• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data December 2021 NPD: Switch #1 in units, ties PS5 in revenue. COD #1, Halo Infinite #2, Pokemon #3

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Switch remains 1st in units but ties PS5 in revenue. Switch wins 2021 as far as units and revenue though. Top 3 games are Call of Duty: Vanguard, Halo Infinite and Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/ Shining Pearl. Resident Evil Village finishes year at 8th place and dollar sales for that game are at a franchise record.

If New Pokemon Snap is ~2.2-2.3mil outside of Japan, can Metroid Dread's US numbers be extrapolated from it performing better?

Since there are multiple price points for Switch and PS5 we can't get very exact based on the hardware giving similar revenue. If it's all Switch OLED vs discless PS5, Switch would need at least a 14% unit advantage to tie. If it's all Lites vs discful PS5s, it would need a 150% advantage.

I look forward to reading the yearly figures next January. The effects of Microsoft's recent purchases will be already felt by then.

Four replies for a NPD thread. Wow how far we've come. :cry:

Anyway, market leader still market leading. Switch had the same revenue as PS5 with a much less expensive to build device, and as far as software goes they pretty much do not share their sales with anyone else. I can only begin to imagine how much money they're making.

Four replies for a NPD thread. Wow how far we've come. :cry:

Anyway, market leader still market leading. Switch had the same revenue as PS5 with a much less expensive to build device, and as far as software goes they pretty much do not share their sales with anyone else. I can only begin to imagine how much money they're making.
my deep and always correct analysis about the market is exclusive to Install Base due to contract obligations.

Probably because the sales talk is on Install Base.

Also, the Acti-Blizzard acquisition has pretty much dominated the current video game financials discussion.

my deep and always correct analysis about the market is exclusive to Install Base due to contract obligations.
That makes sense. Have not signed up on install base, which sucks as MC and NPD threads are some of my favourite regular threads to read.

Still waiting for the day they'll make installbase available for lurkers.

two Microsoft exclusives in the top 3? been a while
image-asset-1.jpeg

Some napkin math at Install Base has Metroid Dread selling at least 2.19 million in the West for 2021 (from @Terrell )

EDIT: VR sales from 2021 doubled those from 2020!

Back
Top Bottom