• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Bravely Default producer Tomoya Asano seemingly hints at remaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazi

picross pundit
During a recent live stream celebrating Bravely Default‘s 10th anniversary, producer Tomoya Asano seemingly hinted that a remastered version of the game is planned.

The turn-based RPG first launched for 3DS on October 11, 2012 in Japan. To commemorate the 10th anniversary, Square Enix held the broadcast “Square Enix Asano Team Development Room Radio #1: Bravely Celebrates Its 10th Anniversary,” during which a high-resolution version of the game’s opening movie was shown.
Speaking during the live stream, Asano said, “Over the past 10 years, our team has grown larger, and our capacity has increased. Looking at the opening movie of [Bravely Default:] Flying Fairy, I feel like announcing a remaster of [Bravely Default:] Flying Fairy would be the best possible thing and something fans would desire. But for now I’m unfortunately unable to announce anything like that. ‘For now,’ let’s just say.”

I don't know if I have the will in me to play BD1 and the second half of the game again lol.

Hope they remaster it though, they're solid Jrpgs with an amazing soundtrack.

It was good, but that second half made me quit. Can’t see myself ever returning

I finally beat Bravely Default earlier this year. It’s an interesting game I think they should bring back and while I think people should play it, I really do not recommend actually trying to finish it. The gameplay loops are an absolute drag by the end of it and I don’t feel justifies a largely cool-ish ending. There are elements of that game, both well known and not well known, that also only make sense on 3DS that also lead me to question why you’d bother to port it even if the core game would translate fine. Maybe it makes more sense for the next Switch who knows.

I would vastly prefer Bravely Third over a remaster of the first one, waiting for Bravely Default III

btw, the more I play jrpg i nthe past months, the more I think that BDII was actually great. Despite the characters-look sh*tstorm vs the beloved HD-2D for which Triangle strategy, live-a-live or octopath II are getting for example, its core-mechanics (bravely combat system, job skills and outlook and even the story) were actually addicting and entertaining

I would vastly prefer Bravely Third over a remaster of the first one, waiting for Bravely Default III

btw, the more I play jrpg i nthe past months, the more I think that BDII was actually great. Despite the characters-look sh*tstorm vs the beloved HD-2D for which Triangle strategy, live-a-live or octopath II are getting for example, its core-mechanics (bravely combat system, job skills and outlook and even the story) were actually addicting and entertaining
This is where I am too. I have no desire to play the first one again. The time loop gimmick (which isn’t so much a ‘second half’ as you can fly through them in an hour if you want, it just gets listed as such as it’s chapters 5-7 of an 8 chapter game where chapters 1-4 make up 80% of the game) didn’t do anything for me, it’s just annoying and felt like padding as you’re still running through the same dungeons to fight the same bosses. It’s a chore that exists solely to justify a clever concept, but I didn’t find it fun to play.

Loved BDII though, which I felt played with the same idea of meta elements to a much more pleasing result. Looking forward to seeing what they do with BDIII if it gets made, but happy to leave the series origins on 3DS.

There’s also other elements that have aged like milk, like the creepy sex pest old wizard NPC, who is supposed to be one of your most powerful allies, perving on Agnes. I was glad they left all that shit out for BDII. If only Persona, Dragon Quest etc could do the same.

Last edited:
Bro I would die, BD is one of my favourite games of all time!! Haven't played 2 yet because its long and ugly, hope the remaster wouldnt look like it exactly. But I've wanted HD BD for so long (rip Streetpass tho)

I've not played Bravely Default 1 so I think a remaster would be day 1 - not sure what the issue is with the 2nd half but maybe they could tweak it slightly to make it less annoying?

Time to add more variations to the second half and make Bravely Default the GOAT contender it always had the potential to be.

And, yes, rewrite pervy tailor.

I've not played Bravely Default 1 so I think a remaster would be day 1 - not sure what the issue is with the 2nd half but maybe they could tweak it slightly to make it less annoying?
That's what I hope they do, in theory it wouldn't be too hard to streamline some of the elements that make the infamous section of the game drag on a bit.

I expected this to happen years ago when they were posting Switch art on their social channels. Only a matter of time I guess.

I loved Bravely Default and Second. I would buy a collection that has both of them. They have very memorable final boss sequences and endearing characters.

Not playing through the real ending and seeing the games twist myself is one of my biggest regreats in gaming. I would love to give the game a second chance. The best thing would be a FFVII like remaster. Hey, it's just a "remaster" nothing "more". :sneaky:

I'm going to be very original here and say it was one of my favourite JRPGs ever until the second half made me quit, lol

They'd have to have some way to speed that nonsense up in a remaster.

The 2nd half feels really freaking repetitive. Mind you, I knew about it ahead of time, and in terms of actual time consumed, I flew through it. But I still felt drained from the repetition.
Overall, I think that BD1 is worth playing. But I'm not seeing myself going through it again anytime soon.

Bravely Default and (what little I played of) Second are just okay in my experience, but I always fully support saving games marooned on the 3DS. Also I hope they take time to tweak that part.

The first loop with the perspective differences should stay, and the second loop should be significantly more remixed, and then the finale. People exaggerate how bad it is in the base game but it's still needlessly repetitious

Bravely Default 1 is special . An all time classic and not going for true ending is something I don’t regret. The false ending is still superb. If they revisit it fixing the wizard issues is probably the only thing I want to change. Salute to Ringabel, def on the short list of fave JRPG characters for me. Bravely Second side stories are better than the main plot and has some inventive jobs. I love the old and new cast meshing. I just don’t think the flow is as strong as one. I just want a third game with the old cast instead of a remake tbh.

The 3DS games scale to HD amazingly well even with their current assets. I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner tbh.

I still have a sealed copy of the original and bravely second on my shelf. Ill get to them eventually lol

I wanted to post about this for years.

Bravely Default 1
is garbage
and here's why
(19:28:53)​

Now that I have your attention : no, BD 1 isn't garbage but the storytelling and its design always put me in a bad mood and I hated this part and the consequences of what I did despite the game telling you in small messages that you should do it, it made me stop the game forever (and yes, it is linked to the loop, BUT !).

Big Spoilers :

The story constantly tells you that you should disobey, that following orders isn't the way we should do. And after doing 2 entire loops, I've started to disobey Airy. And I did so much that I unlocked a new story segment and the title screen became "Lying Airy". I loved this, I was like "Man, this is genius".

But then I finished the game and got the bad ending because the final chapters are locked ! So I was forced to do all the loops anyway, so don't disobey, follow the orders and don't listen to what the game is telling you to do since the beginning despite the fact that Airy is lying. That's the real subtitle of the game !

Yay, do the same thing 16 (sixteen) times, it's so much fun to read and hear the same dialogue each time at each crystals in each loop.​

Whoever designed this should be forced to listen to Bubsy talking in Bubsy 3D for at least 16 hours in a row.​

If they streamline the end of the game I would consider it. Otherwise I'm out, I really didn't like it even if the concept on paper was cool.

Count me as one of those weirdos who actually loved the game, including the thing everybody hated, so I'd be up for playing it again.

Remaster? No, thank you.

Remake with all the qol BD2 has? Yeah, I'll take that. As long as the announcement comes with the announcement of Bravely Third game.

We will be locking this thread. Please refrain from bumping old threads with tangentially related posts. If you want to talk about BD1, please start a new thread instead.

- meatbag, MissingNo, Dardan Sandiego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom