• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition |ST| A Jinx From A Lynx

Who is your guide into Viper Manor?

• Guile

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Nikki

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Pierre

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are there issues with the Switch version or something? I'm a little out of the loop, just looked at a couple reviews but they seem good
no. the game overall has framedrops on all platforms like the original release. that's causing a bit of a stir. only the Switch version got a day-1 patch that addressed some of those to improve things.

no. the game overall has framedrops on all platforms like the original release. that's causing a bit of a stir. only the Switch version got a day-1 patch that addressed some of those to improve things.
I think the performance should be better because, you know, modern hardware and all…

…but…

I also can’t believe how little tolerance people have for anything that isn’t technically excellent. The performance isn’t great, but I’ve seen suggestions that it is “God awful” or “unplayable”. These folks would have languished in the PSX/N64 era.

Been playing a little bit of Radical Dreamers and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying what is basically a text adventure with some pictures.

Also I've heard people say the version of the "Gale" battle theme is better in RD but honestly I disagree. But then again, I always liked the CC version.

Wrapped up Viper Manor this morning. It was fun to try out Nikki's route in! Again, pretty positive I've never done it before. The little gimmick of getting pollen from the flowers and leading the right creature back to clear the way was fun. Really like the look and OST for the Shadow Forest too. Here's a couple shots (last two in spoilers in case you haven't finished Viper Manor yet):

XGXM6Ij.jpg

stQbtNh.jpg

8oYbFyD.jpg

Ryjd14N.jpg

ZJuLUcD.jpg

I forgot to mention something that’s never happened to me before this playthrough; Serge got the Sprain status effect just as the party made it to Viper Manor, which makes you move slowly outside of battle. I didn’t have anything to heal it up, though! It kept making me laugh to think of a daring heist starting out with an ankle sprain and having to hobble the rest. 😂

The fight with Marcy seemed to clear it.

Wrapped up Viper Manor this morning. It was fun to try out Nikki's route in! Again, pretty positive I've never done it before. The little gimmick of getting pollen from the flowers and leading the right creature back to clear the way was fun. Really like the look and OST for the Shadow Forest too. Here's a couple shots (last two in spoilers in case you haven't finished Viper Manor yet):

XGXM6Ij.jpg

stQbtNh.jpg

8oYbFyD.jpg

Ryjd14N.jpg

ZJuLUcD.jpg
I'm starting the game up today and I'm planning on trying a different route this time. I think I've picked Guile literally every time I've played the game before

I accidentally let Kid die after Magil explicitly told me not to make the same mistake as him and now I feel terrible.

By the way I didn't know Radical Dreamers also had multiple endings.

I forgot that Serge’s profile name is literally “silent protagonist”, lol

The speed-up function for battles makes them SO much better. I'm also finding I don't remember nearly as much of what happens in this game as I thought I did, mostly just the bigger sequences stand out.

Sorry but that aqua border just looks weird and awkward in all the stills I've seen. I'll gladly take the black with gray dithering border of NSO over that.
Oh in the stills? You don't have the game itself yet?
Okay then there's still hope for there being different border options. I hope

Oh in the stills? You don't have the game itself yet?
Okay then there's still hope for there being different border options. I hope
I still have my PS1 copy if that's what you're asking ;)

But no, I'm holding out for that sweet sweet physical edition. I guess I'm just going to go ahead and rebuy most of my PS1 library on Switch 😂

Maybe I'm just weird, but I barely even noticed the border at all after the very first time I started the game. Doesn't really register with me when I'm actually playing.

Unless I missed something, there does not appear to be an option to change or toggle the borders, either in-game or on the title screen. Although I agree that an minute after I start playing I don’t notice them at all, still a bummer! I’d switch them to all black if I could.

You cannot turn the borders off or change them in any way (on consoles).

You can only make them smaller by changing the game display to zoom in or commit the cardinal gaming sin and play it in stretched fullscreen, which should be actually illegal.

Okay, I bought it because I'm a sucker.

I sort of wish I'd gone for the Switch version, but I trust Switch ports even less than Square Enix ports.

I started Radical Dreamers tonight. Wanted to share some thoughts after my first run and like five minutes into my second. Major spoilers if you want to go in blind.

As someone else mentioned on page one, I also had Kid die the first time I fought Lynx. I reloaded my save and managed to live this time, but Kid and Magil both left Serge behind ultimately after using the Time Egg. Both endings were marked the same as Kid’s ending despite the credits being different with the party not present and present. I rebooted the game and immediately encountered an event I hadn’t seen before by falling asleep. I looked at the light and spotted a ghost. The weird part now when I saved, my playtime has been exponentially growing from two, to four, to eight hours with saves all within a minute of each other and I have an animal sticker on the file. I decided to come clean to the old woman this time too in the clock tower. Interested to find out what that changes if anything.

Lot of weird stuff already! Very curious how the game works to have multiple endings. Please don’t tell me :)

Edit: Ok I misread my save file for the time thing. It reset on playthrough two lol and I read minutes as hours lol.

Last edited:
Looking forward to playing Radical Dreamers this weekend! We're planning on doing it together as a family like we're watching a movie, reading it aloud for the kids.

Unless I missed something, there does not appear to be an option to change or toggle the borders, either in-game or on the title screen. Although I agree that an minute after I start playing I don’t notice them at all, still a bummer! I’d switch them to all black if I could.

At least it's not artwork. I can't stand artwork as borders. I can't explain it. It just completely takes me out of the experience.

Never thought I’d see the day where there would be worse borders than NSO

NSO borders are a godsend compared to other forced borders out there like the FF Legend collection. You're forced to have artwork and all of the menu prompts on the border. Way worse than the barely noticeable NSO one

Why is it so hard to have black borders, having an oled has really spoiled me with the true black the screen can provide.

You cannot turn the borders off or change them in any way (on consoles).

You can only make them smaller by changing the game display to zoom in or commit the cardinal gaming sin and play it in stretched fullscreen, which should be actually illegal.
Thanks for reporting! I'll go curl up in a corner and cry now. 😅

I... I forgot about this thing.
Hey I found this really nice corner to curl up in if you need it

Oof, playing the PS4 version on my PS5.

This is one of the worst remasters I've ever played. Its borderline unplayable, and I say this as someone who has VERY low standards for remasters. It feels like back in the early 2000s when I had the worst PC of all time and would try to emulate PS1 games and would play them at like 10fps

I have no idea how this passed testing.

BTW, for those who are unaware, it has been confirmed through data mining that this “remaster” is not actually a remaster at all; but rather it’s the original PS1 ISO running through a PS1 emulator.

Somehow this version at times runs worse than the original... Guess I might not need the new version and just throw the original on my Vita :/

BTW, for those who are unaware, it has been confirmed through data mining that this “remaster” is not actually a remaster at all; but rather it’s the original PS1 ISO running through a PS1 emulator.
As in, the original unaltered .ISO with stuff that the emulator handles in real time?

This isn't really a surprise, the way it plays and looks does kind of seem that way. That said, it's still really nice to be able to play it again on a portable, although it sure would've been nice if it had some more bells and whistles

If this is just the original running through an emulator, how'd they do the higher-poly models and textures? Can you just, like, import those into the ISO?

Somehow this version at times runs worse than the original... Guess I might not need the new version and just throw the original on my Vita :/

As in, the original unaltered .ISO with stuff that the emulator handles in real time?

The same exact thing happened with the Final Fantasy IX « Remaster ».
No wonder why the game runs at 5 FPS on the world map in FF IX R and the PS1 horrendous load times are still here, even with you use the Fast Forward function.

I had forgotten that dead party members don't get stat ups even after a boss battle, that sucks. That's one bit of RPG design that I've always hated since it feels very 'rich get richer', and I'm glad most games don't seem to do it anymore (that I can remember?)

I had forgotten that dead party members don't get stat ups even after a boss battle, that sucks. That's one bit of RPG design that I've always hated since it feels very 'rich get richer', and I'm glad most games don't seem to do it anymore (that I can remember?)
This is exactly why I ran from a boss battle when Kid ate shit (I'm well away from getting revive elements).

Radical Dreamers is bonkers lol

I just saved Magus Magil sorry Whammybar Starspangle with Lesser Martian Bunny Bun-Bun. UFOs are flying by in the credits lol.

Yes, that’s what I mean. The emulator swaps out and overlays the new art assets in real-time; pretty much just like how they did the HUD, FMV & texture changes in the Super Mario 3D All Stars collection.

I 100% finished Radical Dreamers tonight with all seven endings. I looked up how to trigger a few of them and apparently the sound test was either removed or didn’t exist originally.

The main scenario, as I learned the mansion’s layout and solved the puzzles, was definitely my favorite part of the game. I’ll be really curious to hear what y’alls first encounter was. I got the slugs and that really pulled me in right from the start in a way I’m not sure the others would. The way you explore the mansion really gets your imagination going which is super cool. It was super surreal to be playing new to me Chrono content as I grew up with Trigger and remember anticipating and eventually playing Chrono Cross. It really fills in a missing part of the puzzle that explains why Cross is the game it is. It also gave me an awesome new adventure with one of my favorite characters, Magus, which I never thought I’d get. The extra goofy content is a lot of fun and I’m glad it’s there, but it’s way less satisfying. That said, I’ll never forget the one with the bunny though lol.

I’m not sure how I’ll feel about the Chrono Cross remaster on a technical level (I’ll be playing it next), but I’m already super glad I got this for Radical Dreamers alone. It’s not for everyone, but if you like Chrono Trigger and Cross I think you should give it a chance. Go in blind for at least the first run.

Another thing I forgot about this game is just how open it is (for a PS1 game). Like, even before you get a boat or anything, you can just wander into the hydra marshes if you feel like it. Then there's the whole 'picking your route in the manor' bit.

And of course much later IIRC once you get into act 2 it becomes almost entirely non-linear for a while.

Looking forward to playing Radical Dreamers this weekend! We're planning on doing it together as a family like we're watching a movie, reading it aloud for the kids.
So we got through about an hour of this tonight, reading it aloud like a true book movie experience. Our older kid was skeptical at first but was soon won over and feeling the adventurous spirit.
Favorite part so far were the non-stop giggles as we read about the hamsters and squirrels trying to eat Serge

Back
Top Bottom