• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News ConcernedApe announces Haunted Chocolatier (now in development, similar artstyle and gameplay elements as Stardew Valley)

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
Just announced.

Note from developer:

Hey everyone,

After dedicating 10 years of my life to Stardew Valley (and counting), the time has finally come to announce my next game.

It’s called “ConcernedApe’s Haunted Chocolatier”.

Why chocolate? I’m not sure. It just kind of came to me. I think sometimes the best ideas just appear in a flash, instead of being cleverly thought out. That’s how I like to work, anyway. What’s important is the execution. And after 10 years of practice, I feel more confident than ever in being able to bring an idea to life.

Regardless, I think a lot of people like chocolate.

In Stardew Valley, the focus was more humble: living off the land, growing food, and connecting to the people and nature around you. However, with my next game, I wanted to explore more fantastical possibilities… experiences that take you beyond the ordinary. That’s where magical haunted ghost chocolate comes in.

Chocolate represents that which is delightful. The haunted castle represents the allure of the unknown. The ghosts represent the imprint of the past. All of these things are important. However, don’t think for a moment that, because this game features ghosts in a haunted castle, it is an evil or negative game. On the contrary, I intend for this game to be positive, uplifting and life-affirming. However, if Stardew Valley mostly channeled the energy of the sun, Haunted Chocolatier channels the energy of the moon. Both are vital.

More important than all that, I just want to make a fun game.

Now, you might be scratching your head, wondering exactly what type of game this is. I’m not sure how best to describe it. It’s evolving organically as I develop it, so I’m not sure where it will go. But at its core, the gameplay loop involves gathering ingredients, making chocolate, and running a chocolate shop. Of course, there’s a lot more to the game than that, but I don’t want to get too deep into at this early stage, partly because I don’t want to be tied down to any particular concept of what the game is.

So far, I’ve been having fun working on this game. There are so many possibilities. With Stardew Valley, I felt somewhat constrained, because I was working within an established tradition. I don’t regret that at all, but there’s always been a part of me that wanted to go “unleashed”. I believe this will be a good opportunity, but I haven’t even gotten to the good stuff yet. I’ve been mostly working on the “meat and potatoes” of the game so far. But what really brings a game to life is the spice, the sauce. And I haven’t really gotten to the sauce yet. That’s coming.

Anyway, this is all largely talk at this point. While the video I put together may look like the game is at an advanced stage of development, there is still a ton of stuff to do. And the way I work, things often don’t come together until the final moments. I tend to work with a “vertical slice” approach, and so it’s easy to put together some video that looks like a finished game. But there is a ton of content I still need to make. So, please understand that it will be a while before this game is done. I’m going to be working on it as much as I can, though.

Thanks for reading all this,

-Ape

Last edited:
H Y P E

It looks so good, the music is ethereal, shame about no release date/window but it must be soon with gameplay already!

Knowing the dev this game is at least a year off. On the website he even hints that this game is far off.
It looks great, but honestly, it also just looks like Stardew Valley with a new setting.
It'll catch people's eyes though. Same reason why other devs have literally ripped off his design lol. This could be set in the same world as Stardew. Can't see why not.

It's pretty much Stardew Valley 2, and I'm all for it!

It'll catch people's eyes though. Same reason why other devs have literally ripped off his design lol. This could be set in the same world as Stardew. Can't see why not.

This isn't a bad thing, I bet people will love it. I just hoped for something a bit more fresh and out there, but that is just my personal take on this.

I'll buy this the second it's out. Hope it comes out on all platforms Stardew Valley is currently out on at the same time.

This looks more like Stardew's mines fleshed out into a full title with a storefront sim replacing all the farming stuff rather than an actual sequel.

And frankly I'm here for it. More Stardew-verse games.

Seems like more Stardew, which I am always wanting... so yeah pretty hype news.

laughs in Hollow Knight Silksong gameplay in 2019
Oof 🙃
Knowing the dev this game is at least a year off. On the website he even hints that this game is far off.

Ahh, yeah I see now. Of course when I tried to click the link the overloaded traffic must have crashed it, but nevertheless it looks promising and I'm sure it'll be feature packed at launch with plenty of free updates regardless.

Already the GOTY of whatever year it comes out in. Can't wait!

My hope is that with this game the "I can only do so much in one day and time progresses" is done away with. Stardew Valley would be a much better game if I didn't have the anxiety of worrying about fitting in everything in one day.

After spending so much time on Stardew Valley, I'm genuinely happy that ConcernedApe is tackling something new. I loved Stardew Valley enough to... uh... basically buy it on any platform it released on short of iOS, so I'm really excited to see them try a new game concept.

Holy shit what a surprise!!! This looks incredible! Stardew Valley is one of my favorite games ever, can't wait for this!

And oh my god that music!!! <3

My hope is that with this game the "I can only do so much in one day and time progresses" is done away with. Stardew Valley would be a much better game if I didn't have the anxiety of worrying about fitting in everything in one day.
You don't have to do that though. There's no time limit.

I'm so ready for a followup to Stardew. I don't think it'll be controversial in this thread (or in general really) to say it's one of the best games in the last decade and I can't wait to see what ideas ConcernedApe has for a new game.

I'm so ready for a followup to Stardew. I don't think it'll be controversial in this thread (or in general really) to say it's one of the best games in the last decade and I can't wait to see what ideas ConcernedApe has for a new game.
It's definitely a game that stood out to me last gen so I can't say I disagree. Now, I won't lie, for as much as I want this game, it does essentially look like a Stardew Valley redux for now so I'm hoping we'll see more to give it a bit more of its own identity

Everybody loves Stardew Valley for the most part (except those gamerbros that like COD and Madden and nothing else). That's pretty rare to see nowadays.

Looks really interesting. I'm glad he's not going for the direct sequel route. Looks similar but not the exact same.

Looks a bit too similar to Stardew Valley for me but the idea sounds really cool. Don't know if I would play it but I'll stay tuned.

EDIT: Obviously when I said it looks too similar to Stardew Valley I didn't mean gameplay-wise.

Last edited:
I'm ready, baby.

I didn't think his new game would be so similar to SV, but I'm in. I've been thinking if he would ever make a sequel and it would be a shame if I never got a new farm sim game to play (SV kinda ruined HM for me, I just can't go back), so this is exactly what I wanted but I didn't know. Super excited!

This looks great, eager to try it whenever he finishes it. In for the shop management especially. 👀

Looks great! I still need to check out Stardew Valley. I feel like Animal Crossing still fills my relaxing town game needs tho.
Yes, yes you do. If you can play the game without trying to min/maxing then you'll have a lot of fun. It's just like Animal Crossing in which you can play at your own pace. The game drip feeds you its content very well.

I almost wish I could experience it for the first time again.

Day one. Day one on ANY given system.

Stardew Valley is one of my favourite games of all time. Day Zero. I already tried to throw money on the screen.

But the real million dollar question is...

What comes out first, Haunted Chocolatier or Witchbrook?

Get. Stardew. It's literally 10 bucks.

Yes, yes you do. If you can play the game without trying to min/maxing then you'll have a lot of fun. It's just like Animal Crossing in which you can play at your own pace. The game drip feeds you its content very well.

I almost wish I could experience it for the first time again.

I can totally get that. But Stardew Valley is still worth checking out because they're completely different experiences
Damn, I guess I gotta get Stardew Valley 😅 Ok, it’ll be the next game I pick up on Switch!

Damn, I guess I gotta get Stardew Valley 😅 Ok, it’ll be the next game I pick up on Switch!
It'll be one of the best gaming decision you ever make.

I wish I could play the game for the first time. I wish haunted chocolaterie was here already.

I’ll be there day one, but I’m a bit concerned about the game loop. Gathering ingredients by fighting, making chocolate, selling chocolate. That seems fine. But the combat is looking almost the same as Stardew Valley, and I wouldn’t say the combat there is good. I don’t know if putting it front and center is good, unless he can improve it a whole lot.

Still, I’m always gonna give him a chance because of how masterfully done Stardew Valley is.

Hope you have a good time! A word of advice, don't feel compelled to do everything all at once or feel guilty for looking something up

counterpoint, there are far better ways to spend 10 bucks on Switch
Oh well what would you recommend instead? I'd be down for another good game

This looks fantastic. Makes me want to go back to Stardew but the Animal Crossing update is so soon.

This looks really awesome so far. Glad he stuck with the same art style as it’s kind of iconic and will draw in fans of Stardew. Day 1 purchase for me when it comes to Switch. I can only hope it has multiplayer baked in this time, I know how hard it was to add it in to Stardew after the fact.

might I recommend celeste??

okay so I don't have as many recommendations as I thought. ten dollars is really, really cheap

edit: celeste isn't even ten dollars damn it
Lol I have played and beaten Celeste so no dice there 😅

Oh yeah, it's rather surprising how dirt cheap this game actually is. Unless you're buying a game on sale, it's gonna be tough finding something better for the same price

The guy's a millionaire and there's no pressure to make this game, so I'm excited to see what it's going to be like. Stardew Valley is one of my favourite games ever. It's music makes me nostalgic.

So after Harvest Moon, they're making their take on Recettear. Nice.
Wasn't expecting their next game to look and plays that much like Stardew though. Not a bad thing, I was just surprised.
I just saw their tweet "some screenshots" first, out of context, and thought they announced brand new content for Stardew Valley and wondered when they would finally announce their next game that they have been teasing forever ago lol.

Wasn't really hype at the beginning of the trailer when it focused on combat (at first I wondered if it would be more like Rune Factory this time, and combat isn't really what I like in those farming games, it especially doesn't interest me at all in Stardew), but then when they showed that you run the chocolate shop I thought it was cool.
I like Recettear, I'm sure they'll pick all the good stuff and heavily expand on it while getting rid of the annoying stuff, like they did with Harvest Moon -> Stardew Valley.

I'm on board. Have spent a lot of hours on Stardew Valley across four platforms and getting something brand new from the creator is very exciting

Back
Top Bottom