• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Chihiro Fujioka said in 2022 that he wants his last game to be Super Mario RPG2, hinting that the story is already thought of?

Meelow

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
This was an interview he had with IGN last year, saying he wants to make SMRPG2 his last game before he retires. Clearly, he knew about the remake, so maybe he said this to gauge interest?

"So, in my career I've been involved in a lot of games and you know, I would really like my final one to be another Mario RPG game, if possible," he said. "I think Mario & Luigi is cool but I would like to go back and create a Mario RPG where you're only controlling Mario."

IGN asked him what the story would be and all he said was
"That is a secret."

So it seems that he already has been thinking about what the story would be (maybe the game is already in early stages of development?)

He also confirms that SMRPG was originally going to be more like Final Fantasy, with Mario holding a sword and using magic abilities.

I think most remakes of dormant Nintendo series/sub-series are now being done to gauge the audience for a proper sequel (as well as give the dev team some practice/test them out).

Which is fantastic, given the state of the other Mario RPGs.

I think most remakes of dormant Nintendo series/sub-series are now being done to gauge the audience for a proper sequel (as well as give the dev team some practice/test them out).

Which is fantastic, given the state of the other Mario RPGs.
As well as gauge the third-party developers Nintendo chooses to farm them out to

I'm not fine with AlphaDream being dead, but I'm fine with Mario&Luigi being dead if it means Super Mario RPG will replace it as a series.

Replace M&L with Paper Mario RPG and I completely agree.
Nah, if we can have Mario RPG as a the RPG series, and that allows Paper Mario do ditch its convoluted turn based systems and go full adventure game, then we'd have the best of both worlds IMO.

I loved the exploration and whatnot in Origami King but the turn based battles really threw me out of the immersion, so if they ditched that and focused on exploration with possible real time battles like Super Paper Mario, then everything would be awesome

Nah, if we can have Mario RPG as a the RPG series, and that allows Paper Mario do ditch its convoluted turn based systems and go full adventure game, then we'd have the best of both worlds IMO.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

I would prefer if Paper Mario went full adventure by now.

100% happening imo. The remake looks glorious. They're 100% making this as preparation for the sequel.
Tokita also came out recently with some similar comments around Live A Live and we know from interviews with Asano there were pitches for remakes of various games in the 2D-HD style. So digging into the vault has definitely been on the collective minds at Square this generation.

I think the story is the least of the concern with these kinda games lol

Anyway I would welcome it, I love turn based RPGs and the more atypical settings/scenarios of the old Mario ones

Back
Top Bottom