• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Chose one first party game from the Gamecube, Wii and 3DS that you think should get a remaster, and why

ILovethegameAC

Shriekbat
Pronouns
He
When it comes to Nintendo remasters is more likely we will see stuff from the Gamecube, Wii and 3DS since those have the most complex 3D visuals that can easily be reworked without making a complete remake of them. If you can choose one game from each of those consoles, which one would you choose? In my case:

-Gamecube: F-Zero GX, because is an incredible game that more people should play and especially because an online mode of it would be amazing. Eternal Darkness also could work but maybe a full remake would be better

-Wii: The Last Story, because is kind of sad that while Xenoblade ended up being one of Nintendo's biggest series, the other games of the "Operation Rinfall" were mostly forgotten despite being solid in their own way, and in the case of TLS it really could use some enhancements to the camera and also a frmerate boost, because it's probably the worst performing first party game on the console for what I have played, it really could chug in some points.

-3DS: Samus Returns, but not only a simple remaster but more something in the line of Crisis Core Reunion, being the same base game but reworking some mechanics, most notably adding the parry and aiming from Dread, that would really make a difference on the moment to moment gameplay.

The Last Story is a really good shout. It’s a great rpg, often overlooked given its lack of promotion and late localisation, and deserves to be carried forward and given a second chance.

3DS- I’d pick Kid Icarus: Uprising, mainly to see it with some more control scheme options.

GameCube- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Still probably my favourite set of FE characters.

To be a little different since I agree with your choices and reasoning, Custom Robo, Punch-Out!!, and Kid Icarus Uprising. All incredible games from their own (dead) series, trapped on their console of release

GameCube - Animal Crossing - More people need to play first AC, if it's not remastered it will be part of Switch Online next gen.

Wii - Super Mario Galaxy 2 - this should have happened with 3D All-Stars and it wouldn't even be remaster and it would be fine.

3DS - Super Mario 3D Land - the nostalgia, it's underated

Kid Icarus Uprising is pretty much THE correct answer, as the game would greatly benefit from a more modern control scheme

Gamecube: Super Mario Sunshine. Yes, the 3D All Stars exists, but that's barely and upressed/widescreened game with no real thought put behind the adaptation. 3DAS had a clear guideline and they stuck with it, and that's good.

But for a standalone release, it's far from enough. Add gyro aiming for the FLUDD, up the framerate to 60, improve the models ever so slightly, fix the wonky stuff. While i don't feel a particular appreciation for the game and think it's the worst 3D Mario (wich means that it's still a mighty good game) i feel like the game is still trapped in the Gamecube and not enough people can play it legit, wich is fairly sad taking in account how much Nintendo references it.

Wii: Wii Sports Resort, but for real this time. All the sports, full use of the joycons' gyro, improved graphics. Don't shy away from the Miis and Wuhu island, EMBRACE THEM. As an extra, take Pilotwings Resort and add all the vehicles as a fllying minigame.

3DS: Kid Icarus Uprising. Go full Metroid Prime Remastered on it and release the multiplayer as a standalone 20 € game or whatever. It's the craziest game released on the 3DS that no one played. Let's fix that, shall we?

GameCube: I'd probably pick Giftpia simply because it'd be a chance to finally localize it and it looks pretty unique. Otherwise I'd go with the first Chibi-Robo! by the same developer.
Wii: Either of the Endless Ocean games, preferably both. It's nice to have more games where violent conflict isn't at the center and these games would benefit greatly from a facelift.
3DS: The obvious pick here is Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's crazy what they achieve on the system but it feels held back by the controls and the hardware.

- GameCube: F-Zero GX - The F-Zero franchise hasn't had a major release in years, and a remaster of this with online play and a few extra tracks would hold up well and help revive the series.

- Wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2 - It's the greatest game of all time (in my opinion at least), and is one of the two 3D Mario platformers not available on Switch. Ideally I'd love if they gave this game the "Deluxe" treatment with new levels included, but I'd also gladly take a remaster in the vein of the 3D All-Stars port of Galaxy

- 3DS: Tomodachi Life - A fun game with a lot of quirky charm that only the Miis could provide. Given how good the Miitopia remaster was, this should get the same treatment, with the same expanded Mii editor included.

Last edited:
Doshin the Giant, Endless Ocean, Tank Troopers.

Doshin should be brought to the US, Endless Ocean has a typical gen 7 green filter that ruins underwater segments and could he improved, Tank Troopers got done dirty by release date.

Given all the swirling rumors around F-Zero GX i feel that's a safe pick and maybe not entirely fair.

I wouldn't actually mind an out of left-field thing where they do a true remake of the original F-Zero with the GX remaster as bonus content or just as a standalone game.

As for what I'd want? The Wii's The Last Story is pretty high up on my list. It fits the Switch audience like a glove and deserves much better than what it got at the tail end of Wii's life where NoA couldn't even be bothered to release it (this was back during Reggie's chasing USD phase when everything that wasn't casual million sellers wasn't worth bringing over)

ctrl + F "Custom Robo"

nodding-yes.gif

It one hundred percent should be Custom Robo, followed by a new game.

As for Wii and 3DS...I guess I'd lean more for Pandora's Tower? Kinda liked it a little more than The Last Story in hindsight, and also Kid Icarus: Uprising but only because I never played it despite hearing good things

Kirby Air Ride (GC) Full on "Deluxe" remake treatment by Sora and Bandai Namco Studios. New courses, new characters, new modes, full on adventure/story subgame, online everything, the works.

The Last Story (Wii) OP nailed it, this was a classic and it already strained against the Wii's hardware limits. Give it a "Definitive Edition" remake courtesy of Mistwalker and Marvelous First Studio and watch Nintendo score yet another million selling JRPG.

Club Nintendo Picross/Plus (3DS) Because MyNintendo rewards need some serious help. Or make it a NSO freebie, whatever, I don't care, Jupiter is my new dealer and I can't get enough.

GameCube - Star Fox: Assault with Online play. I had a ton of fun playing the online mode and I’d love to see it come back.

Wii - Punch-Out!! This game was excellent, and I’d love to have it at a higher resolution and portable.

3DS - Kid Icarus: Uprising I think of this had been released on the Wii or Wii U as a “prestigious” home console game, it would be thought of as one of the best and most ambitious Nintendo games ever. It deserves to be played by more people.

Metroid, Zero Mission, Samus Returns HD, Super Metroid, Fusion, Dread, Metroid Prime Remastered, Metroid Prime 2 Remastered, Metroid Prime 3 Remastered, Metroid Prime 4, Metroid 6 🤯

I want to live in the world where every Metroid game worth playing is on the Switch family of consoles. We are sooooooo close to living in that utopia. We're almost there, baby!

GCN: Super Smash Bros Melee

There’s nowhere left for the series to go now. With Sakurai having retired now, Switch 2 can only realistically get a 4k port of Ultimate with a bit of extra content (chiefly the few stages still missing from Ultimate); as nothing else could reasonably follow on from Ultimate within any reasonable timeframe (Ultimate essentially had a 9 year development cycle! There's no way that Nintendo can realistically follow up that). However, a HD port of Melee? Now that’s something that Nintendo/HAL can do without Sakurai , in a reasonable dev cycle that would satisfy a sizeable enough contingent of their fanbase; and then Smash can sit out the rest of the generation from then on.

Wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Doesn't even need a massive graphical improvement. Just increase the rendering resolution and maybe touch up the textures here & there, add in the 3DS exclusive levels as a bonus and bam! Instant 3-4 million seller.

3DS: Kid Icarus Uprising

Easy million+ seller that fills a hole in Nintendo’s single player and multiplayer portfolio as a Switch 2 launch window title. High demand, quick dev cycle, easy win.

Last edited:
Donkey Kong Country Returns. One of my favorite games ever, I’d love to play the extra levels from the 3DS with the framerate/resolution of the console version, and it looks great now but remastered visuals would be great to see also.

Gamecube : too many. My final pick though would probably be Chibi-Robo! but Odama wouldn't be far behind. Two absolutely unique, weird and excellent Nintendo games.

Wii : I would probably go with Super Mario Galaxy 2 simply because it was probably the best game ever made until Breath of the Wild released.

3DS : I don't really care because I still use on a monthly basis my 3DS, it almost still feel like a current gen console for me given how much I still use it to replay some games that I love (it has one of my favorite first party line up ever). So I guess I'll follow the gang here and say Kid Icarus Uprising, even if it isn't close to be my favorite 3DS game. But yeah obviously it would be crazy to play it on the big screen with a proper classic control scheme. My favorite games on it wouldn't benefit much from a Switch remaster I feel (A Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem Awakening, Wario Ware Gold, Tomodachi Life... just make a sequel for that one already), so yeah, let's go for Uprising.

GameCube: Legend Zelda: Four Swords Adventure - it would be vastly easier to get 4 players with it now with online play and you have the screen real estate to keep the regular screen 4:3 and have the inside of caves and stuff in a smaller side screen kind of like how the Wii U did DS games.

Wii: I WOULD say Last Story but instead I'll say Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. I bought a lot of copies for friends because it just sat in clearance bins for $5 and it's easily one of the best games on the entire console and one of the best rail shooters in history, if not the best.

3DS: My dream is a 2 pack of Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds with Tri Force Heroes. TFH would never sell on its own but I think they could do worldwide matchmaking/friend play online for it and it would solve every issue it had and ALBW is just a fantastic game.

I'd also just dearly love a New Super Mario Bros All-Stars with all of those games together, pack that with the Switch 2.

GameCube: Oh lord almighty. I think that ALL of the GC's library should still be made available today. Though if we're talking strictly first-party games, my pick would be Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. My second pick would be Custom Robo, third pick maybe Doshin the Giant.

Wii: The Last Story, easy pick. Close second is Pandora's Tower and third is FE: Radiant Dawn.

3DS: Ever Oasis. Came out way too late in the system's life cycle but imho it is one of the best first-party games on the system. Second pick is Kid Icarus: Uprising, third is Code Name STEAM.

GC: Four Swords Adventure. I still think this game could get a minor face lift for the sake of better multiplayer, and it could be a nice filler for the sake of an "off year" with no new Zelda game in it.

Wii: Zangeki no Reginleiv. I can feel for those Last Story (and Pandora's Tower) fans who felt left behind compared to Xenoblade, but at least you got that Operation Rainfall helping hand at all. Meanwhile, Sandlot's doing just fine banging out EDF games every few years on PS and Xbox, which only makes me sadder that Nintendo nor O.R. gave Zangeki the chance it deserved to be a cult hit.

3DS: A Link Between Worlds. If I'm not getting a new 2D Zelda anytime soon, I can think of worse things than remastering the best one we've gotten in the near two decades since Minish Cap.

Four Swords Adventures. Holy shit that game has needed a remake since forever. It's a much better designed game than people give it credit for, with an awesome campaign for the time period with friends and a solid battle mode. And now on Switch they could do both online and offline easily.

GCN - F-Zero GX
It's time for Captain Falcon to return. There's a lot of great GCN games, but this one is first on the list.

Wii - Disaster: Day of Crisis
I think a B-movie styled action game is something that the Switch lineup could use, compared to most Wii titles.

3DS - Nintendoji
A simple dungeon crawler, I think an enhanced remake would be a nice celebration for Nintendo's history.

GameCube: Thousand Year Door. Pretty self-explanatory, while it's not my favorite Mario RPG it's up there and having it accessible on the Switch alongside the first Paper Mario would be fantastic.

Wii: Probably Mario Galaxy 2. A few control adjustments to make the Yoshi segments work better in a standard control setup and it should be fine. Plus it's Mario Galaxy 2.

3DS: Kid Icarus Uprising. Again pretty self-explanatory I think, it's a fantastic game and more accessible controls would be great both for people who liked the original game (like myself) and people who did not.

Gamecube: Gamecube's library is so good that I wouldn't mind anything. Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 2, F-Zero GX (assuming this one is good). I'll just say as long as it's not the atrocity on man that is Pikmin 2, then we're good.

Wii: A part of me wants to say Sin & Punishment: Star Successor because it's one of the only Wii games I haven't played that I'm still interested in. But that would probably be butchered with gyro vs pointer. So I'll say ...

Probably still that one.

3DS: I mean, come on. Kid Icarus: Uprising. I haven't played it because the 3DS controls sound bad, but it looks like one of the most interesting games Nintendo has ever made.

Wii: A part of me wants to say Sin & Punishment: Star Successor because it's one of the only Wii games I haven't played that I'm still interested in. But that would probably be butchered with gyro vs pointer. So I'll say ...
The game was designed so it could also be played with a classic controller so it wouldn't be much of an issue. It'd just play like the original. Of course, aiming with a pointer is nicer.

Shameless bump, but the last direct kinda confirmed what I said in op, they are gonna bring back plenty of games from these 3 consoles.

Assuming more cosmetic remasters like recent Prime or Pikmin:
  • GC: Eternal Darkness just because it'd fill a niche that isn't really represented all that much by Nintendo's 1st party stuff (also because F-Zero and TTYD have already been mentioned multiple times) (Fire Emblem would be an option too, but boring)
  • Wii: Prime 2&3 would be the obvious (and boring choices) as would Fire Emblem (but has already been mentioned), I'd like to see Mad World (though that's never happening), it's quirky and super stylish (and violent lol) Edit: not 1st party, so any of the Operation Moonfall games, that aren't Xenoblade, give Last Story another shot (or Pandora's Tower)!
  • 3DS: Samus Returns feels like the very obvious choice here to me, loved the game on 3DS and I think it'd be fairly straightforward to put onto Switch, unlike Kid Icarus, where you'd have to compromise for an obviously inferior control scheme on the Switch (though I suppose you could still enable touchscreen in portable mode, as recent stuff like Ghost Trick has shown) or 3D Land, which I dearly love but I honestly think it'd loses a lot of its charme without the stereoscopic 3D. Maybe give Codename S.T.E.A.M another shot? Feels like that game just had bad luck, really enjoyed the weird setting and it's a less obvious and boring choice :LOL:

Last edited:
Gamecube: F-Zero GX. Yeah it's an obvious pick, but this game needs a second chance. It's fantastic and would look incredible in HD.

Wii: Captain Rainbow. Of all of the still-unlocalized Wii games, this one is the biggest disappointment. It doesn't even have a fan translation yet. I also just think it would play better with audiences in 2023.

3DS: Ever Oasis. This one just seems like it'd be better suited to more powerful hardware. Plus this IP seems like it could have done okay anywhere but the 3DS in 2017.

GameCube Eternal Darkness not only is it a great game it'll also diversify Nintendo s lineup

Wii Punch Out or Exitebike

3DS Kid Icarus

Gamecube: Star Fox Assault It's an actual evolution of the SNES/64 template, and is a flawed gem that needs tweaks to fufill its promise. Sprucing up the graphics and especially refining the gameplay/controls would elevate it to a more appreciated entry like it deserves. Add online multiplayer and maybe some new story content, and it could be a good starting off point for Nintendo to actually move past the SF64 trappings, and possibly build off its foundations to move the franchise forward.

Wii: Wario Land: Shake It! This game is gorgeous with its 2D animated artstyle, and is a solid platformer and WarioLand game to boot. I'm not a fan of motion controls, and I understand they're integral to the game (including the title), but they could retain those with the joycons while also adding standard controls as well. It's an overlooked Good-Feel gem and since Nintendo apparently doesn't care to release new WarioLand games, they could at least give this one a proper remaster.

3DS: Kid Icarus Uprising It would benefit from standardized controls, and a graphical facelift would help the artstyle blossom. I personally don't think Kid Icarus as a franchise needs more entries, and I don't think Uprising in particular needs a sequel since it already feels like two or three games crammed together. But I think as a one-off celebratory game and the definitive Kid Icarus experience, it needs to be on a popular platform with controls that don't destroy most people's wrists, so that it can get a proper, definiitive edition to easily go back to.

I guess you could say that all of my choices are games that are flawed gems that would benefit from refined/modernized controls, and deserve to be easily accessible to a wider audience.

Gamecube: Eternal Darkness. Just want to see how Nintendo would pull it off.

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2. Two of the best games ever.

3DS: Kid Icarus: Uprising. The tippity top of the 3DS library.

Back
Top Bottom