• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Serious Cancer treatment update: 4/18/24 First post-treatment checkup done!

Síriocaz

Xenoblade Enjoyer
Wanted to make this thread to raise some awareness about what I'm going through right now, especially if you're a man around my age (25).

About three months ago I started noticing my right testis getting stiff, and I actively ignored this glaring symptom, deducing that, in the worst case scenario, it was something like epididymitis caused by an infection.

Mistake, but fortunately it doesn't end too bad.

Two weeks ago I effectively noticed it had got really big, I had trouble sitting and going to the bathroom, so last Monday I finally went to the urologist. He used his small ultrasound and almost immediately notified me it was a tumor. A large one. As a result, he set up blood tests, a CT scan and another, more reliable ultrasound.

I got those done, and indeed the tumor dimensions were significantly large and one of my tumor markers were off the charts (AFP). Based on his previous experience, the urologist told me it was overwhelmingly likely a carcinoma type of tumor, so more probable than not, I'll have to get either one round or chemo or get checked routinely. Or both. It will all depend on the tumor type and staging.

THE GOOD NEWS is that everything remained localized in the right testis, no extensions in the lymph nodes or other parts of the body. Testicular cancer is still highly treatable even after it's spread elsewhere, but a localized affliction overwhelmingly makes the prognosis better in the long term.

I took my results with the urologist today and he suggested to make the orchiectomy, the entire extirpation of the testis, right away, in that moment. I accepted and now you have me here in my bed writing this post lol When dealing with the possibility of testicular cancer, the extirpation is almost always mandatory, there's no way around it.

But yeah, the takeaway here is that, the moment you notice something different in your body, please don't hesitate in calling for help, as the last thing you want is a bigger problem. I dodged a bullet by not having metastasis in the rest of my body, but it probably was about from nothing to extend elsewhere, who knows. Maybe the testis could've been saved (unlikely, like I said, but still worth nothing), but it all boils down to the same thing: the sooner, the better.

I wish you the best, guys, I wanted to post this here because this is a community I really enjoy coming to. Not sure if that's silly but it came out of the heart, that should be enough xS

Glad to hear you are on the mend and they have done the necessary to prevent event things getting worse, wishing you all the best!

Glad to hear you are on the mend and they have done the necessary to prevent event things getting worse, wishing you all the best!
Thanks! I wrote this before the anesthesia completely waned and I started feeling some unbearable itchiness, like a kind I didn't think was possible. It was crazy lol But I'm pulling through!

Sending the most positive of positive vibes your direction.

Cancer is terrifying, but I know from family members that treatment is getting more advanced and specific every year, and it is absolutely amazing the things they can do now to isolate and treat tumours.

This has certainly reminded me I need to check for lumps more regularly.

Happy to hear you are okay, but damn, cancer at 25 is rough. I suppose the silver lining is your body is better equipped to fight it when you're that young.

Happy to hear you are okay, but damn, cancer at 25 is rough. I suppose the silver lining is your body is better equipped to fight it when you're that young.
Yeah, it's rough, but thankfully the type also helps. This day has been a little tough because I couldn't urinate (a byproduct of the anesthesia), but it was solved and now I'm going home.

I feel so relieved.

Damn, tough news but glad you are ok! I personally don't think this is NSFW, on the contrary. It's important to raise awareness. Thanks OP for sharing this!

You didn't got nerfed my friend, quite the contrary, you will be more healthy , you will get OP after your recuperation. I wish you the best.

Had a close friend go through almost exactly this situation at exactly this age. First off, just wanna reassure you that his life is pretty good! He has a lot of hot girlfriends, it's infuriating.

Second, thanks for sharing and reminding folk to care for themselves. The be-dicked especially tend to be careless, even more so in your 20s. Congrats to you for taking care of yourself.

I have arrived home and, with anesthesia gone, I feel very done lol The injury hurts a bit, I can't wake up very easily, even less do my job (which sucks).

Greetings from mah bed.

I have arrived home and, with anesthesia gone, I feel very done lol The injury hurts a bit, I can't wake up very easily, even less do my job (which sucks).

Greetings from mah bed.
Are you at least fit enough to play Xenoblade? I ask this as a fellow Xenoblade enjoyer.

Get well soon!

Are you at least fit enough to play Xenoblade? I ask this as a fellow Xenoblade enjoyer.

Get well soon!
Yeah, I can sit without hurting now, but I haven't been in the mood of playing anything. Since I'm generally lying on my bed and can't fulfill any responsibility just yet, I kill time on YT and read and write on my phone.

I didn't anticipate the surgery to be this incapacitating, and in hindsight I'm not sure why I didn't, but yeah, I still can't walk very well.

Good one, guys. I would like to make an update.

It's been a crazy last ten days. Recovery from the surgery went excellent, some pain when waking up but all good. My pathology report arrived on the 15th and it showed the composition of the tumor, 2% of which was a possible sarcoma that still has to be confirmed or discarded in a final analysis. Sarcomas are very dangerous tumors, usually appearing in bones, but they can arise in soft tissue as well, sometimes from teratomas (and 20% of my tumor was also a teratoma).

Naturally, I was concerned but, thankfully, the prognosis is excellent, even if the sarcoma gets confirmed next week. Since there was no spread to anything but I have raised tumoral markers in my blood, I was landed on stage 1S. Like the other first types, 1S almost always ends in complete cure.

The kind of rough news is that I will have to go through 4 cycles of chemo. A typical treatment for this is three rounds of BEP (the acronym for the drugs used), but I will most likely go with EP, without the B in the mix. My oncologist says it's less aggressive and more appropriate for my tumor type.

4 cycles means that I will be roughly three months out of action. 4 cycles also mean hefty economical prices.

Really tough situation all around but it has to be done. I remain positive for the future and once again I encourage everybody to keep track of their health as much as possible, because this ain't it.

Still, chemo will probably start at the end of August.

Good one, guys. I would like to make an update.

It's been a crazy last ten days. Recovery from the surgery went excellent, some pain when waking up but all good. My pathology report arrived on the 15th and it showed the composition of the tumor, 2% of which was a possible sarcoma that still has to be confirmed or discarded in a final analysis. Sarcomas are very dangerous tumors, usually appearing in bones, but they can arise in soft tissue as well, sometimes from teratomas (and 20% of my tumor was also a teratoma).

Naturally, I was concerned but, thankfully, the prognosis is excellent, even if the sarcoma gets confirmed next week. Since there was no spread to anything but I have raised tumoral markers in my blood, I was landed on stage 1S. Like the other first types, 1S almost always ends in complete cure.

The kind of rough news is that I will have to go through 4 cycles of chemo. A typical treatment for this is three rounds of BEP (the acronym for the drugs used), but I will most likely go with EP, without the B in the mix. My oncologist says it's less aggressive and more appropriate for my tumor type.

4 cycles means that I will be roughly three months out of action. 4 cycles also mean hefty economical prices.

Really tough situation all around but it has to be done. I remain positive for the future and once again I encourage everybody to keep track of their health as much as possible, because this ain't it.

Still, chemo will probably start at the end of August.
Glad to hear that the surgery went well and that you have a strong prognosis. Rooting for safe and stable chemo treatments.

Glad to hear that the surgery went well and that you have a strong prognosis. Rooting for safe and stable chemo treatments.
I started today, 19 rounds to go.

My only symptoms today were weird contractions in face muscles and some minor stomachache, some tiredness as well. It should get progressively worse, but I've got an iron will!

However, after I got out, I think my sense of taste got nuked because food doesn't have any flavor to it anymore 😂

Hey man! Hope the chemo isn’t kicking your butt. You got this :)

I also had testicular cancer recently (yay, cancer twins (?)), but I was lucky enough to have caught it very early. I say lucky because in my case I never felt anything odd. There was no pain (there almost never is with testicular cancer). I just scratched one ball and noticed some weird, rock-like thing attached to it. I had also been to a urologist for a routine check up 6 months prior, so the shit must have been recent.

Anyway, had my surgery as well and now have a fake testicle! My case was a weird one, too, since everything pointed at me not getting chemo: seminome tumor, small, no metastaysis, etc. But my AFP levels were a little high (16-19) and wouldn’t budge. I was lucky to have a great oncologist (specialized in TC) who told me (after my case was looked over by other doctors) that my AFP was just naturally a bit higher. 6 months after my last scan (and about 9 from surgery), scans are all clear and AFP levels still won’t budge, lol.

Everything is going to be okay, OP! And yes, if you’re aged between 18-35, do get those balls checked out! If you notice anything odd, that is. It’s not a common cancer but it’s more common amongst young men.

That's great news, OP, glad to hear you're recovering well and has already started chemo. In no time you will 100% and in a few years this will all have become just memories of a tough time.

Stay strong!

Hey man! Hope the chemo isn’t kicking your butt. You got this :)

I also had testicular cancer recently (yay, cancer twins (?)), but I was lucky enough to have caught it very early. I say lucky because in my case I never felt anything odd. There was no pain (there almost never is with testicular cancer). I just scratched one ball and noticed some weird, rock-like thing attached to it. I had also been to a urologist for a routine check up 6 months prior, so the shit must have been recent.

Anyway, had my surgery as well and now have a fake testicle! My case was a weird one, too, since everything pointed at me not getting chemo: seminome tumor, small, no metastaysis, etc. But my AFP levels were a little high (16-19) and wouldn’t budge. I was lucky to have a great oncologist (specialized in TC) who told me (after my case was looked over by other doctors) that my AFP was just naturally a bit higher. 6 months after my last scan (and about 9 from surgery), scans are all clear and AFP levels still won’t budge, lol.

Everything is going to be okay, OP! And yes, if you’re aged between 18-35, do get those balls checked out! If you notice anything odd, that is. It’s not a common cancer but it’s more common amongst young men.
Thanks a lot for the words! First cycle was a little tough... Heavy tiredness, weird taste and tinnitus were the main symptoms, but it was manageable. If anything, the emotional toll on the family has been even more difficult to handle, this disease is nuts. Even so, I'm onto the next cycle next Monday.

It's been three days since my third chemo cycle finished and I think just now I feel good enough to write comfortably on my phone.

In retrospective, the first cycle was easy cake, the second was tough and the third one has been a nightmare with its side effects, especially since last Wednesday or so. Constant nausea, then vomiting beginning in Friday, extreme tiredness, "head numbness" and a horrifying taste in my mouth. Don't think I've ever felt this bad this long before in my life.

However, like I said, I feel much better today and now I have two free weeks ahead of myself without chemo, I'll try to enjoy them a lot. Next cycle is set to be the last one, but I won't lie, it really scares given how bad the third one was, but if it's going to put the probability of cancer recurrence at 2%, then I'm all for it.

Stay strong OP. Chemo is an absolute nightmare to deal with, but you just have to focus on what's beyond the last round of treatment. The treatment itself is passing, the thing you need to keep in your head is the years you're going to get out of this.

You're doing great. You've got this.

This is amazing news, OP! Hang in there, it will be over in a minute.
Stay strong OP. Chemo is an absolute nightmare to deal with, but you just have to focus on what's beyond the last round of treatment. The treatment itself is passing, the thing you need to keep in your head is the years you're going to get out of this.

You're doing great. You've got this.
Thanks a lot, I mean it.

Awesome news! Just read your OP today but an amazing update.
Thanks a lot! I slept all day yesterday and today, now I almost feel like a comfy Snorlax. Wishing to resume my normal activities ASAP, but I still feel very weak :'(

Next up, though, is a three recess until a new set of blood tests and then three months for new scans. Going strong!

Thanks a lot! I slept all day yesterday and today, now I almost feel like a comfy Snorlax. Wishing to resume my normal activities ASAP, but I still feel very weak :'(

Next up, though, is a three recess until a new set of blood tests and then three months for new scans. Going strong!
Little by little you will get there! Feel really happy to see someone kick this disease ass. Wish you all the best OP!

Since I already documented much of my progress, I'll continue.

One month after I was done with chemo, I essentially felt like my "old self", nausea was the last symptom that faded away, although thinking about lemon popsicles, which they gave me in hopes of easing precisely the nausea, made me feel like throwing up, and still do today from time to time.

Besides that, I've been feeling really great! Last Monday I had my first post-chemo treatment checkup and everything came back fine, I'm on the clear for the next nine months. I got very nervous on the weekend, because had they detected something, I would have required chemo again, possibly surgery, which NOPE, hopefully not lol

I wouldn't be declared cancer free until 5 years down the road, but I'll manage.

As a cancer survivor, if it helps at all, each checkup gets a little less scary than the last, and with each one your chances of being free of it forever goes up and up.
I'm currently waiting on the results of my 4-year-mark scans.

You've been through one of the scariest things a human being can go through, so be proud of yourself for getting through it.
You got this buddy.

If you ever need to chat to someone who's been through the whole process, feel free to PM any time.

Last edited:
As a cancer survivor, if it helps at all, each checkup gets a little less scary than the last, and with each one your chances of being free of it forever goes up and up.
I'm currently waiting on the results of my 4-year-mark scans.

You've been through one of the scariest things a human being can go through, so be proud of yourself for getting through it.
You got this buddy.

If you ever need to chat to someone who's been through the whole process, feel free to PM any time.
Thanks a lot, my friend. I guess you're almost on the other line, that's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom