• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Darkflame Universe, an unofficial revival of LEGO Universe, just released their server source code.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

For those of you weren't a small child back in the early 2000s, Lego Universe was LEGO's attempt at making a kid-friendly MMO, released in 2010.
442119-lego-universe-macintosh-manual.jpg

I only really played it back when it was being beta tested, but i fondly remember it.
Despite the awesome concept, the game only lasted for about 2 years before LEGO shut it down. Allegedly at least partially due to how difficult it was to moderate.
We even had an employee very nearly fired for building a penis. It was on his own property, but a kid wandered into it during a kid test.
-Megan Fox, Programmer on Lego Universe
Unsurprisingly, people have been trying to revive it ever since. With this Darkflame team being one of the first to get it working, and thanks to this release, anyone with the necessary programming skills can create their own custom server for the game to connect to. Ensuring the game will be preserved for generations to come.

Also, before anyone asks. LEGO probably isn't going to have any issue with this. Considering they let a team working on a Bionicle fan-game publish their project on Steam.

They also aren't directly providing the game files, just the source. Even though the game was partially free-to-play during it's final months.

holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck

i know what i'm doing this christmas

edit: if there is like, any interest in this at all I will eagerly become the famiboards lego universe server guy

holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck

i know what i'm doing this christmas

edit: if there is like, any interest in this at all I will eagerly become the famiboards lego universe server guy

I am VERY interested on this. Like, fuck, I spent quite a bit of time playing this back then.

I never played it but I enjoy LEGO games, what was it and what should I expect now?

Back
Top Bottom