• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Cavern of Dreams - this poor thing released the day before Mario Wonder!

(Late to the party)

Cavern of Dreams is a collectathon 3D platformer styled after a Nintendo 64 game. It released last year, and had the misfortune of coming out the day before Mario (the date was set long before Wonder was even announced), so it didn't exactly gather a lot of attention. I'm sure being a platformer exclusive to Steam also limited its reach somewhat as well, for some reason it feels like only the Nintendo ecosystem allows these games to truly blow up, at least on forums like this. Even I, who loved the demo at Next Fest, have only just now gotten around to it. Which, as it turns out, is a shame.

The more I think on it, the more remarkable this game really is. It's very small in scope, at only four main worlds plus a hub, but it's perhaps the first actual Banjo successor in a genre of Banjo clones that copy the basic structure but miss the substance.

I haven't seen any screenshots that really do it justice, which is why I only have a trailer here, but it's gorgeous in motion, a real 64-bit art expo (although even I immediately turned off the authentic N64 vaseline smear filter from the options.) The world is described as "surreal", and I suppose that's right, but not to an extent that's especially unusual for the time. Think of walking into that weird room at the end of the Ice Cavern, or the Astral Observatory in Majora's Mask, but make it a regular occurrence with the baseline being at least as dreamlike as Spyro. Wonderful spaces to exist in.

The music is atmospheric but never did much for me, though it does pick up on the necessity of dynamic tracks like Banjo had, which I don't think I've seen anyone else do besides maybe Yooka-Laylee. Did it even? I genuinely don't remember.

The game design is all well above average, except for that damned starfish. Still. It's a bit slight. I can't say I actually missed combat like I thought I would, in the end it's just not a terribly important part of these games I suppose. But despite its best efforts, the world still feels pretty small once you're familiar with it, and the game is ultimately about half the size of Banjo-Kazooie or Spyro the Dragon, never mind the giant and ponderous games which followed them. Modern indie collectathons often have fewer worlds than their inspirations, but they nevertheless pad things out in some fashion to try and make up for that. Cavern of Dreams thankfully feels no need to do so, but that does leave it feeling about as short as its tiny level count would suggest. I finished it in a night.

It therefore has trouble really making use of the quite creative systems of progression it sets up. Not counting the very first one that ends the tutorial section and gives you access to the first world, the game has a grand total of 5 progression checks where you need a certain amount of an item to progress. Banjo-Kazooie has 18, and that's not counting the optional ones. It feels like you only get a taste of progression before you're already at the end of the game.

Plotwise, the game is Spyro 3 meets Undertale. Or maybe Bubble Bobble? No, I won't elaborate. The contents are full-on N64 though. There are a few worlds inside paintings and one bit that's a tribute to Ocarina of Time's Haunted Wasteland in particular, but mainly the focus is on Banjo-Kazooie. Especially Clanker's Cavern. You've no idea how much the developer loved Clanker's Cavern. Same though.

It's the first time I've seen any game reproduce Banjo-Tooie's knotted up cross-world solutions. It actually really manages to strike a balance between the two, containing elements of both Kazooie's immediacy and Tooie's ambitious complexity.

Like Kazooie, you can complete each world fully as you come to it. Its mushrooms are nearly as well-placed as Kazooie's notes, a first in my experience. The main objectives meanwhile are kind of a mix of more basic puzzles and platforming challenges as well as drawn-out multi-step scenarios, with the latter taking over towards the end of the game. You will find a good amount of eggs just sitting there or hidden away somewhere, but you will also really have to work for some of them.

There are many challenges centered around having to bring an item from one place to another, or even smuggle it between worlds, especially later in the game. There are a bunch of little connections and sub-areas you find that just have a single collectible in them, and often it will only be apparent where you were much later in the game. But then one of these ends up being the key to a puzzle in the third world that requires you to bring something from the first.

We also have world-altering mechanics like stopping a snowstorm to unfreeze the water or tilting an airship to change what you can reach. The former brings to mind the significance of Mumbo oxygenating Jolly Roger's Lagoon, while the latter recalls the Zelda dungeon-isms of Grunty Industries. Both are things that have to be unlocked by performing a level-spanning task which itself has no reward, being just a means to an end.

It even builds upon the Metroidvania elements of Tooie in a sense. It encourages freeform use of your moveset, and it's noticeable from the very beginning of the game that you can skip some puzzles with pure finesse. However, using advanced movement techniques, the game can be broken wide open and tackled in basically any order, with a great many obstacles being entirely skippable if you know what you're doing. I do not, and only discovered this from watching a 100% speedrun, which is finished in scarcely over 40 minutes. I don't know to exactly what extent this was intentional, but it ends up accommodating something that Tooie is caught flat footed by. Should you attempt to sequence break it, the game often has no idea what to do, and the ground will shrink beneath you hours later if you skip early moves simply because you could.

This isn't to say it's entirely like Banjo, either. The movement is wholly unique, much more momentum-based and freeform. Not really Mario parkour, but almost like Sonic Adventure?

When I first played the demo, I suspected that the N64 romhacking scene was an influence on the level design. I think the thing that stuck out to me was the puzzles, which felt remarkably similar to the sort of things romhack developers make out of necessity because they can't easily introduce new assets that move or interact with the player. Things like giving you a riddle that hints at what object you need to hit in order to open a door is how they work around those limitations. These environmental observation puzzles are common here. And indeed, Mark Kurko of Jiggies of Time fame was included under Special Thanks in the credits, so this feeling of mine may be warranted.

While it looks quite a lot like Banjo in certain areas, the presentation is largely different otherwise. The background lore adds sorrow to the game which, along with its surreal and often eerie environments, gives it a tone sort of like an 80's fantasy movie. ...At least from how they're talked about; I don't think I've ever seen one. There's an innocence to the immediate story, but a darkness lurking just out of frame most of the time.

As I mentioned earlier, the game has no combat whatsoever. There are some monsters, mostly in the final world, but the majority of them are pretty passive obstacles even then. Because of this, there's a certain quiet to the world, and a frequent sense of "it has nothing to do with me, but something happened here". That lack of understanding and the shelter from the darkest elements of the setting really adds to the child's perspective you occupy.

The true villains are murky and greater scope. The main antagonist is so inconsequential that confronting her is completely optional thanks to a really cool 100% reward in the form of the ability to fly. Your ultimate goal is to leave the cavern, and you can indeed just... leave, as a sort of alternate anticlimax ending, if you so choose.

Everything that lead to the world you're experiencing today and your current problems is decisions made in the distant past, things you can't really do anything about. You fell into this world, its problems are bigger than you and there isn't much you can do in the here and now besides helping out the people you meet along the way.

An interesting element I've yet to figure out the intent behind is how basically every character outside of the antagonist is defined in some way by a form of pacifism. There is not really an explicit message about violence the way there is in Undertale; almost none of this is directly relevant to the story at all. But that it's such a running theme in everyone's backstories has to have been deliberate.

Ultimately, this is one of the better collectathons ever made. Easily my favorite one of the modern revival so far, and possibly surpassing the best non-Banjo efforts from 96-04. Things that no one else has ever attempted or gotten right are pulled off perfectly competently here. It's one of those games that comes as a relief more than anything, like it's scratching an itch that's been there forever.

It was my impression back when I played the demo; and even now after experiencing the modest scope of the game, I think this is a more authentic successor than Yooka-Laylee ever was. It doesn't try to replicate most of the humor and presentation, but Yooka didn't get the former right and the latter just came off as trying way too hard to ride Banjo's coattails. And Cavern of Dreams looks much more like a Banjo game than the blocky, bright and clean playset world of Yooka anyway. Most importantly though, there's just no comparison in the game design. Yooka was a slightly below average clone with some of the worst 3D level design I've ever encountered, and Cavern of Dreams understands and effortlessly reproduces and iterates on what both Banjo games accomplished in its own modest way.

Most of all, it's a must for anyone who ever loved existing in and exploring the worlds of N64 games. That if nothing else is the experience it is intent on delivering, and it does so with flying colors. I didn't even grow up with the console, and I felt like a kid again!

I had an eye on this since the first trailer but a lot of games came out then… even though I bought it on sale. Should definitely get to this soon.

Why did you have to post this right before my shift, you fool, you monster! I'll have to read it after I'm done being put through the wringer for about 8 and a half hours.

(Pop off though)

The sound effects in the trailer are adorable and very endearing. I don't have any attachment to Banjo and have never played the Banjo games, yet this is interesting to me. It being only on Steam isn't ideal for me, but I've played platformers there. I'd prefer if it released on Switch or Switch 2. Thanks for sharing your experience here!

I'll try to make time to read this post throughout the weekend but just wanted to say I really loved this game and 100% it. It's stupidly cute but also with a weirdly dark undercurrent. That sort of combo works great for low poly, I feel.

looks good, nails the n64 aesthetic, except for the sounds: they are to "hifi". They lack a ton of compression to emulate the crunchiness, making it feel weirdly hollow on that front... even if they do have energy.

sadly im currently not interested in those type of games (and i also did not play wonder, so theres that)

Thanks for the great write-up! I definitely have my eyes on this one with hopes it comes to Switch. One thing from the trailer I had a question about, well, really about the game in general. I recently tried the Lunistice demo and it was so low poly and maybe low res that I just couldn't play it, like it was going ro give me a headache or nausea. This looks different just from the trailer. It's low poly but it's not low res/blurry like that game? Am I seeing that correctly, like is that a fair distinction?

I'm always a bit mixed with new retro 3D plateformers that don't feature any basic attack & monsters ; because it makes the game feel a bit emptier in a way that you interact less with it, it's just a collect-a-thon with nothing much to do except jumping around.

Not that it is a bad thing, but sometimes I feel like something is missing in these sort of games (like the one with the small bird that I forgot that got a Switch release ; it was nice but very short and well not a lot to do).

Thanks for the great write-up! I definitely have my eyes on this one with hopes it comes to Switch. One thing from the trailer I had a question about, well, really about the game in general. I recently tried the Lunistice demo and it was so low poly and maybe low res that I just couldn't play it, like it was going ro give me a headache or nausea. This looks different just from the trailer. It's low poly but it's not low res/blurry like that game? Am I seeing that correctly, like is that a fair distinction?
Lunistice, from looking at gameplay, is more or less a modern game graphically with some sort of filter over it to vaguely evoke the pixelated look of a primitive 3D game. The effect is probably closest in practice to looking like an upscaled DS game due to the somewhat-more-modern-but-still-kind-of-shitty thing it had going on. I think the reason why it's nauseating might have to do with it pulling an aggressive variant on Skyward Sword's LOD trick where things get blurrier the further away they are.

If you look beyond your character, the game seems to have a really small draw distance, which is weird because it's just a bunch of small low poly platforms floating in a void, stuff pops in and out of view quite close to you for how little there is to render and the fact that this isn't the 90's anymore.

Skyward Sword leveraged its impressionist art style to obscure with blobs of color the act of models getting replaced with better ones and smaller details popping into existence, since it was made for at the time ancient hardware. But when Lunistice does this with the chunky pixels it... well first of all it doesn't work at all, the pop-in is really obvious, I suspect it was implemented solely to look retro rather than to actually hide anything. But more importantly, it causes visual "turbulence"; things don't remain static nor are they revealed gradually, and it creates a constantly shifting disorienting effect to the image. At least that's my guess as to explaining what's happening, because I definitely feel kind of sick watching it in motion as well.

Anyway, one of the major differences N64 had with its contemporaries is a much "softer" image thanks to iirc aggressive anti-aliasing among other factors. N64 textures are very blurry but look like actual images, whereas PS1 or Saturn games often have this look like they were painted with a bucket of pixels. N64 hardware itself is famous for outputting a very soft image, which is the "vaseline smear" I mentioned. You can see the difference quite clearly between games run on real hardware or modern emulators.

11122683-banjo-kazooie-nintendo-64-with-his-sister-kidnapped-banjo-heads-.jpg

large.jpg

Cavern of Dreams reproduces this effect, but it can be turned off to get a clearer image like through emulation. In any case though, it looks nothing like Lunistice, and if you're fine with Nintendo 64 games you should be fine with this.

Thank you @Stilt Village! I appreciate the explanation of the types of effects that Lunistice uses that would understandably have a differing impact on a player. I will say I've definitely gotten more sensitive to motion sensitivity in games as I've gotten older and since I stopped playing many first person perspective games. If I go back and try one it usually doesn't sit well with me. But yeah, Cavern of Dreams looks like it has a good shot at not causing such issues, I find the experience is a lot different playing than watching so I'll be eager to try it out.

I know demos take a lot of development time but I wish more indies had them in particular. There are definitely indies I'm on the fence on and because there's no demo I wait for a deep sale or just de-prioritize it. Apologies, I know that's a tangent but I was just thinking about how Chants of Sennaar has a great demo and I played through it and immediately bought the game, and, how I was interested in Cobalt Core but held off due to the lack of demo. Again, total tangent.

Wow, a launch sale that lasts till 3/15 and it's only $11 and change.
Yeah, decided to bite due to it. It's cute and definitely has charm. I like how they attempted to replicate the "Rare N64" colored lighting at points early on. It's clear it's super influenced by Rare, but also Spyro 3 with the egg collecting.

Oh, and there's an attempt at a blur filter in the options, but it's more of a vague CRT color-bleed thing if anything, and it's still 60fps, but I noticed the forest area with the Kappa actually had minor stutter, at least when you first enter the area. Didn't play much further yet.

I've noticed this in the eShop but I thought it'd be a forgettable also-ran. Definitely gonna grab it now.

Yeah, decided to bite due to it. It's cute and definitely has charm. I like how they attempted to replicate the "Rare N64" colored lighting at points early on. It's clear it's super influenced by Rare, but also Spyro 3 with the egg collecting.

Oh, and there's an attempt at a blur filter in the options, but it's more of a vague CRT color-bleed thing if anything, and it's still 60fps, but I noticed the forest area with the Kappa actually had minor stutter, at least when you first enter the area. Didn't play much further yet.
Neat, looking forward to reading your impressions as you progress! Great to hear it's 60 fps.

Neat, looking forward to reading your impressions as you progress! Great to hear it's 60 fps.
Well I'm not planning on diving back in and beating it ASAP, but if/when I get back to it, sure, I can post more impressions. :)

Been mostly playing Animal Crossing New Horizons and Easy Come Easy Golf. :p

Bought it this morning and I'm having a blast.

"Surreal" is too grandiose a word to describe the game's atmosphere, but it's not inaccurate. Rayman 2 immediately springs to mind as a mascot platformer starring a funny cartoon man that took itself entirely seriously, along with some of Donkey Kong 64's more quiet and melancholic moments, where these silly cartoon monkeys explore threatening locales with foreboding music.

Combat being totally non-existent brings to mind my beloved Wario Land 3 where the only gate to my progress is my own ability to go from Point A to Point B, and that the protagonist is a tiny little baby exploring fish graveyards and sentient airships (this game really does like Clanker's Cavern) creates a stronger impression on me than if I bashed cartoon baddies. That there's no point so far where Fynn's had to prove himself in a fight makes him feel more innocent and thus more likeable in his quest.

Well I'm not planning on diving back in and beating it ASAP, but if/when I get back to it, sure, I can post more impressions. :)

Been mostly playing Animal Crossing New Horizons and Easy Come Easy Golf. :p
Well, one day, for sure! Glad you're enjoying AC and ECEG in the meantime. Been on a long series of flights today so I've been dipping my toe back into SMO for the first time in years, to try to beat that last level. 🌙

Thank you for those awesome impressions @Weiss! I played Rayman 2 for the first time a few years ago and loved it, and a video review for this game got me thinking about Rayman 2 so I'm intrigued to hear that vibe is present.

Just got this. It's a pretty basic game, but the level design and obviously the graphics are quite compelling. Also building up momentum using the roll mechanic and jumping around is really fun. I'm enjoying this so far! There's some frame pacing issues on the Switch that gave me a bit of motion sickness, but I'm able to stomach it in short bursts, which this game seems designed for. So far so good. Definitely scratching the itch of the retro 3D collect-a-thon platformers that I've been yearning to play.

Just got this. It's a pretty basic game, but the level design and obviously the graphics are quite compelling. Also building up momentum using the roll mechanic and jumping around is really fun. I'm enjoying this so far! There's some frame pacing issues on the Switch that gave me a bit of motion sickness, but I'm able to stomach it in short bursts, which this game seems designed for. So far so good. Definitely scratching the itch of the retro 3D collect-a-thon platformers that I've been yearning to play.
Sorry to hear about the motion sickness, that's really vital info for me though so I thank you for sharing it. If it's any help I had similar issues with Lunistice and Super Kiwi.

Just bought the game on Switch. Hoping it gets a physical copy eventually. :)
It's ironically published by Super Rare Games, so them doing it themselves in EU is basically assured I'd think. Though they've pulled shit before with physical-exclusive content, like Mulaka was it? Plus GBC Toki Tori is still exclusive to the SRG Two Tribes physical collection. Wonder if that was an early LRG Carbon Engine release.

Picked it up on Switch and put in 45 minutes or so. It’s a pretty nice game and I love love love the abundance of colored lighting. The rolling/momentum mechanic is pretty interesting seeing as some other upcoming or recent 3D platformers are doing things along the same line. I also appreciate they straight up tell you you can reach all the main collectibles in a world when you first reach it, in platformers where your moveset expands over time I always second guess whether I can actually reach a collectible or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom