• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Cities: Skylines II Annnounced, Releasing This Year (Edit: Out now!)

I'm quite surprised to hear this, honestly I thought they'd just keep making DLC and updates for Cities Skylines, almost like Minecraft, or maybe Euro/American Truck. I feel it's gonna be pretty hard to make a successor that can outshine the first game considering the how much content it has, both official and unofficial.

The first game is amazing, but I hope they can balance better the level of customization without overcomplicating things. Sometimes it felt like I needed a degree on traffic engineering just to have my city have a regular functioning traffic lol And I do happen to have a degree in urban planning, mind you, but I just could not build a city that wasn't complete chaos after a certain size. Although I suppose that's how real life cities are, isn't it.

I'll also wait to get it cheaper in like 5 years. I regret buying it when I did, with no expansions for full price. It's deeply discounted now and you can get it with a bunch of expansions.

Last edited:
I‘m getting a bit Simcity 2013 vibes from this trailer. But it‘s only CGI, so let‘s hope gameplay will be good. I‘m really hyped and excited that it will come out already 2023. Cities Skylines is my most played game on steam (3400 hours). With TOTK and this it could end up being one of the best gaming years ever for me.

Announcing this on the 10th anniversary of SimCity 2013’s disastrous launch is one of the best subtle corporate trolling jobs ever.

And then they had the absolute chutzpah to announce they’ve got a The Sims competitor in the wings.

Perfection.

If they port this to Successor, I hope they keep at it. They dropped the support for Cities Skylines instead of patching it after people complained about framerate. Still, it's great to have it on a portable system. Such a gigantic leap from Nintendo DS's Sim City.

Announcing this on the 10th anniversary of SimCity 2013’s disastrous launch is one of the best subtle corporate trolling jobs ever.

And then they had the absolute chutzpah to announce they’ve got a The Sims competitor in the wings.

Perfection.

Where is The Sims 5 anyway? That has to be the longest time between entries ever.

Achievements have dropped early already. Disasters and seasons will be in the base game. It also seems like they are going to make the differences between poor and rich neighborhoods more obvious. Kinda saw that in the CG trailer but the rat infestation achievement seems to confirm that.

Where is The Sims 5 anyway? That has to be the longest time between entries ever.
Project Rene. It is quite a ways away.

Achievements have dropped early already
I really like that some of the achievements seem to have a transport /train focus (the American cities focus and not showing any public transport in the trailer got me a bit worried) but this is by far the most exiting one:
You Little Stalker!Follow a citizen's lifepath from childhood to old age.

I really like that some of the achievements seem to have a transport /train focus (the American cities focus and not showing any public transport in the trailer got me a bit worried) but this is by far the most exiting one:
This reminds me of being able to tag residents in SimTower / The Tower and follow them around. That was fun.

Must be soonish if it already has an achievement list, so I’m surprised that there’s no date yet.

Super excited for this though, Cities Skylines is incredible and I have faith that they can make this even better.

I assume they're sticking with unity. I hope they take advantage of unity's cpu advancements for better performance

Yeah that's pretty peculiar. I wonder if you can input people into your city and just see how they do. Maybe useful for twitch integration? I'm definitely offbase cause it's probably just a little thing like shoptroll mentioned lol.
Must be soonish if it already has an achievement list, so I’m surprised that there’s no date yet.

Super excited for this though, Cities Skylines is incredible and I have faith that they can make this even better.
Yeah I assume they're shooting for a fall release.

I am both over the moon with this announcement and devastated. I had plans to actually accomplish things this year...

That gives me some ActRaiser vibes (obviously not gameplay-wise). Pretty cool idea

Didn't Remastered JUST come out?

I enjoy Cities: Skylines a lot as a game but the release strategy leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The original and its dropped support on Switch. Remastered and 2 coming out in the same year. Remastered not including the DLC, and moreover, not even having all the DLC available at launch. Then there's the insane number of, and price, of the DLCs. 15 dollars for pedestrianised streets? Really?

I think the game is fairly well designed at the core but honestly, I think I'm fine sticking with base game Remastered until the sun implodes.

I started up the original Cities: Skylines just now, and when making a new map, the loading bar went backwards, like a couple times. I've never seen ANYTHING do that ever.

I started up the original Cities: Skylines just now, and when making a new map, the loading bar went backwards, like a couple times. I've never seen ANYTHING do that ever.
Not even the Windows 95 file copy/move/delete progress bar?

Ive owned Cities on Xbox since the start and got DLC there, but still annoyed at how it was just dumped on switch, never fixed. Even got a retail release that I bought. They should've mentioned beforehand that switch wont get dlc.

Game is still unity, as there was some word going around that it was UE5

This is shocking, especially after the City Planner Plays video and some hope for Lumen lighting.

Also, after looking into it, I'm shocked at how few hours I have logged on Steam - only 331. I certainly thought that count was higher.

One of the best things of the past decade, of these shitty companies doing the "Live Service" model, with barely functioning games, only to get lambasted from the community, and better alternatives came out that completely took their market share, had raging success, and left those series in the dust.

Simulation fans really are fantastic consumers:

Harvest Moon - > Stardew Valley
Sims City - > City Skylines
Zoo Tycoon - > planet zoo
Rollercoaster Tycoon - > planet coaster

Then we even had even more niches open up in the Sim genre too.

I had to stop playing the first game early on because, like most simulator games that I have played, it is very easy to get sucked in and lost track of time lol.

This is shocking, especially after the City Planner Plays video and some hope for Lumen lighting.
is that the video covering the reveal trailer? it might have been outsourced and that outsourcing studio use UE5 for it. it's becoming more common these days as UE gets better for production

Unity is getting up there. kinda embarrasing that a big Unity game has to rely on UE5 like that, lol

is that the video covering the reveal trailer? it might have been outsourced and that outsourcing studio use UE5 for it. it's becoming more common these days as UE gets better for production
That does make sense, especially as he cited a UE Store stock asset and that could definitively have been used by a trailer house, especially as the trailer is earmarked "Not in-game footage"

Tried so hard to get into the fist one and I couldn’t. I was very disappointed.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone is picking this up. I'm a bit tempted, but I'm not sure if I'm so tempted that I couldn't just play the first game with the DLC I already have.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone is picking this up. I'm a bit tempted, but I'm not sure if I'm so tempted that I couldn't just play the first game with the DLC I already have.
heard the performance was dog shit like the devs stated. so I would hold of until they get patches up

heard the performance was dog shit like the devs stated. so I would hold of until they get patches up
Yeah the Steam reviews are pretty dour from the looks of it. I’ll hold off for the time being.

it's really a natural conclusion to things, completing the circle of discourse.

the first game owes it popularity to EA whiffing Simcity 2013 and leaving a blank hole to be filled in the City Simulation genre.
so the team messing up (initially, it'll almost certainly get patched up over time like previous incidents) the second time around was always going to be a possibility.

If they port this to Successor, I hope they keep at it. They dropped the support for Cities Skylines instead of patching it after people complained about framerate. Still, it's great to have it on a portable system. Such a gigantic leap from Nintendo DS's Sim City.
I am still salty at NintendoLife for their overly critical review of the first one on Switch. That game deserved to sell better and had it done so the planned support would have continued.

Waiting for the patches. And hoping they can port this to Switch 2
I'm sure they CAN.

I'm definitely not certain they WILL.

I'm a filthy console only player from day 1. Not that I don't have a PC that can run CS1 and a copy on Steam!

I just... Find it more fun on console, and it's coming to Game Pass, so, I'll just wait for the Xbox release. Plus, by time that happens, hopefully they've worked out the kinks with performance.

I played it for a few hours on Tuesday and yesterday. From my first impression I think overall it would be a really good game if it wasn‘t for the performance issues and some really bad visuals.

The game runs around 30fps at best. Though I get slowdowns when I move or rotate the camera too fast. Also if I accelerate time the game dosen‘t get to 3 times the speed because the simulation can‘t keep up. To me it dosen‘t seem buggy in a major way and I only got a crash once at the very beginning of my 6-7 hours with it. My city is still fairly small and I can imagine that performance will get worse when it gets bigger. Though I can still tweak the settings quite a bit, I have certain graphic features on high. I play it on my Laptop with a RTX 2080 Super MaxQ 8GB VRAM and 32GB RAM btw.

For the gameplay, the Core Elements and Progression are much better than the first game IMO. It seems like that it is a bit more guided at the beginning, like how it handles demand or when a traffic accident happens, which I think is good for understanding the inner workings of the Simulation better and I don‘t think it‘d be distracting each time starting a city.

I really like the radio, they actually integrated it in an more useful way, it really informs you about your city and the conversations of the hosts are entertaining for now at least. The Milestone and XP-Unlock System are nicely integrated and enhance the gameplay. My absolute highlight are the streets, trains etc. You are much more free in what you can do.

Visually I like the game from far away and at certain moments but overall it looks really ugly, sometimes even worse than the first game. It seems like everything has a grey filter. Many assets seem to miss some texture at least. The scale of certain buildings like the school is off to me. Streets have some kind of weird noise texture when you zoom in and it is very buggy to the point that sometimes everything gets this noise. Local streets are very ugly and there seem to be missing animations for parks, playgrounds, school etc. You see way less people on the street. Some of those are of course details but they add to the atmosphere.

What I Iike less during gameplay and I think got worse are the Infographs. I don‘t get them. Also I hate how the handle bus lines and stations separate now.

Overall I‘d say the game is fun, more so than the first one in vanilla (maybe because I already played it that often) and there is a lot of potential. If you like CS1 without mods and can look past performance issues I‘d recommend to buy it now, otherwise I‘d wait.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom