• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic CRISIS CORE –FINAL FANTASY VII– REUNION |ST| My honor, my dreams, they're yours now.

Belinda Blumenthal

Sales Director
This OT is optimised for Dark Mode.
W9UnOSq.png

tv4eRCx.png

6HDNKaT.png

GwBwoCy.png

r81LJqi.png

7rXlvk6.png

JQ1WpUB.png

Fcsg5gg.png

f90eTXg.png

eNEmjiD.png

stx5S74.png

SWKTD9G.png

Bv43RMZ.png

JS4FAfS.png

T59QGng.png

r0oTdCP.png

DT2QR85.png

riRIHAp.png

FAMIBOARDS x CRISIS CORE –FINAL FANTASY VII– REUNION
Banner image of Zack Fair, Sephiroth, and Cloud Strife letting their natural hair blow behind them freely as they gaze up at a rain specked, blue sky as the clouds above them clear.
ABOUT
CRISIS CORE –FINAL FANTASY VII– REUNION クライシス コア -ファイナルファンタジーVII- リユニオン is a remaster of the PlayStation Portable exclusive, CRISIS CORE –FINAL FANTASY VII–, the 2007 cult classic actioin RPG and prequel to FINAL FANTASY VII.
Release date: 2022.12.13 TUE
  • Nintendo Switch (720p30)
  • PlayStation 4 (1080p30) - Pro (4k30)
  • PlayStation 5 (4k50)
  • Steam (up to 4k120)
  • Xbox One (1080p30) - X (4k30)
  • Xbox Series S (1080p60) - X (4k60)
RRP $49.99 - £49.99 - €59,99 - ¥6,820
STORY
The story begins 7 years before the events of FINAL FANTASY VII and follows Zack Fair, a young and ambitious Shinra SOLDIER. Zack is tasked with tracking down a missing SOLDIER 1st Class operative named Genesis Rhapsodos. But as his adventure unfolds, he discovers the dark secrets of Shinra's experiements and the monsters they create.
CHARACTERS
  • Zack Fair: A young SOLDIER 2nd Class who works for the Shinra Electric Power Company.
  • Angeal Hewley: Zack's mentor and a 1st Class SOLDIER operative. A reliable, grounded man who is well trusted.
  • Genesis: A SOLDIER 1st Class with a unique sense of style and an appreciation for the epic poem LOVELESS.
  • Sephiroth: A legendary hero and SOLDIER 1st Class, Sephiroth possesses greater strength than most.
  • Aerith Gainsborough: A somewhat fey and mysterious girl who lives in the Sector 5 slums.
  • Cloud Strife: An introverted young man from Nibelheim who joined Shinra to be a SOLDIER operative like Sephiroth
...MORE?!
  • Cissnei: Turks' youngest member.
  • Hojo: The creator of SOLDIER.
  • Hollander: Ex-Shinra SOLDIER scientist.
  • Lazard: Director of SOLDIER.
  • Reno: A young, brash Turks agent.
  • Rude: The coolest Turks agent.
  • Tifa Lockhart: A young girl from Nibelheim.
  • Tseng: Vice Director of the Turks.
  • Yuffie Kisaragi: Wutai heiress / annoyance.
GAMEPLAY
Combat in CC REUNION melds intuitive real-time action with a command system that lets you unleash the familiar FF series magic and abilities.
By equipping materia, you will be able to use magic and abilities in battle and enhance your status. In addition, the effects of the DMW system can further enhance materia, allowing for even more powerful effects!
The Digital Mind Wave - or DMW - is unique to CRISIS CORE. Slot reels automatically spin during battle and produce various effects depending on the values aligned.
When numbers align in the DMW, it'll activate an effect corresponding to the values. Effects such as
7 7 7: Invincible (limited time)
6 6 6: Critical (limited time)
and more!
When the same images align in the DMW, you'll also get a powerful Limit Break that corresponds to the pictured character.
When the DMW enters summons mode, all the images on the reels become summons. The player can perform a Limit Break that features one of these powerful entities.
CHANGES
* The visuals have been dramatically changed:
An image on the left displays the original PSP graphics while the same scene is shown in the new version on the right.
  • The battle system has been overhauled
  • The DMW cutscenes are now skippable
  • Limit breaks can be stored for use later in the fight
  • Summons are more exciting and impactful
  • Boss attacks can be interrupted to reduce damage
  • The whole game is fully voiced
  • The soundtrack has be re-arranged
If you made it this far... thank you for reading! Enjoy!

Damn, might be the cleanest thread I've seen on here, really cool.

I'll get this game after I've finished the original and hopefully before Rebirth drops. Would love to play it on Switch but I think I'll rather play the game in 1080 60. Definitely excited tho!

Fantastic ST! I'm still kind of in shock this is finally happening after all these years, but I really am glad this game's coming out on modern devices. Can't wait to pick it up.

Fantastic ST! I'm still kind of in shock this is finally happening after all these years, but I really am glad this game's coming out on modern devices. Can't wait to pick it up.
Same, I’ve never played it so really looking forward to this. 😅 I was planning on emulating the PSP version then this got announced.

I really wanna play this, but I'm probably going to wait for a sale. 60€ for this is just a bit too much for my liking. I know and have played the OG on PSP already, so the remaster isn't quite as tempting as it possibly is for newcomers.

I really wanna play this, but I'm probably going to wait for a sale. 60€ for this is just a bit too much for my liking. I know and have played the OG on PSP already, so the remaster isn't quite as tempting as it possibly is for newcomers.
I’m debating between switch or my steam deck for this but I am waiting like you

Last time I played Crisis Core was over 10 years ago, so this will be fun to revisit. Finished Remake last night, so I’m still immersed in the world.

Looking good!

Pre-ordered, so I’m getting it this week. Don’t know if I will start this week.

Wait this is coming out this week????? Goddamn yes! Like, being off social media is a blessing, but I miss all this stuff like releasedates etc. Really looking forward to this one, also what they did with the EXCELLENT original OST!

I’m debating between switch or my steam deck for this but I am waiting like you
Yeah, that'd be my next question as well, haha. I'm probably going to pick this up on the Deck, tho -- not only do I own FF VIIR on Steam already, but I'd also like to be able to play it without dynamic resolution scaling kicking in. It'll probably be cheaper more quickly on PC as well.

Never played this & i’d never played FF7 until the remake (quickly became a favourite)
Now I’m just hoping I get my order from GAME tomorrow.
Awesome thread btw.

Yep, this is definitely Crisis Core with a Remake style paint job. Definitely not a bad thing.

Game looks incredible on the OLED, for anyone wondering. I haven’t really noticed any of the weird hair artifacts people were pointing out, but I did notice the FMVs hitching a bit.

Yup, the opening FMV did have a stutter.

Everything else has been pretty smooth. Docked the game looks pretty nice. I knew the writing would be a bit wonky, but it doesn’t take itself too seriously. Well in Zack’s case anyway.

Never played Crisis Core, but I'll have to grab this at some point. So many games, so little time. Not a bad problem to have...

I can see why this is 30fps on Switch, it does not seem to run very well on Steam Deck. 😅

Nevermind, I changed settings from High to Low to High again and now it’s running at 60fps. 🤔

Playing this now on switch handheld mode, feels surreal to be honest. The combat is simple yet so satisfying, the feedback you get while wacking mobs feels really amazing. I just hope there is some sort of tie in here to the remake

How's the game? Thinking about getting it on PS5. Loved Remake but haven't played anything else FF7.

Playing this now on switch handheld mode, feels surreal to be honest. The combat is simple yet so satisfying, the feedback you get while wacking mobs feels really amazing. I just hope there is some sort of tie in here to the remake
I don’t think there’s any new story content, but it seems like Crisis Core will be playing a bigger role in Rebirth, so it’s more of a refresher than anything.

Just beat Bahamut, that fight was tough! I'm playing on Hard mode as I found normal a bit too easy. It's interesting that Zack has i-frames on dodge in this game, I could be misremembering but I thought dodge in 7R didn't have that, or at least it was not reliable enough to be useful most of the time.

Totally forgot this was coming out in 2022. I loved FF7:R, so this is a must-play for me.

I have to admit that this is a very well done remastermake
It really looks (and partially feels/plays) like a bran new game

About 2 hours in and I'm enjoying it. It took a little bit to get past the fact that it is a PSP (it feels like a PSP game, which isn't a bad thing but my brain had to adjust).
I'm part of the fan clubs but Angeal is the best :))))

Ok, I'm reviewing the game and, as usual, I tend to go past the mere game specific contents/merits/issues
I find this project particularly interesting for many reasons

first of all, in terms of remastermake, this is a great job. I mean, visually it basically looks and feels like a brand new mid AA Switch third party project (it is a compliment); the refined combat system and the retouched OST complete a very positive picture in terms of technical aspects for what it is

in terms of pure gameplay, it offers a compelling action-ish spinoff to the series, with some obvious nod to the most modern FF action-oriented approach (the famous ATB system bonded with magic, summon etc...) and "feels" like a natural spinoff of FFVII remake, under this point of view

they also pushed a lot in terms of cinematic, always to keep the coherence with the most modern cinematic approach to the brand, and the script is not that bad, on the contrary the new main characters presented in the game are pretty nice

now, in terms of general analysis:

-the original spinoff was released in 2007 and obviously nowadays we can see that it was part of a strategy/test/long-plan to shift into this more modern, fleshy and action-oriented approach both the FF brand and specifically the FFVII sub-brand
  • it was a PSP game and it is a symbol of the dicotomy that we lived in terms of offer back in the days: it really was the "portable-side" of a cinematic/adult/cheesy/action/modern approach many softco had back in the days, VS the more family-oriented/younger&older (broader target-age approach, basically)/esxperimental/pick up&play approach the DS offered (and that many softco actually DID followed, keep in mind!)
  • it is also the evidence of how third parties still struggles to adapt their mindset and pipeline to face the revolutionary hybrid approach of the Switch and its success, how they struggles to pivot (partially at least) their development resources and pipelines toward a Nintendo hardware: it really is weird how there is almost no equivalent of this kind of project (non necessarily FF branded) for the Switch by one of the strongest and biggest third parties
  • it also is iconic to see exactly FFVII of them all, to bring to the Switch this kind of content, clearly/historically PS-oriented (we can see Crisis Core for PSP as the symbol of SE and third parties support to a Sony portable hardware), funny considering how FFVII (the original one) has been the symbol of third party escape from Nintendo, toward the brand new competitor, with its shiny CD optical support back in the days, one among the most important symbol of the PlayStation explosive success, third party-based/cinematographic-based/"adult-oriented"-based

btw, my 2 cents

At the end of Chapter 1. I'm VERY surprised by how this game looks. Like I know the architectures of this VS FF7R are very different but if that would have hit Switch looking like this, I may have played it there instead.

The action is very fun, though I may bump the difficulty to hard mode.

My only criticism isn't really a fair one; this is very much a PSP game at its (crisis) core. Certain things don't feel as streamlined as others, which may be a bit inconvenient but it's okay because it gives it an identity. Feels like a PS2 RPG in the way it's animated. Lots of KH2 vibes from it.

EDIT: Okay after Chapter 2 and the
bahamut
fight, I’m ready to throw this in with the miracle ports. Whatever this team’s art department did to get this busy of a screen going without the frame rate dipping an inch should be studied. Really crazy shit. I know it’s a PSP remaster but these visuals genuinely feel like PS4.

Last edited:
Currently at Chapter 5, 18% of the side missions done, level 25, with 9 hours in.

So far I'm liking it a lot! It does has that PSP, 2007 feeling. I don't know how to explain it tbh, it's like what people think when they think about 'very anime JRPG'.

Looking forward to replaying this when I get my copy this Christmas; haven't played it since the original PSP release years back. Between this, Tactics Ogre: Reborn, and the upcoming Persona 3 Portable it's great seeing the PSP getting a small resurgence, hopefully it will continue with remasters of Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions and Dissidia Duodecim someday.

Game's done. I liked it a lot, I never played the original and I was reading the comparisons between versions and yeah, OG CC would be a pain in the ass to play nowadays lol, so I think it's a very good remaster with a whole bunch of QoL features.

I definitely won't be trying the extra missions (I did 25%) though, it's grind of the worst kind for me.

At the end of Chapter 1. I'm VERY surprised by how this game looks. Like I know the architectures of this VS FF7R are very different but if that would have hit Switch looking like this, I may have played it there instead.

The action is very fun, though I may bump the difficulty to hard mode.

My only criticism isn't really a fair one; this is very much a PSP game at its (crisis) core. Certain things don't feel as streamlined as others, which may be a bit inconvenient but it's okay because it gives it an identity. Feels like a PS2 RPG in the way it's animated. Lots of KH2 vibes from it.

EDIT: Okay after Chapter 2 and the
bahamut
fight, I’m ready to throw this in with the miracle ports. Whatever this team’s art department did to get this busy of a screen going without the frame rate dipping an inch should be studied. Really crazy shit. I know it’s a PSP remaster but these visuals genuinely feel like PS4.
To be fair, it running at 30fps 720p is not far from the PS4/PS4 Pro/Xbox One/XBX. Those are all running at 30fps, just at different resolution (720p being lowest, of course). So it's definitely impressive.

Is level 19 too low for Ch 5 boss Angeal Penance on Hard mode? I’m struggling to do enough damage, even with Dispel it seems like the fight goes on and on!

This is a fun game, it’s a little refreshing to play a like 12-15 hour action RPG that allows you to just utterly break it’s combat. If it was 40+ hours it would get dull but just kinda hits right in that sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom