• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Can Anyone Explain To Me The Functionality Of Materia's Laundry Basket Dress?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1141
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1141

50e62570009076a5bafc07cf4d6412fd.png

I just don't understand this... Even ignoring the odd sexualization going on, I just... don't... understand it.

Maybe it was supposed to be like one of those old dress frames (which I just discovered are called crinolines) but she just forgot to put the actual dress over it

Maybe it was supposed to be like one of those old dress frames (which I just discovered are called crinolines) but she just forgot to put the actual dress over it

I did a search on them (which I never knew what they were called either), and this image is amazing.

6558419.png

I did find this imagine on Google Images, you might actually be correct:

crinoline-historie-blog-2_orig.jpg

That said, regardless if that's the origin or not, obviously it's intended to show the skin as much but it somehow even looks more ridiculous than...

...when Tri-Ace somehow thought Fiore's design was okay for Star Ocean 5:

latest.png

StarOcean5-19.jpg

Actually, no, Fiore's design might be worse. I seem to remember she's not the only one to wear this design in game, but the reasoning really felt the same logic as Kojima's "she breathes through her skin", as the staff mentioned her tribe wears really revealing clothing as a means to show their symbology casting symbols. But the obvious reason is... Well, you know.

Also, somehow the staff didn't think her design would cause the game to get such a huge rating increase, since they were targeting a low age rating (B/12+ was what they intended at worst), and CERO came back with a C/15+ rating. Wonder why...

That said, regardless if that's the origin or not
It is. Nomura obviously deployed it to show skin and because he loves intersecting/overlapping lines (belts!), but it is definitely taking inspiration from crinolines, which show up on runways every few years exposed or on top of other things. Harris Reed recently deployed them quite a bit - on Harry Styles in Vogue last year and on Iman at the Met Gala. They’re very much still a thing in fashion. I think there’s also a hint of Gaultier’s Fifth Element work in there.

Personally I think this is over designed - the wings seem unnecessary, for one, and the hat is horrendous. A simple crinoline with some nice splashes of colour on it and a slightly longer skirt with the gear motif could have been a serve but the overabundance of gears is tacky and blunt and the ones on the bra push it into camp. Which…sounds about right for Nomura lol.

FWIW I think that Star Ocean design is way worse, both aesthetically and in terms of fan service. But they’re both boots.

Back
Top Bottom