• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is pure joy

Beard

Bob-omb
captain-toad-treasure-tracker---button-01-1529356576968.jpg

I love Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. It's such a polished, wonderful, positive, joyful, FUN video game. I played through most of it on Wii U, but never finished it, for some reason. I'm revisiting it now on Switch and it hasn't aged a day. If you're in the mood for a light puzzle game that will lift your spirits, I can't recommend this game enough.

I'm sure y'all know this already...but for any who aren't aware of this brilliant game, now you know!

It deserves a true sequel. The game is pure Nintendo and what I love about them. Just smiles all the way and lots of fun.

it's certainly a gem.

wish we could get that mario 3D world DLC thats locked on the wii u

edit: it breaks my brain a little bit that captain toad mostly has elements from 3D world (given that's where it originated), but also Odyssey DLC. its like somehow a spinoff of both games. (2nd edit: sort of like how Bowser fury is based on 3D world, plays like Odyssey, and is a spiritual sequel to Sunshine šŸ¤Æ)

Last edited:
It's the perfect game to chill out to after a long work day. It's also one of the first times thinking that a mini game should become a full game and it literally becoming a reality just months later.

Yep, it's one of the most calming games I've ever played. It's wonderful.

And has a surprising amount of content, too.

I 100% the game on Wii-U back at launch. It is a fun, wholesome game. One day I might get the Switch version if I can get a deal.

Hopefully we get a sequel at somepoint.

I forget how good this game was. The premise is very simple and the game basically takes it to its logical conclusion by the end. One of EAD's best.

I got in on that Walmart price error earlier this year and replayed it (and the Switch DLC). Enjoyed it just as much the second time through as I did the first time. Definitely a wonderful game, I hope we get more in the series someday.

I got this game for like $4 via Walmart price error. Have yet to play it, but it looks adorable!

I remember after the 3D World levels talking about how I'd love a full Captain Toad game. When I heard that jingle at the start of it's announcement trailer I jumped out of my seat with excitement. The game is lovely, and I'd be very happy to see the concept revisited and expanded upon.

It really is, it makes me superhappy.

I replayed it last month on the Switch and I just cant understand why they havnt made a sequel yet - it's brilliant!

Loved it as well. Feels mainline 3D mario quality. Gets quite challenging at the end too. Collecting everything is quite hard tho. Nescesarry because it unlocks the later hard levels.

This is one of the best hidden gems from Nintendo in the past decade. For anyone who only played it on Wii U, I whole heartedly recommend the Switch version since beyond the Odyssey levels, they added a ton in updates like co-op, Labo support, and an extra DLC level pack.

I really wish Nintendo would make a sequel to this. It's been cute seeing Captain Toad show up in other 3D Marios and Mario Kart Tour, but I want them to do more with the character.

I don't know, 3d platformers without jump always made me feel claustrophobic, Captain Toad was no exception.

It's interesting to think how they would approach game design in a sequel given how focused the original was on the Wii U Gamepad. (the touch cursor, wheel spinning, minecart sections using 2 screens on Wii U, etc.)

They were able to port it very well to Switch, but certain aspects were more concessions to get it on the system rather than something Nintendo would've done if this was an original Switch title.

I've wanted to play it since it came out on Wii U, but have yet to get around to it. Might try to pick it up soon and just keep it until I'm the mood for something lighthearted and chill, since it's always seemed perfect for that.

Played it back on Wii U, grabbed it in a price error on Switch a year or so ago and... now with the OLED in my hands there hasn't been a better time to return!

I remember playing the Super Mario 3D World Captain Toad levels and thinking "man, these levels are so much fun and a nice change of pace, I would totally play a whole game based around these" and lo and behold, it happened.

Absolutely, I really hope Captain Toad & Toadette become a mainstay with these more puzzle focused platformers. There's quite a lot of scope there to explore too beyond what they did for the first game. At very least a new game using some more of the locales from Odyssey would be awesome .

This is one of the best hidden gems from Nintendo in the past decade. For anyone who only played it on Wii U, I whole heartedly recommend the Switch version since beyond the Odyssey levels, they added a ton in updates like co-op, Labo support, and an extra DLC level pack.

I really wish Nintendo would make a sequel to this. It's been cute seeing Captain Toad show up in other 3D Marios and Mario Kart Tour, but I want them to do more with the character.

You just convinced me to get the Switch version. I had written it off due to beating the Wii U version.

Wait what. Did I miss something
Lego Builderā€™s journey, duh!

100% agreed, itā€™s an absolute gem of a game. Fingers crossed for a sequel, the extra Mario Odyssey content in the Switch version was great but not quite enough to satisfy my appetite for more Captain Toad.

I love this game and I'm going to use this as an excuse to repost my LTTP from...one point five years ago. How has it already been a year and a half since April 2020??!!!!

--

Beware, there are unmarked spoilers in this post.

I have a long history with this game. When Nintendo announced this and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and fully unveiled Yoshi's Woolly World at E3 2014, that was basically my personal E3 of dreams. I loved 3DW and the Captain Toad sections were a great change of pace.

t1u5jaj.jpg

Unfortunately, my experience with the game when it came out in late 2014 was a bit mixed. We had a 26" TV and if you've played the game you know the default camera view is very zoomed out. This is to facilitate the puzzle diorama gameplay, but they really could have used a midzoom option. I often ended up zooming in, but it zooms way, way in, too far in to navigate the levels very well...and the issue is similar on the Wii U GamePad. I also found the spinning of the diorama slightly nauseating or motion sickness-inducing with the level at the default zoom. Not something I usually have found in games.

t27ok8w.jpg

But, the game is so charming, that I learned to stop worrying and love the Todd. The game design is wonderful and the levels are clever, unique and compelling. There are a massive number of levels, too, way more than it seems at first. So I ended up playing the game on and off through 2015, and through a semi-cross country move. I got used to playing it on the Wii U GamePad. By late 2015, I had beaten the game and went back through the first set of levels to get the gems.

t3exjwb.jpg

I always intended to go back and get the rest of the gems, because I wanted to unlock all the bonus levels and then play through them all at once. I played the first 3DW level included and it wasn't very exciting but I had heard the other bonus levels were more exciting and that Mummy Me Maze Forever, the equivalent of Champions' Road, was tough but fun.

t4vqkw3.jpg

I played a few levels here and there over the ensuing years. When the Switch port was announced, and it included a midzoom option, I was greatly interested... but the demo revealed an ever-present blue cursor that was kinda immersion-breaking for me, so I passed on it. Plus, there is a tangible benefit to playing on Wii U and being able to interact with the environment using the GamePad, even if it comes with some detractions to the experience.

r5ugk28.jpg

In November of last year we finally got a new TV, 4K HDR, 55", and one of the first things I thought was, now I can play Captain Toad with the default zoom and actually see what's going on. I've been playing a bunch of other games, and mostly play games with my wife but the motion sickness thing is much stronger for her with Captain Toad, so, I finally got back into it last month. And it turns out I only had the last 11 or so levels of Book 3 to do, before moving onto the Bonus Book. The other day I finished Wingo's Whackdown with all 3 gems and moved onto the bonus levels.

I have to say, too, the music in this game is a delight, the art style is amazing to me and a nice evolution of the 3DW engine. The presentation makes it so nostalgic to play back through. When I flip from page to page, and year to year, it feels like a scrapbook of gaming memories across these levels.

-The 3DW levels are like a glorified demo for that game, but ironically I believe they were only available if you already have 3DW. Still, they were okay to play through.

-The Toad Brigade levels were a tricky spin on existing levels and I genuinely struggled through some of them because it got challenging to not have one fall in lava or get hurt.

t6fdko1.jpg

-Finally, I reached the Mummy Me levels I'd be waiting to play. I played a few of them and they were awesome...

...and then I saw that 10 are still locked. It turns out that I needed to get all the gems *and* all the secret goals in every level. But I'd only been getting the gems. I'd put a half effort into getting the goals, and had them on a handful of levels. But I'd pretty much half to play through the whole game again to get these levels unlocked. And then it turns out that beating all of those will unlock time trials. And I want to do that, too.

But I think I'm gonna put the Captain back on the digital shelf for a bit. I really enjoyed my foray back into the world of Todd but there are other games to finish up or play anew, and even though some of these levels I haven't played in 5 years, they'll be even fresher when I go back to the game. And it's nice to be able to look forward to playing the game again. I found playing on a big TV made a massive difference in being able to appreciate the details as well as just navigate the game in the intended way.

So, hopefully I will get back to it in a year or two and then I can update this thread with my progress. Mummy Me Maze Forever, indeed.

it's certainly a gem.

wish we could get that mario 3D world DLC thats locked on the wii u

edit: it breaks my brain a little bit that captain toad mostly has elements from 3D world (given that's where it originated), but also Odyssey DLC. its like somehow a spinoff of both games. (2nd edit: sort of like how Bowser fury is based on 3D world, plays like Odyssey, and is a spiritual sequel to Sunshine šŸ¤Æ)

The good news is, you're really not missing anything with those. They're literally the levels from 3DW but slightly changed to be playable with Captain Toad. They're probably the least fun part of the game; still charming, but definitely skippable.

I remember after the 3D World levels talking about how I'd love a full Captain Toad game. When I heard that jingle at the start of it's announcement trailer I jumped out of my seat with excitement. The game is lovely, and I'd be very happy to see the concept revisited and expanded upon.
This was me exactly. This was one of my favorite E3s in recent memory between Captain Toad, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and the full reveal of Yoshi's Woolly World. The 3DS/Wii U era was my favorite ever in Nintendo's history.

Back
Top Bottom