• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News classic FMV adventure game "The 7th Guest" is getting a real-time 3D remake for VR headsets.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

this, alongside Myst (which has had multiple real-time versions, one pre-VR and post-VR.) were the big games built for CD-ROM back when they first launched. with Microsoft's CEO of the time Bill Gates reportedly calling it "the new standard in interactive entertainment".

the original game, alongside it's sequel The 11th Hour. have been readily re-released over the past few years (there's even a Switch port) but this is the first time it's broken out of the confines of pre-rendered CGI.
there's also a semi-official (they're legally able to sell it, for one.) 3rd installment released back in 2019. The 13th Doll.

I think it's kind of interesting how games like this were first a good fit for early CD-ROM and also now a second life as VR showpieces. In both cases a series of varied puzzles with an interesting enough narrative and setting that isn't heavy on action work.

I love Myst, but I never actually played this one. It looks pretty cool in VR, I have to say.

Wow, super cool. Looks like a remake basically. I don't remember any of those scenes or puzzles from the OG game.

Not feeling it to be honest. What made the original great was the campiness set against (for the time) impressive backgrounds. Also, the original Stauf can't be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom