to stuff

Literally the only thing stopping all science discoveries being named after things scientists who found them happened to like is those damn journals often stepping in and refusing to publish unless we give them boring names.

Back
Top Bottom