• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Come up with a weird, absurd (or completely reasonable) Nintendo spinoff

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Inspired by the mention of Xenoblade Golf in another thread, I figured that the time for us to get our heads together and come up with strange spinoffs for Nintendo games is now. Whatever they may be and whichever franchise you pick: What are some hypothetical spinoffs that would seem too insane, absurd or out there to ever come to fruition? Or maybe, in some cases, strange ideas that might actually work?

My contribution to this thread is a game I think makes itself.

KaCJz2m.jpg

The idea of a Zelda Battle Royale is strange and weird for sure, but it's still one I personally think could work, Nintendo's online infrastructure notwithstanding. The Breath of the Wild map is large, larger than any PUBG map, and large maps are a staple of Battle Royale games. The physics engine and complex, intricate gameplay systems of Breath of the Wild could make for some wildly creative and unexpected encounters between players. As the Sheikah Barrier shrinks, players will have to resort to ingenious, cunning strategies to face off against 49 other players, and emerge victorious.

8YlNbrw.jpg

What are your picks and ideas? What are some weird concepts that could match Xenoblade Golf?

reasonable: nintendo picross. like sega picross, but with nintendo IPs

weird/absurd:
splatoon turn based SRPG. think mario + rabbids but it's splatoon + splatoon

Tingle farming sim: stardew with tingle as the main and zelda-only characters.

From the team that brought you the Nintendo DS classic, Kimi no Tame nara Shineru, it's:
Metroid Dating Sim!

A visual novel where you play a space pirate lookin for slice-of-life love in the science lab. Halfway through the game the Metroids escape because you did something dumb, and things get really tsuntsun! But you can't let that stop you from trying to find ~science love.~
As you get closer to the end of the game, rumors start spreading that the bounty hunter is coming! And not Sylux, we're talking the bounty hunter! The impending doom heats up the social atmosphere even more, giving you a real challenge! Pick and court the love of your lab before every one of your options is either munched dry by the Metroids or plasma'd by the bounty hunter!

2528851302_9e1219eff1.jpg

Nintendo had the idea themselves, but they're cowards and used like a April fools joke.

tumblr_onp51eQSLV1s2z1y6o3_r1_1280.jpg

Earthbound-style game in the space with Ashley and her friends.

Since Dread's final boss, I've been thinking about a Metroid spinoff about the Chozo. Basically just a Chozo power trip, where you conquer a planet.
From the team that brought you the Nintendo DS classic, Kimi no Tame nara Shineru, it's:
Metroid Dating Sim!
Ngl when I read the title I thought it actually was a silly joke, but you sold me on it. When does it come out?

This is mostly weird in that they have so many characters to choose from, but I want a full game about a Pokio from Super Mario Odyssey. Think Dragon Quest Rocket Slime, but it’s a platformer / adventure game about a Pokio. The writing can be similar to the Paper Mario games even though it’s not the biggest focus.

This is mostly weird in that they have so many characters to choose from, but I want a full game about a Pokio from Super Mario Odyssey. Think Dragon Quest Rocket Slime, but it’s a platformer / adventure game about a Pokio. The writing can be similar to the Paper Mario games even though it’s not the biggest focus.
Nah, I've had a similar thought. Pokio has a neat little moveset that you could easily build a game out of.

I've been saying it for years.

Captain Falcon character action game. Big action fights and car driving. Fighting on cars. Collect bounties. Falcon Punch dudes. It's so obvious.

Secondary idea:
Metroid survival horror where you play as Zero Suit Samus. All the normal enemy types are suddenly pretty scary without your suit.

One more for me, I’ve always wondered about what else you could do with the Super Smash Bros cast besides a fighting game. I’d love to see the characters in a turn based RPG setting. I want interactions between the cast to be a big focus and it must of course include a fishing minigame somehow.

I would be all over a BotW Battle spin off. Would be absolutely amazing.

I don't know if it is but for some fans It may sound absolutely crazy:

I think a Splatoon 3rd person Metroidvania has a lot of potential of being crazy good. Splatoon has the mechanics, the weapons, the bosses, a unique world....

Combining all of these in an interconnected world with shortcuts, upgrades, lock and key systems and so on....it would be literally a dream come true for me.

Super Mario 3D Band

It's like Rock Band, but Mario music. All the instruments are shaped like powerups, the guitar is a fire flower, drums a bunch of mushrooms etc.

BotW Battle Royale does sound amazing, especially if you make it more survival focused with thunderstorms and monsters randomly spawning in.

My spinoff idea: Pokemon Party. Imagine those Stadium minigames, now make more of them and pretty it up and package it and then sell it 60 bucks a pop. I would buy that so fast.

Also thought of a Dillon MOBA and a Splatoon Tactics RPG.

splatoon turn based SRPG. think mario + rabbids but it's splatoon + splatoon
I’ve thought about a Splatoon Tactics too. Even had the idea of retaining the ink mechanic by letting you use less action points and climb stuff when traversing your color of ink. And of course making Marina an important plot character. Among other things.

Paper Zelda.

You can use any gameplay style, I'm not picky.
I’ve also thought of Paper Zelda, but I thought of having Zelda be the princess who has to save Link’s butt. Action-command system for her spells and of course she can pick up allies like Gorons and Zora to help her on her quest.

I feel like you can make a great 3D adventure game using most of the captures in Super Mario Odyssey. Still blows my mind how good each of them feels to control.

Captain Falcon character action game. Big action fights and car driving. Fighting on cars. Collect bounties. Falcon Punch dudes. It's so obvious.

Secondary idea:
Metroid survival horror where you play as Zero Suit Samus. All the normal enemy types are suddenly pretty scary without your suit.
Both brilliant ideas. Especially the Metroid one, that sounds dope.

Bowser's Parenting Training. It's like Brain Training but with exercises related to parenting featuring Bowser instead of Kawashima.

Ngl when I read the title I thought it actually was a silly joke, but you sold me on it. When does it come out?
#TeamJanuary

I've been saying it for years.

The plot could be like the newer Fast and Furious movies where the race car driver inexplicably becomes an international spy who has to save the world through street racing. 🤘

A Star Fox racing game. You could call it Star Fox Grand Prix
Ya know what...

Yes.

Super Mario Gridiron Football.

I mean, you have the Chargin’ Chucks right there. Cast them as the linemen, then you have the standard Mario roster for the skill positions (QB, running back, receivers/tight ends, and on defense the safeties and outside tackle positions).

In one of my last Tanooki podcasts (its in german) we discussed a idea i'd like to share with you:

Imagine a mix of Metroid, Batman Arkham Series and Blade Runner in third person, where you play as Samus (now being a real bounty hunter), searching for a mysterious drug called "drain" in the undergrund of a futuristic city. You'll discover that the Galactic Federation is somehow connected to this mess...

The city is an open world, where you can choose your next mission/quest free, but with some linear guidance to follow the storyline. As you progress, you can use the grapple beam to swing through the city, or in some cases even fly with your spaceship, for fast traveling.

Game is called Metroid...Crime! 😆

StarFox RPG with the gameplay style of Mass Effect. Make decision involving the crew. Like chosing not to save slippy. Or even decide to join Wolf's crew instead.

F-Zero Ride Service. Crazy taxi gameplay meets F-Zero speeds. Get better ratings from passengers if you don't bump, crash, and boost at appropriate times. Samurai Goroh is rival ride service driver that tries to steal customers and mess up your routes.

Pikmin 4X game where you help Pikmin build civilization to survive the Bulborb invasions.

in light of the Naive Angel mode in Bayo 3:

How about a Sex Ed game set in the Bayonetta Universe?

It's a meme at this point but a Captain Falcon God Hand game would be pretty spectacular.

Star Fox dating sim. tbh not sure if that's absurd or not.

Reasonable #1: A "Link & Zelda" game that plays like the Mario & Luigi series, that is, turn-based battles with real-time elements that let you do more damage or dodge/block enemy attacks.

Reasonable #2: Fire Emblem fighting game.

Star Fox: Bioweapon Blitz. A Monster Hunter-styled game.

Fox and pals have plenty of experience taking down a variety of bioweapons, hulking mechs, giant brains, pissed off natural wildlife and everything else in between. So, why not focus on that, while still utilizing the transforming mecha combat angle from SF2/Zero?

Pick your pilot (from StarFox, StarWolf and others), pick your ride (Arwing, Landmaster and more), further customize with a slew of upgrades you unlock as you take down bigger and strong threats, and team up with up to 3 other players as you keep the Lylat System safe!

Metroid: Ridley's Party Madness - board game in space in the Metroid Prime Universe. Beat Ridley at his own game and he'll stop coming back to remind Samus that he killed her parents.

Fortune Street: Furukawa Edition - "Think you know better than me? Prove it in this new board game in which every roll of the dice could spell Ninten-DOOM for your favorite company!"

I've pitched this to Fami before. Evidently Nintendo wasn't listening. Here's your second chance:

2566-631-315-8888bb32f29fa7664e54b4a01dd1b4ae2612d6a6.jpg

STEEL DIVER 99

Revive video gaming's premiere contemplative first person shooter franchise as a battle royal to bolster the Nintendo Switch Online service. Ninety-nine subs meet in the middle of an ocean, only one Boot emerges intact and alive. The final two hide and seek and ambush among the wrecks of the other 97. Winning and playing unlocks additional submarines, paint jobs and crew mates.

This falls in the completely reasonable category. Come on, Nintendo, be reasonable and do it!

I've pitched this to Fami before. Evidently Nintendo wasn't listening. Here's your second chance:

2566-631-315-8888bb32f29fa7664e54b4a01dd1b4ae2612d6a6.jpg

STEEL DIVER 99

Revive video gaming's premiere contemplative first person shooter franchise as a battle royal to bolster the Nintendo Switch Online service. Ninety-nine subs meet in the middle of an ocean, only one Boot emerges intact and alive. The final two hide and seek and ambush among the wrecks of the other 97. Winning and playing unlocks additional submarines, paint jobs and crew mates.

This falls in the completely reasonable category. Come on, Nintendo, be reasonable and do it!
Your idea is awesome, just Giles Goddard seems to be pissed by Nintendo lately 🤗

I've always wanted a turn based Kirby RPG in a similar vein to Paper Mario. The copy abilities would basically be treated like classes. Kirby could swallow enemies in battle but it would work like catching Pokemon where you have to get their health to critical, and then there's a chance they break out.

Eating foes would do two things. It would act as the analyze/tattle option and you get the info on the enemy and future encounters with the same enemy would have a healthbar displayed (Kirby gains awareness of his foes' behavior and strengths by how they feel on his taste buds). And It would count toward gaining experience in the class/copy ability that the enemy is associated with. This type of experience would be invisible, but when Kirby swallows enough fire based enemies, a lightbulb would pop up over his head (very SaGa like), and the player would be informed that Kirby has now unlocked the Fire Kirby class to use.

You would still get normal experience as well for each battle whether you ate your opponents or not and at level up could pick between upgrading Kirby's health, ability casting resource, or some equivalent to badge points - maybe get more passive skill slots, or just steal PM's badge system because it's the best.

And of course, you'd have a bunch of colorful party members with fun and cute designs and their own movesets. I would probably stick with the Paper Mario thing of making it mostly original characters but staples like Dedede and Meta Knight would still be present as NPCs.

Either that or Xenoblade Maker.

Ever since Ubisoft started doing projects featuring Nintendo IPs I have been hoping for an Assassin's Creed-style game starring Zelda as Sheik. It will surely never happen, but I can dream.

I want a Platinum Games / Monolith soft game. Action RPG, with Monolith building the world with Platinum Games combat.
Not sure of completely reasonable, but I do think it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Next to Warcraft 4 - this is the wettest videogame dream I have.

I want a Platinum Games / Monolith soft game. Action RPG, with Monolith building the world with Platinum Games combat.
Not sure of completely reasonable, but I do think it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Next to Warcraft 4 - this is the wettest videogame dream I have.
You just described my wish for Nier 3.

I've always wanted a turn based Kirby RPG in a similar vein to Paper Mario. The copy abilities would basically be treated like classes. Kirby could swallow enemies in battle but it would work like catching Pokemon where you have to get their health to critical, and then there's a chance they break out.

Eating foes would do two things. It would act as the analyze/tattle option and you get the info on the enemy and future encounters with the same enemy would have a healthbar displayed (Kirby gains awareness of his foes' behavior and strengths by how they feel on his taste buds). And It would count toward gaining experience in the class/copy ability that the enemy is associated with. This type of experience would be invisible, but when Kirby swallows enough fire based enemies, a lightbulb would pop up over his head (very SaGa like), and the player would be informed that Kirby has now unlocked the Fire Kirby class to use.

You would still get normal experience as well for each battle whether you ate your opponents or not and at level up could pick between upgrading Kirby's health, ability casting resource, or some equivalent to badge points - maybe get more passive skill slots, or just steal PM's badge system because it's the best.

And of course, you'd have a bunch of colorful party members with fun and cute designs and their own movesets. I would probably stick with the Paper Mario thing of making it mostly original characters but staples like Dedede and Meta Knight would still be present as NPCs.

Either that or Xenoblade Maker.
I think in like 2019 or something in one of the GameExplain prediction Jon predicted a Kirby RPG and I've been sold on the idea ever since. Really like the copy mechanic/class idea here too

Kinda surprised it hasn't already happened yet, Kirby is basically a JRPG protagonist already. Childlike, uses the power of friendship to slay gods, can wield abnormally large swords.

Pokémon Trainer sports management sim. The player is in charge of a "Pokémon League" and must spend their Pokédollars wisely to recruit skilled Trainers and invest in the Pokémon they use in battle to bring fame and fortune to their League.

Pokémon Trainer sports management sim. The player is in charge of a "Pokémon League" and must spend their Pokédollars wisely to recruit skilled Trainers and invest in the Pokémon they use in battle to bring fame and fortune to their League.
Hoooooly shit.

Back
Top Bottom