• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Did you know? The Playstation Vita version of Alien Shooter includes a mostly working Windows build?

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
Alien_Shooter_vita_exe_launcher.PNG

This is something i was researching over the past few weeks as part of usual archival work. For whatever reason, when you extract the .PSARC file it's just there. Plain as day.

Alien_Shooter_vita_exe_in_game_vita_res.PNG

Two screen options simulating both the default PS3 and Vita screen resolutions, and as noted in the title. It's the entire game, just without sound and save support.

By the time the game was brought over to PS3 about a year later, the developers ended up scrubbing almost all of this stuff out of the data. Though it's at least easier to look through said data, because they didn't use the .psarc container format on there.
Take a look at the TCRF article if you want to learn about the other unused files, including various batch files used for file conversion.

On a secondary note, feel free to discuss other examples of devs leaving working Windows builds in their games in this thread. Pikmin is probably one a lot of people remember, and in fact i was partially responsible for that getting spread around.
and the launch day (possibly the retail PS4 disk as well?) build of Metal Wolf Chaos XD mistakenly included the original .xbe executable file used in the Xbox Version, and some special debug versions.

Pikmin 1 on GCN was a basically unplayable debug build which is more interesting to me personally. Vita seems so recent for it to have happened. I'm kind of surprised.

Back
Top Bottom