• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Capcom says Ace Attorney is “doing exceptionally well” worldwide

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
I can think of one thing you could do regarding Ace Attorney that would also be "exeptionally well" Capcom.

Capcom, give us a live action Netflix series with a good cast and we will best friends forever.

Oh, and make sure Simon Blackquill is prominently featured.

The Great Ace Attorney was such a great game, and I think it owes a lot of that to stepping away from the main series and working with a fresh slate for new characters, settings, and a grand overarching storyline. I'm not saying they don't have stories left to tell with Pheonix and the gang, but I wonder if they might try something like that again, maybe with a future setting?

Capcom, give us a live action Netflix series with a good cast and we will best friends forever.

See this is one video game adaption that could actually be truly special and do amazingly well. Murder and courtroom drama shows are very popular and if they got a good cast it would do gangbusters.

I hope the next game is a Miles Edgeworth game instead of a mainline AA. One where Edgy becomes a PI after quitting as prosecutor, solves cases in 3D environment with some help from Gumshoe and Skye.

AA series got really boring with the 6th game, with the introduction of unnecessary stuff like Khura'in gimmicks and the worst prosecutor of all, Nahyuta Sahdmadhi. If they're planning a AA7, the game needs to be a hard reboot.

I hope the next game is a Miles Edgeworth game instead of a mainline AA. One where Edgy becomes a PI after quitting as prosecutor, solves cases in 3D environment with some help from Gumshoe and Skye.

AA series got really boring with the 6th game, with the introduction of unnecessary stuff like Khura'in gimmicks and the worst prosecutor of all, Nahyuta Sahdmadhi. If they're planning a AA7, the game needs to be a hard reboot.

In a way GAA provided a refresh in a different era/setting. I'd be up for another one like that. Shu Takumi would have to be convinced to make another mainline entry or maybe a newcomer/planner who gets promoted to writer/director level would do it. I'd rather get 7 and see what it is first. Seeing as how the director of 4-6 (and the AAI duology) left Capcom, I do wonder if 7 was put on hold until Takumi or someone else became free to make it..

I also would like the rest of the games to get ported as well, since 3DS digital only is not a good place to be now...

So Capcom, Apollo Trilogy? Investigations duology? I just replayed them this year and I won't mind doing it again on Switch. AA7 with Athena focus?

Also damn, didn't know that Yamazaki left Capcom, Investigations 2 and Spirit of Justice are my favorite games in the series.

dai-gyakuten-saiban-sherlock-holmes.gif

Imma just say it. Great Ace Attorney was better off for staying (relatively) grounded and not delving into the weird mysticism of the main series.

Imma just say it. Great Ace Attorney was better off for staying (relatively) grounded and not delving into the weird mysticism of the main series.
Agreed. I think AA6 makes use of the channeling concept in an incredibly clever way, and I pretty much view AA3 as a masterpiece, and I still prefer AA to avoid magic and mysticism.

Really hoping we get AA7 or something else soon. I played the GAA games in Japanese so for me it's been a while since a new release in the series.

Ehhh. I really disagree with this. I can see how the mysticism can be offputting, but it's such a unique feature of the series. I feel like there's basically nothing in all of fiction that feels like mainline Ace Attorney, whereas there are books and movies that take place in the same era as GAA that feel a bit similar, which makes them feel less "special" to me.

The Great Ace Attorney was such a great game, and I think it owes a lot of that to stepping away from the main series and working with a fresh slate for new characters, settings, and a grand overarching storyline. I'm not saying they don't have stories left to tell with Pheonix and the gang, but I wonder if they might try something like that again, maybe with a future setting?

I think it’s pretty stark just how fresh and developed the characters feel by the end of the Great Ace Attorney duology in comparison to 5 and 6 where a lot of returning characters feel completely superfluous and have no material impact on the plot. My dream for AA7 is they’re able to do what their original vision was for AJ and have it centered on a new cast.

All that said, I’m desperate enough for more Ace Attorney that I’ll basically take anything at this point. 456 collection, Investigations collection, AA7, GAA3, Wendy Oldbag dating simulator, whatever just give it to me.

They could call it The Great Space Attorney!

I really want a new Ace Attorney game first, then an Investigations collection (we need 2 globally!), and finally a collection of 4/5/6 with the 3DS dead. Hopefully Capcom can act on this success sooner than later.

I will be really disappointed if AA7 just has Phoenix as the lead again. It won't surprise me if they do go that way as AA has had a bit of an online renaissance and they want to reinforce the brand...

I agree with other people saying TGAA being divorced from all that made it a stronger game. All of the main characters in that game grow over 2 closely knit stories and it works so well. Meanwhile every character in the main series has multiple backstories or have been arrested 3+ times etc.

Just reboot the series. I love Phoenix and all, but any future games really need a hard reset.

Basically, just make a new version of what Apollo Justice was supposed to be before Phoenix hijacked the entire game

Yamazaki leaving in 2020 likely coincided with the existing version of AA7 that was intended for 2021 getting canned/rebooted. In conjunction with COVID I'd assume that we are still a ways out from a new game.

Or at least just give us the live action Japan already got years ago. No thanks to Netflix, don't need them tbh

Just reboot the series. I love Phoenix and all, but any future games really need a hard reset.

Basically, just make a new version of what Apollo Justice was supposed to be before Phoenix hijacked the entire game
Hot take

If Phoenix hadn't hijacked AJ, that game would be even more bland and boring.

Hot take

If Phoenix hadn't hijacked AJ, that game would be even more bland and boring.
I mean, that probably would have been the case because Apollo Justice is pretty bad in general.

Though, I kinda would have liked to see how it would have turned out as its own thing, since everything aside from Phoenix feels really half-baked in comparison

AJ has some significant issues, but it’s the kind of game that I look back on a lot more fondly in retrospect. Sort of the anti Dual Destinies in that respect.

Mind you, not sure I’m keen enough to actually replay it any time soon. 4-3 is still very vivid in memory.

Well, maybe they will translate the game in French this time.

... and maybe we will get a physical release in Europe.

Capcom, please.

lot of mention of Ghost Trick and givin me a lot of false hope here after being such a massive fan for like a decade now

im just afraid the remaster isn't going to do especially well even with all the built-up word of mouth for such a long time. i really really want it to

This remember me I started playeing The Great Attorney on my Switch and didn't even finish the first case... something felt off with it, like it took too much dialogue and flavour text to get to the point of things and the pure deduction aspect of the game which made me grow bored of it. I will give it a second chance because I loved the first two games in the series.

This remember me I started playeing The Great Attorney on my Switch and didn't even finish the first case... something felt off with it, like it took too much dialogue and flavour text to get to the point of things and the pure deduction aspect of the game which made me grow bored of it. I will give it a second chance because I loved the first two games in the series.

Great Ace Attorney is peak AA, when it gets going it never lets up. it also has one of the strongest connected plots in the whole franchise imo, really grand story told through the two games.

Great Ace Attorney is peak AA, when it gets going it never lets up. it also has one of the strongest connected plots in the whole franchise imo, really grand story told through the two games.

More motivation to give it a second chance! I definitely will.

Some of that doesn't really change, they are definitely the most wordy set of games from the series (and imo the simplicity of some of the cases doesn't warrant the amount of time spent on them), and they are by far the ones that require the least amount of thinking as well when it gets to the deduction aspect. I still like them overall, but those aspects stand out for me as negatives.

Yes please but also, I wouldn't say no to another GAA.

AJ has some significant issues, but it’s the kind of game that I look back on a lot more fondly in retrospect. Sort of the anti Dual Destinies in that respect.

Mind you, not sure I’m keen enough to actually replay it any time soon. 4-3 is still very vivid in memory.
4-1 is the only case in AJ that has ever been good or held up with time. 4-2 wastes a clever premise the real killer hired you because you were a rookie/nobody expecting you to fail on one of the dumbest set of circumstances in the series a panty thief being obsessed with magic panties from a 14 year old. 4-4 is like 1-5 in that in creates an overly complicated set of rules for it's case only to justify taking down an abnormally secure killer. Now that we've gotten GAA2 we know that yes, such a plot twist can work in a case that actually has good pacing.

Imo 4-3 is the worst case in the series. Between that awful music video, the absurdity of who the defendant is, and the absurdity over the twist about how the Defendant is pretending to be blind to hide the fact the singer is. Just ugh, AJ has always sucked and will always suck. It's why I push back on the whole "I want to see an AJ without Phoenix" because the two middle cases are basically that, and they're awful.

At the same time I'm extremely glad they didn't bother bringing the games over until they were both done.

I feel like GAA1 would be way lower on how much I like it if it had cut off where it did without resolving much and just been left at that for 2 years.

Man how would RE:Engine even look for Ace Attorney? Its biggest strength is photo-realism, which is not AA's artstyle lol.
Would be a nice change in artstyle hahaha. Seriously though, Ghost and Goblins Ressurection also uses RE:Engine and is very stylized. Not everything with it is going to be photorealistic.

I really disagree with people calling for a series reboot. There's 20+ years of great continuity in a story-driven franchise, it would be a shame to throw that all away.

I agree moving away from Phoenix as the lead protagonist is necessary (i.e. what AA4 was supposed to be), he's better served as a mentor character now. Especially since the last 3 mainline games have built up 2 other viable protagonists that can use development; having an Athena-only game would be great.

If they wanted to do something more fresh, a Yakuza 7-style soft reboot is the better way to go. Keep the universe but gives more room to creatively. Getting rid of the continuity entirely is just unnecessary. Also, AA6 ended on a cliffhanger (for a plot that's being going on since AA4) so I don't see them taking that route

Great Ace Attorney was sooo good, it made me buy the og trilogy.
I want more games in the vein of TGAA
Honestly my biggest want out of AA right now is a Great Ace Attorney: Investigations spinoff starring Holmes and
Yujin

That or Debeste starring as the lead prosecutor in AA7.

Last edited:
We know Takumi can branch out (and be even better in my opinion) from Ghost Trick. Lots of chance for fresh ideas if Capcom wants to fund it. Just slap “from the creative mind behind the Ace Attorney franchise,” on the box for marketing. I would think now is a good time for new adventure/VN franchises from Capcom.

That or Debeste starring as the lead prosecutor in AA7.
You know, the one sad thing about an official AAI2 localization would be... he will probably not called Debeste there. The fannames are so good, it would be such a strange feeling to get new official names for some of this characters.

I really disagree with people calling for a series reboot. There's 20+ years of great continuity in a story-driven franchise, it would be a shame to throw that all away.

I agree moving away from Phoenix as the lead protagonist is necessary (i.e. what AA4 was supposed to be), he's better served as a mentor character now. Especially since the last 3 mainline games have built up 2 other viable protagonists that can use development; having an Athena-only game would be great.
I mean, it's not like Capcom is going to build on the previous estabilished character arcs.
They have that dumb no-spoiler rule where they refuse to acknowledge past games.

I mean, it's not like Capcom is going to build on the previous estabilished character arcs.
They have that dumb no-spoiler rule where they refuse to acknowledge past games.
They definitely acknowledge past games, even if it's not direct all the time. That rule has really only applied to revealing past culprits.

Like AA6 was an Apollo-focueed game that continued his character development from the past 2.l games. And it ended on a cliffhanger from a past plot thread from AA4

Back
Top Bottom