• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Datel (Action Replay) finally makes a Switch accessory; the NitroPro Controller (plus MH Rise amiibo tags)

Pronouns
He/Him

pdt-nitropro-icon.jpg

Yes Virginia, Datel finally put out a genuine Switch accessory. Not an Action Replay (not likely with save files being locked to the console itself), but still...

Plus it does come with these tags that, I assume, are cheap alternatives to the MH Rise figures? Basically just the data sans the figures themselves... is that legal? They've done these for years with Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Splatoon 2.

Either way, anyone actually order this and confirm it's officially out? It looks like you can order it, but I think it's locked to EU for now? You can still find 3DS Action Replay Power Save Pros in some stores in Canada (and the US I assume), and I think I've seen their recent Pokemon Go Gotcha devices (whatever those are) as well.

Don't forget, Gameshark was created by Datel, as they were Action Replays in EU before InterAct brought them over under the Gameshark name. So in an alternate universe, this would be a Gameshark product. sniff

Hope this controller makes it to NA somehow.

Those amiibo tags are definitely not legal, lol. Not sure why Nintendo wouldn’t C&D them if they’ve been doing this for years, since this is a form of piracy.

Those amiibo tags are definitely not legal, lol. Not sure why Nintendo wouldn’t C&D them if they’ve been doing this for years, since this is a form of piracy.
Did they get an Xbox One controller mold? That looks almost identical.

Also those NFC cards are absolutely illegal, unless they are somehow licensed, which I doubt, haha.
It's possible the tags don't use the same code but are still recognized to achieve the same effects.

Think of it as making a key with bubble gum in the shape of the original key. Both will open the same lock, but it's not the same... key... or something.

Or it's sort of how cheat devices work ironically and how Nintendo lost the case (a rare occasion) when trying to kill the Game Genie; the device was allowed as long as it didn't use any actual copyrighted code. Same with emulators. Hence why this might be a safe enough grey area.

Oh wow, I haven't heard the name Datel since the Free Loader days. The endless delays were brutal when I had early copies of Sunshine and Wind Waker.

Edit: Hero of Legend covered off the majority of legality arguments, and the use of silhouettes obstructed by other design elements probably passes derivative IP/copyright infringement test also.

It's possible the tags don't use the same code but are still recognized to achieve the same effects.

Think of it as making a key with bubble gum in the shape of the original key. Both will open the same lock, but it's not the same... key... or something.

Or it's sort of how cheat devices work ironically and how Nintendo lost the case (a rare occasion) when trying to kill the Game Genie; the device was allowed as long as it didn't use any actual copyrighted code. Same with emulators. Hence why this might be a safe enough grey area.
Ah, you're probably correct there. I assumed they were wholesale copying the NFC but didn't consider that angle. Datel has been doing this long enough to know what they're doing, so my first instinct probably shouldn't have been 'illegal', lol

Ah, you're probably correct there. I assumed they were wholesale copying the NFC but didn't consider that angle. Datel has been doing this long enough to know what they're doing, so my first instinct probably shouldn't have been 'illegal', lol
Here's what confuses me; the pages say you need the figures and the tags "power them up"?

Smash is the only game where figures have any potential to be changed internally as Figure Players. All other instances are glorified unlock keys, so how would these be used for BOTW, MH Rise, etc.?

It's not clear from their website how the tags work at all, and there's nothing in their FAQ about the NitroTags line.

My guess is that the tags will clone data from an existing figure and then you can just use the tag instead, but that's entirely speculation on my part. Which, if accurate, is a shame because my Callie Amiibo died a while back and I'm in the market for a cheap replacement to get the unlocks in Splat 2 but I don't want to invest in an NFC writer setup for my computer (I don't have an Android device).

Here's what confuses me; the pages say you need the figures and the tags "power them up"?

Smash is the only game where figures have any potential to be changed internally as Figure Players. All other instances are glorified unlock keys, so how would these be used for BOTW, MH Rise, etc.?
Smash is definitely not the only game to write to amiibo; Twilight Princess HD, Splatoon (2), and I believe Mario Party 10 can as well. It's certainly rare, but they do do it on occasion.

However, it's not clear what they're doing for any of the listed games.

Edit: Looking into it, I think they're just flat-out lying to make it less obvious lol. The page for each respective NitroTag pack mentions the unlockables tied to the respective amiibo.

Last edited:
Also those NFC cards are absolutely illegal, unless they are somehow licensed, which I doubt, haha.

The legal status of making fake Amiibos is confusing, basically.

Morally? Likely highly unethical, yeah. Legally? If Nintendo could do anything they'd already have done it for the tags, tools and code that lets you make fake Amiibos with your phone and some stickers bought on Amazon.

The legal status of making fake Amiibos is confusing, basically.

Morally? Likely highly unethical, yeah. Legally? If Nintendo could do anything they'd already have done it for the tags, tools and code that lets you make fake Amiibos with your phone and some stickers bought on Amazon.
Ethics aside, I was under the impression you were literally copying copyrighted content onto a little NFC tag, so that would count as piracy; but I'm overall ignorant in this regard. I think in this case, it's probably just a matter of volume of shady amiibo content that Nintendo can't keep on top of.

What a weird design. It looks like they scavenged parts from existing controllers. It's got the XBO shell with the grips, buttons and triggers of a Switch Pro's.

Neat looking controller. I don't need the amiibo things but I could see myself picking it up if it works well.

Ethics aside, I was under the impression you were literally copying copyrighted content onto a little NFC tag, so that would count as piracy; but I'm overall ignorant in this regard. I think in this case, it's probably just a matter of volume of shady amiibo content that Nintendo can't keep on top of.

If we go into specifics it gets even muddier. Like, faking an Amiibo involves rewriting a NFC tag's ID fields (Think sort of a serial number of sorts), that the software uses to identify which character the amiibo belongs to, which variation, etc. Like, it's not even actual data, just an identifier. It would be like ripping a ROM header without the rest of the actual ROM, out of a game card, sort of.

Is that piracy? I mean, yes, you're not paying for a content Nintendo is selling. Is that enforceable in a trial? eeeehhh maybe? It gets muddy.

So is this one of these controllers that just have the NFC spoofing built in? I saw something like this before when looking for Pro Controller alternatives on Amazon (by the way, the answer to that is the 8bitdo SN30+ Pro, but I digress). Is this basically like those "all amiibo" controllers except it only has the Monster Hunter NFC stuff on it?

There's also AmiiPad with 857 Amiibo codes. It looks cheaply made, but somehow includes two linear actuators to support HD rumble, which is very rare for 3rd parties.

81AwNupiH7L._SL1500_.jpg

Plus it does come with these tags that, I assume, are cheap alternatives to the MH Rise figures? Basically just the data sans the figures themselves... is that legal? They've done these for years with Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Splatoon 2.

This is interesting because the most popular emulator for virtual amiibo does not work with Monster Hunter Rise after all this time. I find it really interesting that Nintendo/Capcom found a way to make it harder to spoof amiibo.

This is interesting because the most popular emulator for virtual amiibo does not work with Monster Hunter Rise after all this time. I find it really interesting that Nintendo/Capcom found a way to make it harder to spoof amiibo.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure MH Rise is a "3rd-party" amiibo, as in made externally, like the Shovel Knight amiibo line. Depends if the Shovel Knight series is in the same boat.

Back
Top Bottom