• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition announced for all platforms, launches April 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Radical Dreamers official localization is honestly what excited me more!

But what the hell, I'll be buying this to "show my support" for the Chrono brand.

Amazing.
Front Mission lives again.
Klonoa lives again.
Live A Live uh, lives again.
Earthbound ... arises.

And now this.

I love Chrono Trigger but have never played Cross despite listening to the soundtrack on loop back in the day.
Please come as a physical release 🙏

Amazing.
Front Mission lives again.
Klonoa lives again.
Live A Live uh, lives again.
Earthbound ... arises.

And now this.

I love Chrono Trigger but have never played Cross despite listening to the soundtrack on loop back in the day.
Please come as a physical release 🙏
Maybe in Japan for the physical, haven't check yet the japanese version of the direct.
But the western trailer shows it as an eshop only release.

Qrm9keq.webp

I'm getting mileage out of this, I don't care.

I just want to say
That I always believed
That I never lost hope
From the moment I read the interview from that Irish singer I knew this was coming

Maybe in Japan for the physical, haven't check yet the japanese version of the direct.
But the western trailer shows it as an eshop only release.
Doh.

Been tempted to hit up Play-Asia to pick up a few of those, like FF7+FF8 double pack and Romancing Saga.
But really, Square-Enix, the audience you are gunning for with releases like this has mucho affinity for cool-ass physical releases of awesome legacy stuff. I promise!

Just to be clear, "this" is the remake/remaster that was being discussed from the nvidia leak?

Didn't look too hot but I never played this game and static camera games always get me. I will probably enjoy it a lot.

I admit I wish they went a bit harder with the visuals (especially with Live-A-Live in the same direct) BUT it has a rearranged soundtrack by Mitsuda himself AND includes Radical Dreamers, localized for the first time. For 20 bucks this is a great deal.

Happy for Chrono Cross fans despite it not being my personal favorite! I am excited at the idea of Radical Dreamers having expanded availability, so that'll be interesting to reconcile my feelings over it with.

My favorite PS1 game. Glad they didn’t touch it up too much, looks great. Very excited to play Radical Dreamers too.

Neat. I hope Cross finally gets the love it deserves.

... and they sort some of that dodgy AI upscaling out before launch because WOOF

Calling it now: this is the Pixel Remaster or Live A Live team's next job. You don't remaster FF 1-6 and Chrono Cross and everything else and leave out Trigger. Square-Enix isn't that dumb.
  • Chrono Trigger HD-2D in the vein of Pixel Remasters
  • Chrono Cross Remastered in the vein of FFVIII
  • Chrono Break in the DQXI engine
01a.gifv

I am soooo confused, lol. What about the Sony stuff?
Last year in the days leading up to TGA there was a rumor floating around that CC Remastered might be launching first on Sony consoles as an exclusive. That mercifully was not the case.

Question since you seem to be a big chrono fan, can I play this without playing trigger? I am legit interested in it
It mostly stands on its own, but there are some oh-shit moments starting at about halfway through that you won't recognize if you haven't played Trigger. And I forget how well Cross explains them in its own context, so whether or not they'll be confusing without the proper context is something I can't really say.
I hate to say the safe thing to do is try to get ahold of Trigger first if you plan on playing through Cross. It's only a 20-25 hour game and the versions on Steam and mobile are actually passable. I have it on Android and it didn't piss me off, which is saying something. 😅

We're getting LIVE A LIVE and Front Mission remakes, anything is possible now!
That's what I'm counting on. 😁

Last year in the days leading up to TGA there was a rumor floating around that CC Remastered might be launching first on Sony consoles as an exclusive. That mercifully was not the case.
That was such a dumb rumor. People absolutely conflated Mitsuda tweets, the TGAs approaching, and the Another Eden cross promotion while ignoring every single other PS1 remaster to date.

We're getting LIVE A LIVE and Front Mission remakes, anything is possible now!
Racing Lagoon Remastered when?

It mostly stands on its own, but there are some oh-shit moments starting at about halfway through that you won't recognize if you haven't played Trigger.
I still remember that point when you get to Dead Sea and up until then it's been "ok, you've got some callbacks in the music, but when is this going to be a sequel?" when it finally whallops you over the head with "HERE'S YOUR SEQUEL"

It mostly stands on its own, but there are some oh-shit moments starting at about halfway through that you won't recognize if you haven't played Trigger. And I forget how well Cross explains them in its own context, so whether or not they'll be confusing without the proper context is something I can't really say.
I hate to say the safe thing to do is try to get ahold of Trigger first if you plan on playing through Cross. It's only a 20-25 hour game and the versions on Steam and mobile are actually passable. I have it on Android and it didn't piss me off, which is saying something. 😅

Hmm, thanks. I know it’s on the ds as well so I may either try and hunt that down or just play on steam or mobile. Thanks. I am curious about this game

Also since @Legion said I "seem" to be a big Chrono fan, I just wanted to clear something up:

This was on the back of my car for five years. I made it my damn self:
YDeZV0s.jpg

I hope to not hear anyone else say I "seem" like a Chrono fan. I don't want anyone to have a vague impression that I might be. I want people to know I am, without question.

Also since @Legion said I "seem" to be a big Chrono fan, I just wanted to clear something up:

This was on the back of my car for five years. I made it my damn self:
YDeZV0s.jpg

I hope to not hear anyone else say I "seem" like a Chrono fan. I don't want anyone to have a vague impression that I might be. I want people to know, without question.
I just noticed your hype for the game and the rumor it was coming, so it got me curious. Sometimes when others are excited for something, I try to look at it myself and give it a shot. And this does interest me

I wonder if the inclusion of Radical Dreamers meant it couldn't skip Nintendo's system/be timed-exclusive elsewhere. I may be way off base, but just a thought...

this barely looks remastered
The comparison shots on this site show they actually went as far as to update the character models, (and portraits, too!!) just like in FFVIII. It's not up to modern graphical standards, but the definitely put in some work to update the visuals.

I want to get this game, but stubborn me is saying "You have this game in your PS1 backlog. Just play that version!"
I want to get this game, but stubborn me is saying "Wait to see if they do a special physical release. Then buy that version!"

Radical Dreamers getting re-released at all is utterly wild, considering the lead writer didn't like how it turned out due to it having a rushed 3 month development cycle, and even blocked including it on the PS1 port of Chrono Trigger because of that.

I'd imagine it's probably being emulated here, and modified/translated by M2. Like how they localized the original Super Famicom version of Trials of Mana.

It's a good thing most of these JRPG remakes do not get physical editions. I have no will power against that!
Well I mean..
FFVII-and-FFVIII-Remastered-Twin-Pack-Switch-PS4-Physical-Siliconera-1.jpg

My genuine hope is that once they show off what they're doing with Trigger, we'll get a Trigger/Cross 2-pack. Fingers crossed. ❤️

"Chrono Cross" and "explaining things well" don't really belong in the same sentence :p. And I say this as a huge fan of the game and someone who actually likes the plot a lot.

But from what I remember, knowledge of Trigger really only comes into play at about three points in Cross, but I don't think it'd be that big of a deal to not have played it.

Probably the best part from the announcement:

• French, Italian, German and Spanish localization now added
I know it's the bare minimum, but it makes me happy that Square is not only bringing this to Europe but also recognizes we have more than one language spoken here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom