• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Chained Echoes | Review thread

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
God is a geek (10/10)
Chained Echoes is without a doubt the best RPG I've played all year, and should be pushed to the top of your backlog immediately.

Noisy Pixel (9.5/10)
Chained Echoes is a wildly ambitious and impressive turn-based RPG that, aside from minor faults, sticks the landing on all fronts. From its terrific and constantly thought-provoking battle system with well-implemented challenge, to its strongly written cast and masterclass worldbuilding, this is an essential must-play for any fan of the genre that I sincerely hope doesn’t pass anyone’s radar.

Gaming Nexus (9/10)
Simply put, Chained Echoes is a heartfelt love letter to the SNES JRPG classics from the 90s that boasts an incredible cast of characters, amazing pixel artwork, a brilliant soundtrack, impeccable attention to detail, and a complex narrative.

The Outer Haven (4.5/5)
Chained Echoes is a 16-bit-era JRPG that lends itself well to the genre. A definite pickup if you are wanting to do a run of more SNES-era games but still have some quality-of-life adjustments of the modern era.

Hobby consolas (8.9/10)
If you love classical RPGs from the 16 bit era, you're going to have a big time with Chained Echoes. It takes all that have aged real bad in the genre (random combats, pace...) and updates with an incredible taste, with great plot and gameplay. Not in vain it has been in development for 7 years, and it pays out.

Tech Raptor (8.5/10)
Chained Echoes rises above its SNES-era inspirations, crafting an experience that easily stands out for its own merits.

SwitchUp (94%)

Last edited:
I just learend of this game's existence 30 minutes ago thanks to the SwitchUp review.

Looks great, I'm getting it. This is going to be a nice month for indies with this and Sports Story.

Wowza! I've seen this game here and there and it's always looked neat, but that's a wildly good reception! Think I'll be picking this one up in a couple weeks with some holiday eShop cards

I played it a bit on Game Pass and it leaves a very strong impression. Might have to get it on Switch.

Yeah I don't see a reason to not get this.

Best scenario: I'll play another great turn-base RPG that I'll remember fondly for many years to come.
Worst case scenario: At least I'll support a solo dev who worked on this for 7 years.

Yeah I don't see a reason to not get this.

Best scenario: I'll play another great turn-base RPG that I'll remember fondly for many years to come.
Worst case scenario: At least I'll support a solo dev who worked on this for 7 years.
Wait wait wait… it was made by a SOLO DEV?!

I've just bought it. Looks amazing and it feels really good to see a passion project done by a single person have some level of success.

Thank you for creating the thread, I would have just ignored the existence of this game otherwise!

This had a kickstarter:

I backed it and I'm happy it's finally releasing.

No key for Switch yet though so I'll be waiting to actually play it for a bit.

Never heard of this, but I can’t say no to a game inspired by SNES JRPG’s and that’s getting great reviews.

I don’t know if any reviews covered it, but I think the overworld takes a bit of inspiration from Xenoblade with do-dads floating around everywhere that are used to upgrade gear/sell for deals and the high-rank enemies that appear everywhere.

I’m about 12 or so hours in and this game is really special. Everyone should check it out.

Woah, out of nowhere for me. Looks awesome! I’m always so impressed by these super small team and solo dev projects. How is it even possible? Has this dude been crunching in a silo for years straight? Amazing achievement.
(No, really — how is it possible?)

I have been interested in this title for awhile, but after watching Switchup's video, they completely convinced me with the awesome mech suits!

Please excuse my unrefined tongue but this game is fucking amazing.
The opening hours make you jump from the perspective of the first 6 main characters, leading to an exciting climax when they find themselves forced to work together.

The game never waste any time wether it's gameplay or storywise. "Snapy" is very much the term that define this game's philosophy.
I'll have to wait further to see if this is true for the whole game, but it also looks like Chained echoes is going for the "fewer, but deeper enemy encounters" approach with the combat.
Another thing I love is how the game allows you to have up to 8 characters involved at once in a single battle thanks to the formation system.

It's possible that my GOTY is game I didn't know existed before it came out, how fun!

Dang, didn’t expect the game to be this good! Tried on GP, but will deffo grab it down the line on Switch

Dilemma here. I really prefer playing stuff like this and Tunic on Switch, but price is an issue versus getting a month or two of Game Pass. Sounds great.

The opening hours make you jump from the perspective of the first 6 main characters, leading to an exciting climax when they find themselves forced to work together.

The game never waste any time wether it's gameplay or storywise. "Snapy" is very much the term that define this game's philosophy
Whew baby that is one hell of a pitch.

Whew baby that is one hell of a pitch.
There isn't a run button, because the characters are fast by default.
Even when you talk to NPC or open a chest, you can still move. This game doesn't want you to stop unless you're watching a cut-scene.

I really enjoyed the… (post second area spoilers quote to see)

Definitely interested, onto the switch wishlist it goes(have some other rpgs I’m too focused on right now for another)

I beat it, with most of the most important side stuff done just under 45 hours.

It's my game of the year, and one of the best JRPG I've played. I can't believe an indie JRPG that I had no idea existed until its release day ended up becoming my favorite game of the year, when said year also featured a Xenoblade game.

Play this everyone, please.

Beat the game. Ending is absolute dog crap in my opinion. A stupid random twist that makes very little sense from a narrative standpoint and leaves a "why would you do this?" Taste in your mouth. I can respect that this game was made by one person* but this creator really needed an editor to look at the story and tell him that it's poorly paced, has too many twists with no payoff and tries to be too dramatic without earning it and without building upon it.

One of the best setups to turn into a complete jumbled mess from a narrative standpoint.

Because I am filthy fake fan, I completely missed that they did an AMA in the JRPG subreddit 3 weeks ago:

We learn that

• The game was a "massive success for everyone involved. It smashed our expectations on Day 1 already."
  • Matthias Linda (the creator) wants to establish a small dev team for the next project
  • The next game is set in the same world, but they can't tell us if it's a sequel/prequel or anything else.

Last edited:
It's on the top of the buy and play list for sure! I'm getting Pikmin 4 and Super Mario Wonder, so either a good sale comes up or I buy this in November/December when I've cleared out my backlog a bit
I'll accept this answer.

....................................................................................for now.

Nice bump everyone - timely reminded that, post Zelda, I'll still have half this game to do.

This thread bump is a good reminder that I still need to get back to this game, I was really deep in and got pulled away for other stuff. But the plot was really going places and the combat is very enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom